“I will definitely come back”
Review of Hotel Soul Suzhou

Hotel Soul Suzhou
Ranked #9 of 1,427 Hotels in Suzhou
Amherst, Massachusetts
“I will definitely come back”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I came to Suzhou for a 7 day holiday as a solo traveler. I wanted to experience a city in China on my own. I chose the Hotel Soul based on the internet reviews, which cited good location, value, and helpful staff. Hotel Soul turned out to be all those things, and much more.

I called the hotel in advance to arrange pick up at the train station, and a young man answered in English and was very warm and welcoming. He was the Chief Concierge, Ainnol Zhang, and he became my friend.

Ainnol made a big difference in my experience in Suzhou. Although it was his day off, Aninnol came to the train station to greet me and bring me back to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel, he helped with check-in, made sure I was satisfied with my room, set up my internet connection, and gave me suggestions about where to go for walks, where to eat, and what to see in Suzhou. He also gave me his mobile phone number so that I could call him directly.

In the next days, I often reached out to Ainnol for help. When he was not on duty he sometimes accompanied me to have a meal, or go shopping. I learned to see and appreciate Suzhou through his eyes. I felt very comfortable, as if I had known him for a long time.

There were a lot of things about the hotel that I enjoyed very much. Rather than repeat things that others have said in their reviews, I’ll focus on some things less often mentioned but which I appreciated.

First, is security. I felt really safe in and around the hotel. The lobby staff notices everyone who comes in and goes out. The room cards are keyed to specific floors, and the elevator won’t work without using the card. And, in the room there was an electronic (password protected) safe, in which I could leave cash, passport, etc.

The area around the hotel was also very safe. There is a strong yet unobtrusive police presence at all hours. Although I took long walks outside of the hotel area into local neighborhoods, I never felt scared or threatened. I felt that I was a part of the normal flow of daily life.

Each morning I ate my breakfast in a restaurant located on the first floor of the hotel. I think the restaurant is connected to the hotel but also separate. I felt welcomed, enjoyed the food, and I often lingered over a second or third cup of coffee. (I liked to observe the Chinese tourists who also ate there). I never felt rushed.

Ainnol also introduced me to local restaurants outside the tourist area. I liked going to those places a lot -- workers were friendly, and the food was terrific. One night I asked Ainnol to recommend a fancy restaurant, and when I got there they said “sorry we are getting married tonight”, but what they really meant was that most of the tables were reserved for a wedding party. When I explained I was “yi ge ren” (only one person) they found a place for me. I got to be present for the wedding party. I have the photos to prove it!

I liked my room a lot. It was big and clean, and also quiet. I slept great there. I also watched television in my room, where I could access CNN and other English-speaking channels. I felt much more on top of current events at the hotel than elsewhere in China where news from western sources is routinely censored.

Housekeeping was punctual and considerate. They came every day to clean while I was out doing tourist things. I also used the hotel laundry service several times. Pick up and return was on same day and not expensive.

The day before I left, Ainnol accompanied me to buy gifts. I am so happy with the choices I made, including a hand-made silk tapestry from a place I never could have found on my own. Like the holiday in general, I felt free to take my time and be myself. After the shopping trip, Ainnol treated me to lunch.

The next morning I was sad to leave. Hotel Soul was much more than a hotel for me. For those 7 days, it was my home. I felt very happy there.
I will definitely return.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Richard T
GS C, General Manager at Hotel Soul Suzhou, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings and thank you for choosing Hotel Soul as your choice of accommodation during your recent visit to Suzhou.

We would like to express our appreciation for the very positive review received entailing every detail of your stay with us which you have described as a memorable one. The kind comments on the personalized service which you received from Ainnol, our Chief Concierge has been well acknowledged and he has been informed personally. Ainnol, our Chief Concierge has been always been a shining example of what we are striving for all of our Staff to become which is to provide service excellence to all of our guests.

These positive comments received will give us further confidence to continue with the on going objective at hand which is to ensure all of our guests enjoy similar service levels when staying at Hotel Soul. We are glad to further note that you had also enjoyed experiencing the wonderful sights available in Suzhou whilst managing to attend a wedding banquet by chance.

On behalf of Hotel Soul, we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future should you be visiting Suzhou.

GS C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Ningbo, China
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Group of 5, three rooms on the 6th floor. Loved the staff!!! Ainnol, Tracey and Kevin were great! Very helpful, excellent English, friendly and funny! The rooms were fun and the elevators were like a theme park. We had so much fun in them. The hotel is a retro mix of ancient China and Modern China with a dash of Revolutionary China Decorations. The breakfast was not bad for a freebie. There was something for everyone. recommend the fresh noodles in the morning. Yum! Beds were super comfy, two pillows, lovely bath robes... non smoking floors, gym small but clean. They helped us to order bus and train tickets, arrange taxis, and gave us a shuttle free of charge to the bus station when we left. We will definitely return and definitely recommend to friends.

Room Tip: non smoking on the 6th floor, with window
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank bronwenshae
GS C, General Manager at Hotel Soul Suzhou, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Hotel Soul during your recent visit to Suzhou and most of all for a very positive review of your stay with us.

Your kind comments reflective of Tracy, Ainnol and Kevin have been informed to them accordingly and is much appreciated by all. We are glad that overall you have enjoyed your stay together with the services and facilities offered.

It gives us no greater pleasure than having our guests truly having a memorable stay experience as it shows that we are moving forward towards the right direction. On behalf of all of us at Hotel Soul, we look forward to be of service to you again should you be visiting Suzhou in the very near future.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Have stayed in the nearly Starway before so know the area. The room was large and comfortable (I got a free upgrade) and the general service, staff, breakfast, etc, were fine.

My main complaint is that the internet performance was very poor, an important factor for business visitors.

Also, although not directly the hotel's problem, there was a lot of noise, especially from the ubiquitous electric bike alarms. Come on Suzhou local authority, you managed to ban the polluting scooters a few years back, so how about banning these alarms. They go off 24/7, and can have no deterrent effect as nobody takes any notice any more.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Greetings and thank you for staying at Hotel Soul during your recent visit to Suzhou.

From your review, although you have generally mentioned that you have enjoyed your stay with us, we regret to note that you encountered some inconvenience due to the weak signal strength affecting your internet usage. This is a matter which we are attending to as we are in the midst of finalizing an appropriate upgrade to improve on the internet servives.

We do apologize for the inconvenience caused together with the noise disturbance encountered from the electric bike alarms during your recent stay. However, we do hope that we will have the opportunity to be of service to you again should you be visiting Suzhou in the very near future.

Hong Kong
Reviewed April 14, 2014

This is my third stay in this hotel. Glad to see that the hotel keeps their standard of services! Fabulous pick up service at the railway station. Very good breakfast, like the room's decoration and the location is great.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings and thank you for having stayed at Hotel Soul again for the 3rd time during your recent visit to Suzhou.

It gives us great pleasure to note from your review that you have noticed the level of services have been maintained. We do take great pride in constantly taking steps together with our Staff to provide all of our guests with a consistent level of guest services.

We are also glad that you have enjoyed the pick up services provided and the breakfast spread made available for our guests. On behalf of all of us at Hotel Soul, we look forward to be of service to you on your forthcoming visits to Suzhou.

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Spent 1 night in Suzhou and stayed at Hotel Soul. It was in a great location, just a short distance by taxi from Suzhou Train Station (arrival by high speed rail). It was also within a short stroll to the main pedestrian mall where lots of food was being sold.

Wifi worked very well in the lobby. Not so good in the rooms.

Overall a good hotel at an attractive price. Room was well-appointed and bed was comfortable. No complaints!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GS C, General Manager at Hotel Soul Suzhou, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Guest,

It gives us great pleasure to note that you have enjoyed your visit to Suzhou and also with your stay with us. Your comment on the wifi signal strength has been noted and we are in the midst of preparing for an upgrade in order for this essential facility to be further improved upon.

On behalf of all of us at Hotel Soul, we look forward to be of service to you again in the very near future.

Hoboken, New Jersey
Reviewed March 31, 2014

My husband and I just returned from China and stayed at Hotel Soul on 3/25. We highly recommend this place. Here is an overview of our thoughts...

LOCATION: Very good for seeing both the day-to-day sights of Suzhou as well as for walking to the MUST SEE Pingjiang road.

ROOM: Comfortable and nicely decorated

HOTEL DETAILS: Had a quirky / cool style. Loved the themed elevators. PLUS we enjoyed having a gym to work out in.

BREAKFAST: HUGE selection!

STAFF: Helpful and friendly.

MUST DO IN THE AREA: Humble Administrator's Garden Pingjiang road.

NOTE: Food at local restaurants shuts down by 7:30pm ish - so eat early.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kelly C
GS C, General Manager at Hotel Soul Suzhou, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Soul as your choice of accommodation during your recent visit to Suzhou and for the positive review.

We are pleased to note that both you and your husband had enjoyed your stay with us and the facilities offered. The places of interest mentioned in your review being the Humble Administrators Garden and Pinjiang Road are located within close vicinity of the hotel which makes it convenient for guest staying with us to visit.

On behalf of all of us at Hotel Soul, we look forward very much to be of service again to both you and your husband should there be plans to visit Suzhou again in the very near future.

Nanjing
Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

Something just doesn't feel right here and this is just a personal feeling. First the facts:
Good price and location, spacious rooms maybe even too big.
Breakfast was good and varied. Fabulous pickup service at the train station, wifi in the car :)
As most chinese hotels it just stinks of cigarettes, even the non-smoking floors. I didn't like the deco ... Horrible super slippery bathroom they have even camouflaged anti slip tape on the floor...
In all what a strange feeling.

• Stayed March 2014
GS C, General Manager at Hotel Soul Suzhou, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are glad to note whilst you have enjoyed the facilities during your stay with us, there was also some inconveniences encountered especially with the smell of cigarettes on the non- smokng floor. This matter has been further reviewed with the Front Office and Housekeeping department in order for us to be more vigilant in addressing this concern.

We do hope we would be given the opportunity again to be your choice of accommodation when you visit Suzhou in the very near future.