“Great Hotel, Beautiful Views”
Review of Pan Pacific Suzhou

Pan Pacific Suzhou
Ranked #8 of 1,444 Hotels in Suzhou
Shanghai, China
“Great Hotel, Beautiful Views”
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights while my husband was here on business. The hotel staff were amazing - everyone we talked to was very pleasant and helpful. We had to change our departure date a couple of times, due to hubby's work schedule, and they were able to accomodate us each time. The hotel is very nice, though shows signs of age - chipping paint, rust in pool room. Our room was very spacious and clean, though the beds were small - not quite a U.S. double in size. The room was also well appointed - comfy beds, lots of pillows, nice TV, chair, desk & an easy to move side table. We were only provided 2 towels, even after I asked for more and they knew we had 4 people staying in the room.

The hotel grounds are beautiful!! An added perk is that admission to the adjacent park is free for guests. The girls loved walking around and feeding the koi. Our room also looked out over the park grounds - awesome view. Our daughters throroughly enjoyed both the indoor and outdoor pools.

We also ate on property - mainly because it was easy. Avanti's was very good, but very slow. My husband and I took turns taking the girls out to look at the fish while we waited, in part to keep them awake, but also to keep them occupied while their food was being cooked. We ate our other meals at the Garden Brasserie. The breakfast was good - we had to pay for 1 adult & 1 child, but got 2 meals for free each morning. Lots of fresh fruit & your typical breakfast items. Lunch and dinner (buffets) were pricey especially since we are there for several days - 350 RMB (1 adult, 2 kids) at lunch and almost 500 RMB (2 adults, 2 kids) at dinner. Their dessert island was great and the girls loved the ice cream station - they especially loved that they could go back for 2nds and try several different flavors.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Kristin C
, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear snowflake1978,

Thank you very much for the detailed review of our hotel and the dining experience. We are happy you and the family had enjoyed a long stay here and managed to explore many part of hotel suroundings as well. We are also glad to know the kids loved the facilities and activities they find in hotel. Your feedback about the food service speed is noted and we sincerely hope to welcome your whole family back soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I had a great time with my wife staying at the Pan Pacific Hotel in Suzhou for 5 nights. The hotel is located in the old town of Suzhou with just a mere walking distance to shops and outlets. It is very fascinating to stay in a five star hotel that looks like a ancient palace with modern classy decorations. One of the best and unique hotel I ever stayed.

Staying longer in Suzhou is much better than in Shanghai or any of the big cities. The air is much cleaner, more greenery, relaxing and lesser traffic.

Room Tip: Pay more and stay at the Pacific Club, you will enjoy a much bigger room with balcony. Enjoy the clu...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I have stayed at this property many times, on different occasions and find it great for leisure, meetings and even business travel (granted you want to have access to all areas of suzhou and the focus of your trip is not only on one of the industrial zones).

It is rare to see a hotel in China with a patina and a lot of local flair, whilst all others come with the same replicable (or rather replicated) glitz. Granted some little corners in the hotel's public areas need some work, but overall the hotel was in great shape.

The entire experience comes with great value, from the showerhead, over the towels, to the gym experience, the gym and quality, reasonably priced wines at the bar and the gym.

Two large corporate groups stayed at the same time. Breakfast was a bit crowded. However, during the rest of the stay the presence of the groups didnt affect us at all, as the property is quite spread out.

It's worth paying a bit more for a room with a great view on the nearby garden or staying on the club floor rooms.

Room Tip: It's worth paying a bit more for a room with a great view on the nearby garden or staying on the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Hans G
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, June 10, 2012
Dear Hans G,

Thank you very much for your review and it is great pleasure for us to know that you had enjoyed your stays with us many times and always choose to come back. We wish to see you soon and exceed your expectation once again.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 28, 2012

The gardens around the Pan Pacific Hotel in Suzhou are quite beautiful, and the front desk surprised me with a nice upgrade to a superior room with a garden view. I stayed here for only one night in mid-May 2012. My purpose in coming to Suzhou was tourism, and this hotel provided an excellent location with reasonable proximity to Suzhou's noted gardens, canals and other attractions.

Upon arrival, I was somewhat amazed at the size of the hotel and its facade; it looks like an ancient Chinese fortress from the street. The hotel is a sprawling complex, and I had a little trouble finding my way around the place. The entire property is a little overwhelming in size and scope. I would not describe this as a cozy property at all. It's more like a castle. The arrangement of floors and elevators in different wings was a little confusing for me, but I eventually found my way around.

With an arriving guest coming by taxi, the taxi driver is welcome to drive up the long ramp that takes you way above street level to the lobby driveway. And the hotel will call taxis for you, upon which they are allowed to proceed up the driveway. However, if you want to hail your own taxi in an impromptu way, you usually need to walk down to street level by taking a central stairway, and walk out to the street curb to hail your own taxi. So, when I had a taxi bring me back to the hotel from the Tiger Hill Pagoda area on my day of departure, I held him there at the lobby driveway while I ran inside the hotel to reclaim my luggage out of temporary storage at the concierge desk, and then had him drive me on to the train station.

The Pan Pacific lobby is fairly small and is on a completely different level than the restaurants. There is a concierge desk, and I found the multi-lingual employees there very helpful with directions and other matters. The reception desk staff were efficient and friendly, and they will change currency for you.

My assigned guest room was very nice and had all of the furnishings and amenities promised on the hotel's website. The air conditioning worked well; there was plenty of hot water for the shower, and the in-room safe worked fine. The in-room internet service was excellent.

I did enjoy the breakfast buffet, but it was not included with the room. Although I felt it was slightly expensive, the buffet offerings are of high quality. I think I was looking for a little more variety.

I was not expecting Suzhou to be as spread out as it is, geographically. It takes quite awhile to get from one of the famous gardens to another, or to the museums, etc. I really enjoyed the Silk Museum, where I saw live silkworms and could handle them carefully and take photos. The Pan Pacific is just about as centrally located to everything as you can be, but the taxi trips to various places will still take you 20-30 minutes per tourist attraction. Budget your time accordingly.

For the night-time canal boat ride, the Pan Pacific is in a good location. You just cross the nearby bridge over the canal, cross over to the other side of the road, walk along the canal a short distance, and there you will find the canal boat docks. For me, it was an easy and safe walk from the hotel.

If you can afford the Pan Pacific, I recommend it as a place to stay in Suzhou. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear route66stan,

Thank you very much for the detailed review with many helpful tips for other travellers.
We are happy to know you enjoyed your stay and had chance to visit most of the attractions around the hotel location. We hope in your next stay you would have more time to explore other hotel facilities like in-door or out-door swimming pool and our spa. Look forward to welcoming you again.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2012

This was one of the best hotels we stayed at in China. Accommodation was excellent, staff were helpful and courteous, and the food in the restaurant we used provided good quality and tasty food. The room was spacious and clean and comfortable. The location is a bit away from the centre, but the taxis are so cheap you can travel over town for about 20RMB, so this is not an issue. A good experience, and I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob B
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear BobandJacquie,

Thank you very much for your compliment. We are delighted that you had enjoyed the stay in our hotel and we wish to welcome you or your friends back here again in near future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Our tour group arrived very late at the hotel. When we alighted from the tour bus, my husband & I were awed by its architecture. Wow like being housed in an ancient castle/palace ground. The facade & the roofs of the hotel and its beautiful traditional Chinese style gardens and ponds & bridges are simply absolutely beautiful. We thought was a heritage building being restored as a hotel. Was so sad that we didn't have much time to explore the scenic surroundings.
Having breakfast overlooking the picturesque garden was so wonderful. Of the 6 hotels that we stayed in during this tour, this hotel provided the BEST buffet breakfast that the entire tour group of 29 people really missed along the way as this was the 2nd hotel we stayed in. Breakfast service was good - with coffee being served at the table.
Also loved the chair with the feet rest/ottoman in the bedroom.
Opposite the hotel are many shops selling fruits, etc - a busy thoroughfare but the bedroom are affected by the hustle & bustle of the main road.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CWee,

Thank you very much for your compliment. It is great reward for our associates that the guests had a memorable experience at our hotel and miss the time they spent here when they return home.
We hope to welcome you back soon.
Canberra
Reviewed May 7, 2012

Ok I got a great deal for a standard room, otherwise it probably would have been too expensive. It is a beautiful hotel with the lovely Pan Men Gate area attached. Had a standard room for 1 night only. We ate all of our meals there, mainly because we were tired and the hotel offered a great respite. The room was fine, smaller than what we had experienced during our trip but absolutely no complaints. Bed was comfortable.
The food was quite nice, but I must say the buffet breakfast (paid extra) was below standard. Even the dim sum were not cooked. A big let down. Also this was the first time that I experienced staff 'hanging around' for a tip. You know that feeling you get when they just wont go away.
The hotel organised a taxi to take us to Tongli and back and generally I must say the staff were just amazingly helpful and efficient.
Would go back if I got the same deal, but would probably skip the buffet breakfast.

Room Tip: Standard room was fine.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gohomemumbai
Jessica L, Public Relations Manager at Pan Pacific Suzhou, responded to this review, May 10, 2012
Dear gohomemumbai,

Thank you very much for your review and we are glad you had nice stay. Please keep an eye on our hotel website whenever you want to come back to Suzhou, I am sure you can find the latest packages or deals there that you can make use of.