Modena Jinjihu Suzhou
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This hotel is pretty good overall.

1) Air Conditioning: This may be a non-issue for others, but air conditioning is pretty important to me. This hotel has individually-controlled AC units. You really can bring your room down to 19C if you so choose.

2) Location: If you're interested in staying in the busy downtown core, then this isn't necessarily the best location. However, the extremely clean metro station is a 1 minute walk from the building, and will get you to any downtown destination (shi quan jie) in a shorter time than a taxi (metro trains and surrounding train station areas are air conditioned as well)

3) Rooms: Good size and quite modern in design. I stayed in the smallest room and it is still a reasonable size. It had a small kitchen with a sink, medium-sized fridge, microwave and kettle. Kitchen is stocked with a couple of plates, utensils including forks and knives, soup ladels. You can even cook there as there are heating elements. Electronics-wise, the room has a large television (BBC channel), DVD player, iPhone dock, etc etc. Bathroom is smaller, but clean, well stocked and modern. Your choice of smoking/non smoking,

4) Noise: Relatively no noise unless your facing the street (as I was), but the well-sealed windows (can be opened though) prevent most sound from coming it. If you're a very light sleeper (as I am), wear earplugs and your sleep will be fine.

5) Breakfast/Food: Nothing special - food is warm and safe. There is a mix of western and Chinese style food, however it definitely leans more to the western side. I wouldn't rave about the quality of the food, but it's certainly more than edible and is worth eating at if it is included in your room price. I'm not sure if the hotel has late night food or a restaurant or room service to be honest. I never looked into it. Don't expect to walk around at night trying to find food though. There isn't much nearby without the use of a taxi.

6) Service: I had a bit of an issue getting my drycleaning on time. They kept trying to refuse to clean clothing by drycleaning method rather than regular washing. They actually changed my order on a piece of paper from dycleaning to regular laundry and laundered it this way even though I specifically indicated not to. I'm not sure why this happened, but it's really not a big deal. The front desk can speak pretty good English as can some of the other employees. The rooms are cleaned on time and are cleaned quite well.

7) Nearby amenities: Being in the Industrial District, there isn't much around within walking distance as if you were to live in downtown Suzhou - however, directly outside of the hotel (attached to it) is a very good convenience store that is open until 10pm and will sell water, chips and other basic items you may have forgot at home. You can take a taxi to many different nearby restaurants/shopping areas - they are within a 10 minute drive. You are also only a 5 minute taxi ride away from a private hospital if necessary (caters well to foreigners) - it's called Kowloon hospital.

--- OVERALL ---

If you want to stay in Gong Ye Yuan District (Industrial Park) this isn't a bad choice. I paid $80.00 per night for 5 nights and don't regret it at all. I've stayed at a number of the best hotels in Suzhou and I still feel this is a pretty good room providing you don't want to be able to walk out your front door and be in a pretty busy area such as downtown. Even if you want to head downtown, hop on a metro for about 15 minutes. Clean, easy to use, air conditioned and quick. Definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms have individually-controlled AC
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Tyler F
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Dear Mr. Tyler,

Greetings from Modena Jinjihu Suzhou!

On behalf of the Management, I would like to thank you for taking your precious time to pen your valuable comments on your experience with us in TripAdvisor.

Your comments are very important to us, as they will allow us to improve on areas that we did not deliver to your expectation. At the same time, your compliments will definitely motivate our team to put in the best efforts to ensure that our residents will have a lasting experience.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Basically, you have spotted most of our selling points and these are reasons why our guests choose us for.

Two of your comments have allowed us to relook at our Operations. Firstly, our Breakfast is a simple spread that consist of Asian and Western items. Although we acknowledge this is nothing to shout about, our priority is to ensure that our residents will not get to work with a empty stomach. At the moment, our restaurant opened till 10pm, and within 10 minutes walking distance, you may have lots of choices on different kind of restaurants. Secondly, we are surprise to learn of your unpleasant experience on with regards to your Drycleaning. We sincerely apologise for this unpleasant experience, which purely is our mistake. We assure such incident will not happen again.

Mr. Tyler, do let us know if there is anything we can continue to do for you. We would appreciate if you can help to share your positive experience at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou with your friends, especially those are visiting Suzhou either for work or leisure. We certainly look forward you staying with us in the near future

Once again, thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 1, 2012

The other reviews are right. This is a delightful, clean, modern, convenient, hotel -- at an affordable price for all but the most economical travelers. We stayed in a two-bedroom suite. The Modena's attention to detail is incredible.
About the location: The Modena is in a very new part of Suzhou called Jinji Lake. For western travelers, Jinji Lake is a glimpse into the Chinese powers-that-be ability to drive development on a massive scale. Dozens of high-rise residential and office towers, and I mean a minimum of 30 stories for most buildings, dot the perimeter of a medium-sized lake. There is an exhibition center and many high-end restaurants. The place is designed to appeal to Korean business barons and the newly-rich Chinese. You have to see it to believe it.
Back to the Modena hotel: A newly-opened subway, aptly named Line 1, has a stop a 5-minute walk from the Modena. Actually, there is an as-yet unopened entrance into the same subway station only a 2-minute walk away. An adjacent high-rise, under construction while we were there, likely will spark the opening of the closer entrance once that high-rise is finished. The subway is clean, uncrowded, and fast. Oh, and not expensive -- I think we paid 2 kwai or 4 kwai ($0.33 or $0.65 in USD) when we rode it.
Taxis were easy to catch near the Modena. We were told you also can dial 6667, or something like that, to summon a taxi. We had no problem with taxis, who always were courteous and dropped the meter -- in stark contrast to our experience elsewhere in China.
We didn't try the in-hotel restaurant on the 4th floor, preferring to walk to a nearby shopping center that had the usual western restaurants, like Starbucks and KFC, plus a range of other restaurants. We found a small bbq-type restaurant that had all you can eat for 78 kwai (about $12 USD) of excellent grill-it-yourself meats and vegetables.
What else? That same nearby shopping center had a very-high-end food market downstairs where you could buy international-type food items. Since our suite at the Modena had a kitchen, had we chosen to, it would have been easy to buy some fancy foods in this food market, take them back to our kitchen, and cook or microwave them. Instead, we enjoyed the restaurants in the area, plus some that were more in the central part of Suzhou that we rode to on the subway.
Bottom line: This is one of the great hotel values in China. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: The suites are a great deal for two couples traveling together, or maybe a pair of business associates.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank M P
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for staying with Modena Jinjihu Suzhou.

We are delighted to know that have you enjoyed your stay with us. Basically, you have spotted most of our selling points and these are reasons why our guests choose us for. Modena offers apartments that are modern, clean, comfortable and definitely value-for-money. With the opening of the subway and the international mall nearby, they have made this part of Suzhou more liveable.

Do let us know if there is anything we can continue to do for you. We would appreciate if you can help to share your positive experience at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou with your friends, especially those that are visiting Suzhou either for work or leisure. We certainly look forward to you staying with us again in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your support!

Reviewed June 25, 2012

Stayed there last week during my trip to Suzhou, been pampered by the staffs with their delicate and personal services. They really make afford to make you feel like coming back to home. Room was clean, with reasonable price. Railway at the doorstep makes it an ideal location to stay with if you are looking for public transportation to travel around….Would definitely look forward to stay here again for my next visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank angeline_lj
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Angeline, Thanks for your reviews for Modena Jinjihu Suzhou. And glad to know that you are satisfied with our rooms and services. You may find our promotions on our brand website for future bookings. We look forward to welcoming you back to Suzhou someday.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

The entire experience was very smooth, concise, and professional. I always have reservations when taking a recommendation from someone else, even those I trust, but this hotel and it's staff have far exceeded even the most rigorous of expectations. From the hotel staff to the location, I can't find a single complaint. I spend a lot of time in hotels, so I'm always eager to leave and go home, but I did not have this feeling when I stayed here. I would strongly urge anyone who is considering this hotel to make it your first choice. There is not enough to say about the staff and how far they went to make sure that I was comfortable, dare to say I felt like a very frequent VIP guest.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank cwbeasley
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Thannk you for your nice reviews for Modena Jinjihu Suzhou. We appreciate your feedback and glad that you had a good experience here during your trip. We always try our best to serve the guest and maximize their staying experience. We always welcome you back to Suzhou and if there are anything we can help, please let us know.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Convinient access to public transportation. Many restaurants near the hotel. Price is reasonable and room is clean. I will stay there when i come here again.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank japan123456
LucyY917, Director of Sales at Modena Jinjihu Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2012

Thank you for your nice review. Welcome you back in near future.