See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 11, 2017

Excellent location.Near several famed gardens and Suzhou museum.
Nice Foods, especially breakfast.
Very Chinese civil styles.
The concierge people are very helpful and ready to serve.
Room prices are reasonable.
Best hotel I have ever visited in China.

• Stayed: October 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2017

Location is central, just across the street from Pinjianglu. Although it is quite near the Humble Administrator's Garden, it is not within walking distance. It is perhaps one of the better hotels in the area but it is not international 5 star standards so do manage your expectations. Concierge service was good and personable but the rooms we booked (Tianjin VIP rooms), while large and spacious, was not kept up to the standards expected of an international 5 star hotel. My husband stepped into something sharp and bled immediately upon stepping into the room (we usually go barefoot indoors in our rooms). We immediately decided to wear the indoor slippers provided in the hotel. The breakfast spread was quite ok although we are perplexed that they only set out the table with chopsticks and spoon when they also served western dishes like waffles, bacon, baked beans etc where the use of the chopsticks are not practical. The hotel should really look at the details and improve on their service. The hotel is not cheap- we paid approximately RMB1000 for each room during a low season period.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank MommyYo
Reviewed May 14, 2017

great location ,10mins away from gardens and museum,there are many restaurants near by.

helpful and friendly staffs, free shuttle bus or mini van to certain attractions sites.

staffs are friendly and helpful, clean and spacious room and good breakfast .

this hotel so far is the one we like the most from this trip.

• Stayed: April 2017, traveled with family
Reviewed February 25, 2017 via mobile

Undoubtedly the best located "international" hotel if you are looking to visit the old town and gardens. Scholars hotel is very well placed around a 1 minute walk from the canals and food/shopping street. There are some great local restaurants near by.

As far as the hotel itself, my wife and I were quite disappointed. We booked a "luxury" hotel because we wanted to have access to comfortable accommodation and an indoor pool (our 15 month old son loves the water). Unfortunately the pool was closed for renovations and we were not told this until after we checked in and paid. The room itself was just ok. A few things were broken, such as the marble counter below the sink and the fabric of the headboard was ripped. The whole room looked tired and a bit cheap. After a long afternoon strolling out in the cold my wife was looking forward to a hot bath but was unable to have one as the plug was broken. I alerted the reception who apologised accordingly but made no real effort resolve the issue or compensate us in any way.

The staff at reception spoke basic English but were unable to understand me when I asked "what time does the restaurant open". I didn't bother asking for information about the tourist sites. They were able to give me a tourist map but didn't mark the hotel on it or try to point me in the direction of any attractions.

There is a Chinese restaurant on site but when I visited I was given a less than warm welcome. When I asked to see a menu (I asked in Chinese and would have been happy with a Chinese menu) it caused quite a commotion as no one wanted to go and get the English menu (that I didn't ask for) and displayed their discontent with hand gestures and tutting. That was the first time I had been referred to as "Lowai" that day and I got the feeling that it was not because they were overly fond of me. The restaurant specialises in seafood and caters for the more adventurous seafood lover (lots of eels, sea cucumber and pickled fish dishes). My family and I ate at a nice local restaurant about a 3 minute walk from the hotel.

The hotel has some small gardens close to reception and the reception building is very traditional. The rest of the hotel however reminded me of a conference centre or a venue designed to cater for 3 large wedding parties each day. It's not quaint or peaceful as the pictures make it out to be. There were cars speeding around the hotel roads, people shouting late at night and people smoking in the lobby.

On the positive side, the rooms were warm and the beds were comfortable. There is also a small children's indoor play room and each floor smells of an amazing incense.

In summary, the hotel is ok.... just ok. Considering the cost per night (1300rmb) I was expecting a lot more. The location is what really sells this place, if you were to move it 1km south it won't be worth considering. There are some small local hotels and youth hostels in the same area. I would suggest doing some research and looking at alternatives before spending your money here.

Stayed: February 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank Ross O
Reviewed December 17, 2016 via mobile

This hotel was recommended by a friend and we were not disappointed. The rooms are very large and well equipped, a good mix of modern hotel with Chinese touches.
The staff, especially the concierge is very nice and speaks some English. The breakfast offers a good mix of Chinese and western food.

Stayed: December 2016, traveled with family