“Beautiful hotel”
Review of Pan Pacific Suzhou

Pan Pacific Suzhou
Ranked #10 of 1,475 Hotels in Suzhou
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was travelling in a group for business and had no part to play in choosing the hotels. So when we arrived at the Suzhou Pan Pacific, I was blown away. The low-rise hotel is beautifully designed, with old-fashioned roofs, little pocket parks and ponds in several places. I agree with another reviewer that this sprawling hotel can seem like a maze, and some rooms like the one I stayed in is a long walk from the reception area. But I have no complaints - I loved walking around this hotel, soaking in the lovely views. Breakfast was very nice too, lots to choose from and delicious.

As it was close to the mid-autumn festival during my stay there, the hotel gave each of us a box of moon-cakes. That was the icing on the cake! I will choose this hotel if I visit Suzhou again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Ye Y, Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2013

Dear guest 3306,

Thank you very much for your detailed sharing of information and your positive review. It was our pleasure to hear that you enjoyed your stay here in our hotel. We welcome you back next time you visit Suzhou.

Best regards,
Ye

Reviewed January 27, 2013

Absolutely gorgeous! It is worth it to get a club room. The happy hour is nice. Our room had a little garden. The room was spacious, but cozy. Service was professional. By far the best hotel and most unique in China.

Room Tip: Club room access is worth the extra cost!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Judy R
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I did not stay at the hotel as we were in Suzhou only for a day. I did go to a restaurant here as I was looking for some western food. Food was quite ok although pretty expensive. However the hotel looked amazing and I wished I was staying here instead of Shanghai. The hotel has beautiful gardens and is really quite big. Hopefully next time I can stay here. There are many restaurant choices so it has a lot of variety.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Rutger_Evija
Ye Y, Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Dear Rutger Evija,

Thank you very much for your review. Hope next time you could stay with us when you come to Suzhou.

Regards,
Ye

Reviewed December 10, 2012

This very attractive low-rise hotel is spread over a large site and its gardens adjoin Panmen Garden - one of the public gardens for which Suzhou is famous (and to which hotel guests have free admission). It therefore makes a very attractive and relaxing place to stay - though the size of the site means that some rooms are a long walk from reception.

The staff are friendly and helpful and the room we had was pleasant and reasonably spacious. We booked at a good rate using the hotel's own web site, so the hotel was also good value. A breakfast buffet or various served set options (which we chose - very nice and good value) are offered in the restaurant overlooking the attractive gardens. Although in-room internet access is chargeable, free Wifi is available in the reception and restaurant area. The prices for international calls from the room were much lower than we expected.

Suzhou is a large city and distances to most sights are quite great, so you need transport to get about and, as other reviewers have noted, taxis are not always easy to come by. Some of the other major hotels have the advantage of being close to stations on the (very nice) new metro line, providing an easy way of reaching the new Culture and Arts Centre and the surrounding waterside development, the Gate to the Orient and the adjacent waterside City Square area and the old town.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MSDSK
Ye Y, Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2012

Dear MSDSK,

Thank you very much for your detailed sharing of information. Your tips are very helpful to travelers to Suzhou. Hope you will come back and stay with us soon in the near future.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

The hotel is beautifully designed, but a bit dated at this point. The hotel complex is surprisingly huge and, at times, somewhat of a maze. The breakfast is wonderful and perhaps one of the best in the city.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2012

First, the bad. Then honest account of the good.
Double billed: My wife, two children and I traveled to Suzhou. Since there were four of us, we booked two rooms. At check in, I put my credit card on file for my room (with son) and wife used her credit card for her room (with daughter). The hotel, we found out later, billed all expenses -- both rooms -- on my card and then AGAIN charged her card for her room. We've tried to contact the hotel repeatedly, and they won't respond. We have the hotel folio and credit card receipts that prove it. I would not stay here again simply due to the fact that the hotel cannot be trusted.

The good. Suzhou is a beautiful city, and the hotel is located about 2 miles from the main river walk area. We love to walk, so this isn't a big deal. Hotel was nice appearing, with beautiful grounds, pools and a terrific breakfast (included in some rates). Concierge was very helpful.

So-so: Our rooms were "non-smoking" yet had smoke smell and ash trays. They did a decent job in covering the smell, but the hallways were VERY smokey. Rooms were nice and bathrooms very nice and modern.

Side trip: Do go to the riverwalk area. It is just beautiful, with shops, restaurants, food stands and great people-watching. People there are also so friendly.

Overall: We would have rated this hotel higher had the staff just responded to our repeated request to fix the bill. But this is a significant matter; if the hotel is more concerned with receiving unearned money than customer satisfaction, how can you trust it. We gave them nearly two months to respond.

Room Tip: Ask ahead of time, again and again, if the rooms are non-smoking.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank KCTravelers50
Ye Y, Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2012

Dear KCTravelers50,

We regret to hear that there was this problem during your stay in our hotel. We would appreciate if you could provide us your name, check-in date and the number of the rooms you stay in. We will check with our reception and get back to you as soon as possible.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

I travelled recently to China for a company meeting which included the weekend (never a happy thing!). Moreover, my company decided to have the meeting in Suzhou instead of nearby and exciting Shanghai... my mood flying to China wasn't great.

What a surprise!!! The hotel is beautiful, the staff is attentive without bugging you, the restaurants I tried were very good (we even had the support of the F&B Manager with great tips on food and what to do about town).

Conclusion. great hotel and I recommend it to anyone in that side of the world!

Room Tip: Facing the garden not the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Ye Y, Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Thomas M,

Thank you very much for your review. It is our pleasure to know that our hotel turned out to be a surprise for you. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Wish you could stay a few more days next time you come to explore Suzhou and visit the historical attractions here. Thank you again for your compliment and recommendation.