“A very good change”
Review of La Marina Restaurant & Lounge - CLOSED

La Marina Restaurant & Lounge
Cuisines: Asian, French, Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: First and only fine dining establishment built on the ancient canals of Suzhou. Dine here and hop onto a 70mins ancient canals night cruise from the pier right next to us. Featuring fresh food recipes: Australian Wagyu Beef, Iberico Ham, and other classic Continental and Asian dishes to enhance your canal gastronomic experience.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

We went to La Marina because had read about it on tripadvisor.

The entrance is nice lined with Champagne bottles. The interior decoration - WOW! They have spent a lot of money on the interior. The bar is huge and very nice.

You order the food off ipads. The waiters and the manager speak English - in most of the restaurants in SIP they speak in English but in Suzhou City none do, so it was a nice change.

The location of the restaurant is in a nice location with a lot place for parking. There was a wedding dinner so half of the restaurant was busy with the function but we did not hear any of the usual loud music which was great!

The food was nice - the club sandwich is the best we have eaten anywhere, the grilled salmon was cooked in butter - very good, the fried rice was nice too. The dessert - banana split was nice but on top they put cherry tomatoes. It was not a good combination but other than that the food was Excellent!

The washrooms are very nice with an LCD TV. Though there exists the bad smell in the washroom area. But I guess that it is every where in china because they do not install traps. The other thing I did not find right was the amount of light as the sinks. But overall ok. They even had a tub in one of the washrooms.

One thing I must say about Tony the manager of the restaurant - he was running around and working with the waitresses bringing food to the tables being a leader and not a boss. Way to go - Good leadership quality.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I can highly recommend the experience of dinning at La Marina.

The food was excellant!

The portions were larger than we initally anticipated and came delivered as ART on a plate.

The overall atmosphere and dining experience A+ you really do forget you are still in Suzhou

I am back again tomorrow night with more friends and I will update this review at a later date.

Get along and support this fine establishment because there are none I can think of in Suzhou to compare it with....

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I went there last night because of these rave reviews. The place was nearly empty on a Saturday from 7:30 to 9:30 pm. We sat at a great table that has windows on three sides. You order off of iPads, but somehow this caused us to get to get an appetizer we didn't order. We didn't each much of it because the prosciutto tasted off. The pepperoni was good. I don't eat bologna. My meat was half the length and width as pictured on the iPad. All the meat was tough. My friends shrimp was decent and the scallop I ate was good. The wine was decent. The bill was huge and the chef knew it because he came out and asked how was the food and what could he do better, and then we got a plate of mamahuhu macrones. This did not make up for the meat or the expense. Interesting place, but I won't go there again. Prepare yourself for the intense, horrific smell in the bathroom. Though it's called "La Marina," there is no view of the water. There is also a huge aquarium with no fish. The wall of champagne bottles makes a nice entrance, but the rest of the experience is just weird and depressing and hard on your teeth.

JoeThong, Public Relations Manager at La Marina Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Hi Dingos8Baby,

We are deeply sorry to hear you were not fully satisfied with our experience here. In fact, I was very distraught to hear of your unpleasant experience with us and have personally spoken to relevant department heads about your feedback and comments. We will try to avoid specific bad cases like this happening again in the future.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for this incident and I hope that on your next visit to La Marina you will allow us the opportunity to redeem your faith in La Marina.

Regards
Joe

Reviewed April 24, 2013

I'm going to keep this short because I think previous reviews have said it all. The food, delicious! The service, excellent! The atmosphere, inviting! The décor, elegant! .....and for the quality of food you get the price is very reasonable.

Go and see for yourself!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I went to this restaurant with extremely high expectations as it was in the downtown old city part of Suzhou and it far surpassed my expectations.

The restaurant caters for a fine dining, western food loving, hip, chic, trendy and modern food lovers.

Let’s talk about the most important part first of all – the menu and food. Well, as you have read in previous reviews the menu comes on an iPad. This is what really sets this restaurant apart from any other places in Suzhou. This means you take you time scrolling through the comprehensive menu which has English translations and real life pictures. The menu has beautiful and innovative appetizers, well designed main courses; lots of steak, chicken and fish options and a Chinese menu section. The desserts look good, but they taste out-of-this world…I actually had to have two as it was so good! There is a thorough wine list ranging from inexpensive to high-end: new world wines and European wines on offer. We absolutely loved their cocktails!!

The food is brought out at a reasonable time, hot plates (you don’t get this in any SIP restaurant), cutlery already there (again, this is often not the case in other SIP restaurants) and presented neatly as one would expect in a fine dining restaurant in any other part of the world. The steak was cooked just how I liked it with well-seasoned and properly proportioned veg and potatoes etc. Everyone was delighted with their food and selection. The food is exciting, its colorful, neat, innovative and just leaves your taste buds tantalized. Well done to the chef.
The service was outstanding. Not over the top, not nowhere to be seen but very subtle and non-intrusive. Well done.

My advice is simple…take the trip out of SIP and experience something that is not trying to be western or modern but indeed is very western and oozing trendiness….oh and visiting the bathrooms in the place is a must…very fun. This restaurant is THE new place to be in Suzhou for fine dining where people can appreciate the food and a place to go and relax and forget the stresses of living in Suzhou.

There is also a very nice option to take a rive cruise lasting around 70 minutes from the restaurant which I thought was such a good idea if you have the time.

JoeThong, Public Relations Manager at La Marina Restaurant & Lounge, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear colliewollie,

We're thrilled to receive this feedback from you. So far, you contributed the most detailed review on our restaurant. If you permit, I would like to take some parts of it and feature it in our future advertisements.

Look forward to have you back here with us.

Regards