“Good 4-star hotel in Suzhou”

Youngor Central Hotel
Ranked #47 of 1,438 Hotels in Suzhou
Chicago, Illinois
“Good 4-star hotel in Suzhou”
Reviewed February 5, 2008

Our Chinese travel agent booked us three nights at the Youngor Central Hotel. This was a winner. The location is good, on a busy shopping street. The room was stylish, comfortable and pretty quiet (except for a loudspeaker from a nearby store, which wasn’t too bad). Most importantly, the bed was soft and we slept well. There was a great foot massage place on the first floor – a foot massage came with tea, oranges and a back rub. The breakfast is a huge and filling buffet. The lobby was spotless. The concierge, very hospitable and attentive to our needs, arranged a taxi to take us to Tongli for a reasonable rate. My one complaint: we had to pay extra to use the gym, billiard tables and card rooms.

• Stayed February 2008
1 Thank roady76

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed November 9, 2007

Run by a local Chinese company which started by selling Polo Tees, this hotel was surprisingly good despite being a small outfit. The facilities are within its class, i.e. business centre, small and neat lobby and a number of eateries. But no swimming pool, big conference hall or a grand lobby.

I especially like the room which I stayed in. It was of a generous size, despite the hotel being smacked in central Suzhou. The bathroom is somewhat small compared to a room of this size, but they were adequate. However, you don't find the usual luxuries such as cotton buds and pads, free coffee sackets and countless international TV channels in the room. Not that much of an issue to me, just that for somebody who's stayed in 5-star outfits for business, it needs some getting used to.

The most fantastic thing about this hotel is its location. Shopping for local delicacies and souvenirs around the hotel and at (very) nearby Guanqian Road (the main thoroughfare in Suzhou) is very easy and convenient. I seldom go to Suzhou on business, and this time round, it was a short 12 hour stay. So being right in the centre of the action really helps.

When in Suzhou, you may wish to see the silk factory and buy some famed and beautiful Suzhou brocades. There are some shops near the hotel for this, but I'm not so sure if they are of the best quality. Price-wise, definitely tourist price, so please bargain hard.

All in all, a very pleasant stay and I slept relatively well in this hotel. Try it if you aren't too fussy and adamant in staying in the likes of a Grand Hyatt or a Four Seasons.

• Liked — Great small boutique-style hotel
  • Disliked — NIL
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Sal the Fat Fish
Singapore
Reviewed October 22, 2007

While planning my trip to Suzhou early this month (oct 2007), I realise that there are not many hotels within my budget of about US$55 / night, and which is near town. I was prepared to raise my budget when I stumbled on a hotel booking website that list 2 hotels with the same picture but with different prices.

The first hotel - Youngor Central Hotel is beyond my budget. However, the hotel below it shows the same hotel exterior but with a lower price. The english name for the 2nd hotel is 'Elegance Comfort Humanity Hotel' and is much cheaper. I almost dismissed it until I clicked on it and found that this hotel has the same parent company as Youngor Central Hotel, and is located near to Guan Qian Lane, THE shopping lane of Suzhou.

The hotel pictures looks quite nice and I decided to give it a try. For the price that I am paying, I must say that the hotel exceeded my expectations. The service staff is the friendliest I encountered in China in this price bracket. Rooms are clean and spacious. The only problem we encountered is that the room had a stale cigarette smell but was rectified by the housekeeping staff when they took the aircon filter out to clean.

Overall, quite satisfied.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Not much really
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple