“Hygge alongside a canal...”

Danish Baking Shifu
Ranked #1 of 8 Dessert in Suzhou
Cuisines: Danish, Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Description: “Danish Baking Shifu “Danish Baking Shifu 丹麦烘焙师傅” is a bakery running by a Danish guy Lars and his Chinese wife Sunny. Their Philosophy is let customers taste the original Danish baking and experience North European culture. It located in the quite north part of Ping Jiang Lu. The style of the shop decoration shows the simple Nordic style. The red brick wall,the white Eames chairs compose the color of the Danish flag. The cuckoo clock, the picture of Denmark and Andersen fairy tale books make you feel you already in another country.Have a cup of rich Italian coffee, taste some handmade Danish baking and here we can communicate eastern and western culture or share life stories...We are here,where are you? Welcome to visit us!
Reviewed April 24, 2018

Our visit to the Danish Bakery on Pingjiang Lu remains one of our favorite memories of Suzhou. We stopped in on a rainy afternoon in April and could not have had a lovelier experience. The pastries, coffees and teas are all delicious, and the cafe is ideally situated overlooking (literally over) the canal - with a view perfect for people watching in any weather, and especially beautiful and peaceful in the rain. Lars is not only an outstanding baker, but also a wonderful host who shared many insights into life in Suzhou. A delightful and unexpected bit of hygge on the canal!

Reviewed April 7, 2018 via mobile

Was walking down one of the main canals of Suzhou when we nearly passed this place. Noticed a Danish man was behind the counter serving apple Danishes. Being an expat in China I had to take the opportunity to try his pasteries, and I was not disappointed.

Truly authentic and wonderful, not lacking a sweet flavor like so many of the bakeries here in China, but also not too sweet.

I also enjoyed the rice pudding! This is the only time I have seen rice pudding from scratch sold in China, and it was wonderful!

My kids also enjoyed their cute sugar cookies... I may have also enjoyed a couple bites.

Reviewed March 24, 2018

A Danish café was really the last thing we expected to find during our trip to Suzhou, but there you go: it turned out to be a memorable experience in the best way possible! Cute little place with a nice selection of sweet treats - especially the Danish cinnamon rolls were fantastic! The owner is really friendly, he made us feel right at home. Would definitely come back here!

Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

A friend recommended this place and since we live in Denmark we had to try it out. The bakery has a really nice atmosphere with nice staff and it's located in a nice area. The owner was really nice as well and made us feel welcomed. Last but not least the cakes were really good! Would definitely come here again.

1  Thank eminah
Reviewed December 20, 2017

I arrived in Suzhou the day before Thanksgiving with 25 students from the United States. I was trying to find a place to host a Thanksgiving dinner for about 35 people and figure out something special for the students for Thanksgiving. I stopped in the bakery and Lars was super friendly and started solving all my issues. Not only did he (his wife) make fabulous apple pies for our Thanksgiving party, but he also recommended a restaurant to host our event. While I was going to find the restaurant he contacted me via wechat with additional ideas. After a few short hours I felt like I had family in Suzhou. The bakery items were amazing and Lars couldn't have been more helpful or served more delicious items. !!!!!!!! Fabulous experience.

1  Thank robinsonmizzou
BakingShifu, Ejer at Danish Baking Shifu, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2017

We always welcome you back to our Cafe and we are only happy to be your Suzhou family. You touch the essence of what we strive to do every day. We want to make a difference in both our cakes, but also they way we meet our guests.