Shangri-La Hotel Suzhou
Agoda.com
$80
$40
Agoda.com
Home Inn Suzhou Zhuozhengyuan(Suzhou)(Great Value!)
$95
$78
Trip.com
All reviewshorizon clubhealth clubgreat hotelbusiness triphotel offerscomfortable bedhome away from homenice roompublic areaspleasant stayfitness centerother hotelsconciergechinabettytaxilounge
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 19, 2013

What a great hotel. From the doorman Chris to the room attendant Sherry everything could not have been better. Great service, rooms, breakfast, health club, cleanliness of hotel and even a July 4th celebration to make me feel at home. Plenty of shops and restaurants in the area. Easy to get to Jingi lake by train and other Suzhou attractions. 5 stars all the way.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've traveled to Suzhou numerous times and have had the pleasure of staying at the Shangri-La for the last few visits. The staff is friendly and eager to help out in any way, they make it a point to remember both names (Thanks Chris!) and what special coffee you want in the morning. Their management staff is a mix of both local and western people, which gives customers like me a comfort level knowing I have many options to choose from when discussing an issue.
I rated them with 5 points because it is not how nice the place is, but how they react and help when an issue occurs. Both Service Managers I met (David Li and Peter Yao) were sincere and a great help whenever I needed something.
Get a corner room if you can (room 19 on any floor is nice) and enjoy a spacious room with comfort and quiet.
Not everything is perfect, and my only suggestion to this Shangri-La is to have a mouse pad available in each room. The work desks have a nice look, but the glass top over the wood furniture makes the remote LED mouse non-functional.
Just a block away from a lot of Japanese restaurants and a few blocks from a shopping mall, it should please anyone from business to pleasure.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ask for the corner room if possible! Room 19 on any floor is nice!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Jeanny H, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear SkipHipp,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Shangri-La hotel during your recent return visit to Suzhou, and for taking the time to share with us your valuable comments.

We are most grateful and delighted to learn of your enjoyable stay, and that we have also shared your generous compliments with our management and colleagues. Your kind encouragement will most certainly reassure us to continually strive to deliver the level of service that you have come to expect from a Shangri-La hotel. Thank you also for your suggestion on the need for a mouse pad in our guestrooms, which we shall gladly provide in the very near future.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Shangri-La Hotel, Suzhou in the very near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We recently had a short break to Suzhou and stayed at the Shangri La. We had two interconnecting rooms which were neutrally decorated and spaciously adequate for a short break. The hotel hasn't been modernised in a while, but that wasn't the problem as it was more the niggly things that kept cropping up. We arrived to have lunch in the restaurant and my children were served rancid grated parmesan which was already heavily poured over their pasta. When we asked to have more pasta (it was impossible to get the cheese off) the chef became argumentative (via the poor waitress) and actually said we didn't specify 'Italian' parmesan! What could have been a 2 minute conversation turned out to be a 15 minute ordeal because the chef wouldn't admit the cheese was rancid (my children spend their summers in Italy are are practically parmesan connoisseurs!!). It was long, uncomfortable and my children were starving. Not a great start. The Japanese restaurant for dinner was so so and took ages to get our food despite being the only people in the restaurant and frankly I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I had a massage that evening and was subjected to what sounded like boulders being dropped and rolled above me for a good 20 minutes. My massage therapist disappeared for 10 minutes to find out what the ruckus was as she too was alarmed by the sound. I was then informed that as the hotel doesn't occupy the entire building, staff couldn't control the noise from other occupants. Turn down service covered one room but not the other for some strange reason (the interconnecting doors were opened). This is just a few off the top of my head of what I would deem as little annoyances. In all fairness, the the staff went out of their way to rectify everything. We had hotel managers coming to visit us to apologise, the head of concierge services came to apologise and offer treats for the children and the night manager gave me his mobile number should I have needed to use it. They offered a complimentary massage for the noisy one I experienced. I felt the staff were so wonderful and were really trying to be accommodating, but were let down by what I'm not really sure - organisation, management? The hotel is not in a great location, in fact, there is no great location in Suzhou as it has now grown into one polluted, expansive, concreted urban sprawl. Sadly, the charm of Suzhou (from our visit 15 years ago) has vanished and even the old town and canals are disappearing.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Jeanny H, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear FamilyHennessy,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Shangri-La Hotel, Suzhou and for taking the time to share the valuable comments with us.

We are most concerned with service issue you have raised here. To look into the issue thoroughly, we appreciate if you could provide us your contact information and further details by sending email at jeanny.hu@shangri-la.com. We will share with the management and take necessary investigation.

We thank you again for your review of our property and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks and regards,

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We stayed at the Shangri-La Suzhou Hotel whilst on an organised tour in June 2012.

The foyer was decorated beautifully with chandeliers and exquisite flower arrangements.

Our allocated room was on the 31st floor. It was a modern, clean and spacious room – had everything you could possibly want. Only one possible thing missing were “personal scales”, but who really needs them on holidays :)

The bathroom was well-designed with a separate shower and bath (see photos). The shower was a little difficult to operate as it was on a vertical slide and the water came out of the shower head on a vertical slant.

Free Internet access was a bonus.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stay here 9 days for business trip. Hotel near by industry area but far from city center. The nearest shopping and dining place is Tesco which is about 5 minutes walking distance.

Taking taxi from hotel is easy on normal day, a lot of taxi available. However, a bit hard to get taxi during raining time, i wait for 30 minutes only get a taxi.

The nearest sightseeing area is 寒山寺,about 10 minutes from hotel by taxi.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south with nicer view and lighting.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business