“Not what I expected at all...”

New City Garden Hotel
Ranked #39 of 1,495 Hotels in Suzhou
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I stayed at the New City Garden hotel and as it is a good decent Chinese and local hotel, I was highly disappointed with it's location and the service given to me by the front desk. I booked my room and confirmed everything in advance, noticing that upon arrival my room was not ready.

The service of the staff was very rude, might due to busy times, but as a guest that is not my concern. I went to the room to see it was not cleaned properly. I pay a good price and tried this hotel for the first time...

I will never return as I am not happy with the result and rather choose another hotel when I return to Suzhou...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 16, 2012

a wonderful hotel in a good location. Excellent staff. We were 2 couples traveling together and upon our arrival the reception clerk noticed that our rooms would not be on the same floor. He immediately asked us if we would like to move to another floor in order to be near each other at no extra cost to us. He changed our preassigned rooms to a super 5* accommodation in the new building. The rooms were large, luxurious, with a wonderful view of the busy river waterway - and all this without our asking for any favor. Our room on the 25th floor was technologically sophisticated; in fact the toilet posed a learning problem, but practice made perfect. Two routers for our I-Pads were supplied in the room at no cost. Every evening a little box of delicious cookies was left in our rooms.
Biggest breakfast buffet ever!!

Room Tip: new building and high floor
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 1, 2011

Stayed here for one night as part of our tour package and wished we could have stayed! Beautiful lobby and rooms. The shower is huge with a rain shower head and a handheld one. Toilets were interesting...it was electronic with seat warmers and a bidet. The room certainly exceeded my expectations.

The best part was the breakfast buffet! It was three times as big as the ones we usually saw, with top-grade interesting items on the menu. I especially loved the made to order noodle bowls, wished I had time to eat two!

If I ever come back to Suzhou, this is the hotel I want to stay at!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sanderson88
Reviewed November 27, 2011

As mentioned by many other travelers, this is indeed a very luxurious local hotel. The service is right up there with the big players like Shangri-La & Starwood chains.

There were also numerous little touches that make this such a pleasant stay - a handwritten card after 3 days asking how my stay was, presenting a little bookmark in my half-read book, fruits in the room upon check-in, cookies every night, etc.

I'd have given it 5 stars if not for being woken up every morning at 7am (luckily it was a business trip & I had to wake up soon anyway). See which rooms not to take (if possible) at the tips section.

Room Tip: The hotel consists of 2 towers; get the new tall tower rooms (new wing) as they are really super nic...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank tahoch
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This was the best hotel on our package tour of China. Stunning lobby. Beautiful, large room with internet access on the TV. Everything was first rate. We stayed in the new section of the hotel.

Breakfast buffet was great with lots of selection. I particularly enjoyed the availability of Chinese green tea instead of the usual coffee and English tea.

We ordered room service one evening. It came relatively quickly. Quality was decent.

There is a 24-hour convenience store one block away. We walked there to purchase bottled water and snacks. Ask the staff for directions.

Why 4 instead of 5 star rating for service? Because the staff spoke limited English.

Summary, don't hesitate to pamper yourself with a stay at this luxury hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Iris-Calif
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Was on a business trip to Suzhou recently and stayed in this hotel for 4 nights. Service at the front desk was good and staff were knowledgeable and well mannered.

I was surprise by the quality of the room once I open the door. It was spacious, tastefully furnished. Besides the room, the bathroom was also spacious and it comes with a electronically heated toilet bowl. The room also has a seperate corner for the wardrobe and it was well equipped too.

The hotel management is very considerate. The room has all the international plugs, hence you don't have to use an adaptor when charging your electronic devices. The internet was free and you can either use the lan or connect thru wifi.

Food at the cafe was good but I don't fancy the breakfast because the spread is simply too heavy. It looks like they were serving lunch instead.

There are 2 supermarkets near the hotel; Carrefour and Tesco. One is on the right about 10 mins walks and the other 20 mins away.

Overall I'm impressed with the quality of this hotel and definitely recommend it to those travelling on business or leisure. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Request for a room in the East Wing, this is the new building.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank will_9441
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Stayed here May 23, 2011.

Took the Bus from Shanghai Pudong Airport to Suzhou. Travel time approximately 3 hours.
I am supposed to get off on my 3rd stop but in Suzhou there is a big road project. Underground road or subway construction. Even the bus terminal is still an ongoing construction.

And so I got off on the second stop. Took a taxi that costs me 50 RMB to New City Garden Hotel. Check in was fast.

Room on the new building is big and modern. I find the internet TV very convenient. But the speed need a big improvement. Bathroom has Electronic bidet and heated seat.

Room service price is not too high.

Breakfast buffet is on the old building. get down on second floor if you are coming from new building then cross to the old building. Buffet breakfast is 7/10.

Check out was good also.

The lobby waiting lounge is under the escalator. Not so nice.

Room Tip: bring jacket on May, cold also when it rains.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business