“Clean rooms, but avoid breakfast”

Traveler Inn Gusu Hotel
Ranked #361 of 1,418 Hotels in Suzhou
Brisbane, Australia
“Clean rooms, but avoid breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here as a part of a guided group tour with Geckos Adventures. My hotel room was modern and spacious compared with other hotels on my tour. Great airconditioning and even a small bar fridge (the first i saw in China). Free wi-fi only available in the lobby area, not in my room.

I paid 38 yuan for breakfast at 8 am. All Chinese food that was cold as they don't keep it heated. Save your money and buy fresh and hot dumpling on the street instead. Or maybe get to breakfast as soon as they open.

Bus 501 nearby takes you within a 10 minute walk to the Humble Administrator's Garden and the Silk Museum. The last stop will get you to the night markets in the ancient section on town.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Traveler Inn Gusu Hotel as a part of a guided tour in early April 2013. It was a pleasant surprise! The room was clean, the bathroom quite modern, good location. The hotel offered a Chinese style buffet breakfast for 20 yuan. Good choice for Suzhou.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was only there for two nights but the room was spacious, if a bit shabby and the hot water was patchy. It had a fridge which I didn't use so can't comment on but was quiet and clean and has wifi and the public areas are very clean and modern.

Breakfast was plentiful and varied, with both Euro and Chinese dishes, although they were a bit slow in replacing empty serving dishes.There's also a lot of tour groups using the hotel so breakfast can either be peaceful or extremely crowded with no seats and most of the food gone.

The location is very good and despite everything I've said, I'd certainly put it on a short list when considering Suzhao. Asking for a smoking room put me right up the back of the hotel, There's even a dividing line where the nice decor in the hall finishes and turns shabby and then there's what looks like the rooms used as a backup. It's only aesthetics though but if you're paying full price (which I wasn't) then I'd suggest you ask them for something nicer as my room looked absolutely nothing like the pictures, it was a lot shabbier and the walls were painted an interesting shade of green.

Room Tip: try and get one of the more modern rooms, they look lovely.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

I stayed at this hotel as part of a guided tour. The hotel boasted a gym and a lake, both of whcih were very well hidden as I was unable to find them. At the side was a cleared area that looked as if it was about to be re-developed. I was there 1 night and found it in a convenient location for shops. It is a 2 storey building; my room was spacious and clean with a kettle, a hairdryer and the shower was brilliant, The staff spoke no English at all. Breakfast was awful with no cold drinks; the food was put in un-heated containers so was mainly stone cold. We were sent in a different room from the locals to 'enjoy' our cold breakfast

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JoyceFf
Saskatoon, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2012

My wife and I spent a night here in mid April 2012 while on an Intrepid Tour in China. The hotel was average and met the 3 star category. It was reasonably clean. Had free wifi. A good buffet breakfast. The rooms were larger then I expected. The beds were firm and comfortable. Our room was at the back and was quiet. The staff's proficiency in english appeared to be limited but I felt they tried their best to accommodate our needs. I had to make a call to housekeeping for another roll of toilet people and before I put the phone down, there was a staff at our door. The location was good for a short walk to Guanqian St for shopping and restaurants. It was well located to tour the Master of the Nets Garden. For a night or two, it wouldn't be bad.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stayed as part of a medical tour around China. Arrive to find a leaking hotel with bed linen covering the floors to soak up the water. Got in to standard twin room to find mould on the ceiling and in the bathroom, mosqauitos squashed on the walls all over, dirty bed linen, stains on the floor, burns in the pillows, leaking air con, very uncomfortable bed (floor would have been better), no internet connection.
Put up with this over night however got to breakfast to find the standard very poor would be an understatement! Did not even consider eating it! The buffest breakfast was next to a dirty tank of eels, frogs etc- very hygenic!
Location is poor in middle of no where.

Room Tip: Don't book here!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Melanie T

Travelers are raving about these Suzhou hotels

Barstow, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was the third hotel on our tour. As soon as you walked into the lobby, the cold AC felt very good especially since the temperature during the summer is really high. The front desk staff speaks limited English, but were very helpful, especially when I wanted to know about the restaurant on the property.

Once we entered, we were impressed with the size. It was by far the largest room we've had on the tour. The beds were very, very firm and by now, I was already use to them. There was not much storage space, but there were some hangers in this interesting closet thing. There was a desk and television, and internet access. The sink was located outside of the shower/toilet room. At first glance, everything looks fine, but if you look closely, the room could use some upkeep in some of those small details like corners on the outside of the sink. The AC was great until the next day when it felt as if it was only blowing air. Once we called to the front desk, it's as if a switch was turned on and cold air began to come out.

The hotel is located on a side street and as you walk down to the main street, there were a couple of restaurants a some small shops. When you get to the main street, there is a market to your right, and then shops, restaurants, and bars to the left. My saviour was the fried chicken stand right across the street that you're standing on. Don't ask me the name, it was in Chinese. But it was orange and green, and very delicious! The two guys working were really friendly and spoke no English, but were helpful when I ordered.

I would have to say, that out of all the properties we've stayed at so far, this one was the best. I liked having room to move around in without feeling like you're in a closet. It was also very quiet so sleep was good. Again, you have to ask yourself what you need in a hotel room, but I would consider staying here if I was to come back to Suzhou. The hotel was also close to the Master of Nets Garden, which is convenient.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends