“Fascinating way to spend 2-3 hours.”
Review of Suzhou Silk Museum

Suzhou Silk Museum
Book In Advance
$96.00*
Private Day Tour: Suzhou Gardens and Silk Museum from Shanghai Including Lunch
$100.00*
and up
Private Shanghai Day Tour Including the Bund Yu Garden Old Town Market and...
$158.00*
Shanghai in Night with Chinese Opera Dining Experience and Long Bar Tour
Ranked #16 of 349 things to do in Suzhou
GLoucester
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Fascinating way to spend 2-3 hours.”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

The museum tells the complete story of silk. It goes into the history, how its made and weaved. Couple with world class examples of embridery and clothing.

I loved the silk worm display and didn't believe they were alive till I saw them wiggling about! Also a small orchard of mulberry trees.

A good place to go in the rain! and all ages will enjoy.

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
Milwaukee
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Not worth going out of your way to see.”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I happened to be "in the area" at the North Pagoda and figured I'd walk over to see this. After having walked past it as I didn't find it to be so well marked, I made my way through. I made my way through fairly quickly which was somewhat hard to do as it was almost like a maze in spots. it just didn't interest me. I took a total of three pictures, more to prove that I had been there than for any lasting memory.

Visited October 2012
Mellieha, Malta
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Making the mistake”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We paid to go into the silk museum. It pretty much looked like it was closing down. Some of the rooms were empty and didnt look like they had been updated in a while. On the way out we saw lots of people going into the silk factory next door. We followed and found that it is free to enter as they want you to buy stuff from their shop. It is much more interesting in the factory.

2 Thank ShariffT77
Houston
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“This is an actual MUSEUM that is worth visiting, not a factory”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The only way we know about this museum was in the Eyewitness Travel Guide to Beijing and Shanghai. When we were in Suzhou we check 2 different tourist maps and neither of them mentioned this great museum. Very odd. Our taxi driver apparently didn't know about it either because he took us to the Suzhou Kaidi Silk Co which is one of those "silk factories" that is really a big retail store. When we walked in, we knew this was not the right place and an employee told us where the museum was (only 1 block away).

This is a fascinating museum with exhibits of the origins of silk, examples of early silk garments, and the history of silk. In a courtyard outside is a garden of mulberry plants with silk moths fluttering around. A second building houses the exhibits about the process of turning the cocoons into silk thread, i.e., the caterpillars, cocoons, threading machines and so forth. A third area of the museum has several large looms and people are using the looms to make silk items. Lastly, there is a small area featuring silk items to buy.

Great museum that I highly recommend to anyone interested in learning about the history of silk.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank MaxWildThings
Wellington, New Zealand
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Interesting, and just the right size”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The Silk Museum was great, it had just enough information to make it interesting, but not too much that would make you want to skip some bits of it. Very quiet, there were maybe three other people there apart from me and my husband, so we could take our time. Seeing the live silk worms eating the mulberry leaves at the end was a highlight, as were the exhibitions showing how people used to make silk in the past, how they lived, etc. There was also a short film, maybe 10-15mins long, describing the silk history in Suzhou, and it was in English, worth watching.

Visited September 2012