“not what you would expect from a Kempinski”

Kempinski Hotel Suzhou
Ranked #26 of 1,474 Hotels in Suzhou
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We live in Shanghai and we went to Kempinski Suzhou with our 9 months son for the week end. The hotel has all amenities you would expect from a five stars hotel but it feels more a local 5 stars hotel than a Kempinski. For example mattresses are hard, chinese style. It is very noisy, television volumes are not ' blocked' so I was woke up twice in the middle of the night by our neighbour's television.
I think staff attitude and attention for details really make the difference in this case. For example: we had drinks at the Season restaurant and I gave lunch to my son, a jar of baby food...well the casher wanted to charge us for a ' child buffet lunch'...which is ridiculous. It is true that she dropped it as soon as we complained but it shouldn't have happened in the first place. Overall staff at the Season restaurant was not well trained, they leave the menu to you as soon as you arrive, they wants you to order in 1 min and then they disappear...Season offers buffet or a laCarte menu, we had a lacarte, since the buffet did not look good and fish seemed ' old', food was average at best. Paulaner our their Chinese restaurant are a better option for dinner.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank raffap230
monicayu, Manager at Kempinski Hotel Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

First of all thank you for staying with us at Kempinski Hotel Suzhou and gave the comments to us !

Secondly please let me do apology to you for the unpleasant experience during your holiday !
The televison volumes has been blocked that will not be effected by neighbour's now . Besides this we will focus on the training for our staffs and the quality of food in seasons .

Again sincerely sorry for the inconvenience caused but I would like to invite you back to the hotel and to be able to show you that we are able to provide you the service you expect from us and more.

Please contact me via monica.yu@kempinski.com for any further details and look forward to hear from you .

Warm Regards!

Monica Yu
Assistant Front Office Manager

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Second visit, went two years ago for our wedding anniversary and the service was poor. It was newly opened then so gave it another go. Start with the good, rooms are large and clean and the spa, pool and gym are good. At checkin we asked whether breakfast was included, no but it was reasonably priced if we wanted it. Headed to the pool, good 50m pool but already looking tired because mould hasn't been getting cleaned off tiling regularly. Also went to the spa and this was fine. On deciding where to eat in the evening of the three restaurants it was the one advertising the oyster buffet, a special each weekend during the month. Sadly buffet had no oysters and since we turned up around 7:30 most of the dishes had already been eaten and were not being replenished. Sashimi was still frozen. Headed to the bar afterwards and it was happy hour, buy one get one free. I had a beer and my wife some tea. I then had my second beer and asked for the bill. Getting the second beer for free as advertised took 2 goes and paperwork to be filled in, a little strange. Off to bed to be woken in the early hours with the noise of equipment being loaded onto lorries. We needed to head off early but slept in because we had been awake most of the evening. Down to reception to check out to find that the breakfast which we didn't eat had already been added to our bill, no problem please take it off. Sorry we can't take it off, even though it wasn't part of the original booking and is charged as an extra! This annoyed us so we asked to see the manager. He arrived and we explained about the breakfast why we had slept in and also the advertising about the oyster buffet with no oysters. He needs training, he told us that the reason for the noise was clearing up after a large wedding. Did they have to load lorries in the early hours which were then sitting there at midday? He refunded our meal cost and only charged us the amount had there been no oysters, trying to explain that it wasn't the pricing which was the issue but advertising something which isn't available, all over the hotel in local magazines etc. He also said he would pay for my breakfast, I pointed out several times that we hadn't eaten breakfast and were being charges for an extra we shouldn't have been. I told him that my local business uses the Crowne Plaza in preference to his hotel because of the poor service. He followed me into the car park when on seeing we had a local registration he decided that perhaps we were telling the truth and he wanted to now do something about our stay. It's a lovely hotel which should give you a relaxing weekend stay but we left with the feeling that the mis advertising was intentional and extracting extras is all part of their game. Won't be back again.

• Stayed: September 2011
1  Thank Happy_traveller876
Rautenberg, General Manager at Kempinski Hotel Suzhou, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Dear Sir,
Reading through your comments it seems that the Hotel felt short in regards to the service you rightly expected to get from us. First of all let me tell you that personally I am very sorry about what you have experienced during your stay and I have shared and discussed your comments in depth and detail with the concerned departments and their respective manager. Unfortunately, I am not able to reverse your experience nor I am able to turn back the time, but I would like to invite you back to the Hotel as my personal guest and to be able to show you that we are able to provide you the service you expect from us and more.

Please contact me at: alvaro.rautenberg(at)kempinski.com in order to discuss further details. Hoping that we haven't lost you forever, I am very much looking forward if you could take us up on our offer. Further as good will, I have advised that your credit card charges were cancelled.
One again, please accept our sincere apology and looking forward to hear from you.

Best Regards

Alvaro Rautenberg

Reviewed August 16, 2011

My husband was attending a conference at this hotel.It was not very well located for me to find other things to do while he was at the conference.It is not near any shops and you need to catch a taxi into the nearest town.Apart from that it was pretty much like any big hotel but the waiting staff in the bar area (where I sat having coffee a lot) were exceptional - friendly and efficient.....

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank KillarneyFarm
Reviewed July 31, 2011

On a recent business trip to Suzhou, my company booked me into the Kempinski hotel which turned out to be quite spectacular. The hotel is situated by the lake ensuring great views and pleasant strolls in the evening.

I had an executive suite with all windows overlooking the lake which was quite breath-taking. There was a lovely welcome basket in the room upon arrival, with fruits, pralines, petite fours and cookies. The room itself is large especially the sitting area which is huge.

I used the swimming pool and loved it, because unlike the cramped and funnily shaped pools in most hotels, this one is long and rectangular making swimming a pleasure. The changing rooms are also nice and large.

The chinese restaurant is wonderful as is their famous Paulaner bar, if you like german beer and sausages. My only grouse would be with the cafe, since the a la carte choices are surprisingly poor if you are interested in having western/continental fare.

However there's nothing to do around the hotel, since its located in an industrial park. I assume downtown Suzhou is not too far, although I didnt venture there.

Definitely worth a stay and I hope the next time I am not there on business!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank barve
Reviewed July 21, 2011

The hotel is right next to lake with great view and peace! Every Sep-Nov is the hairy crab season in this area and the taste is just so yummy that it's worth to take 2hrs drive from Shanghai!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank yxc166
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The hotel is awesome, incredible,beautiful etc , I stayed there for 10 days and I had a pleasant stay, food is really good and also different regional foods were available.
Service is really good.Attendants were great and really helpful.
the window view form the hotel is really great, I was really surprised to see the lake view.
I went down to see the lake as well..very romantic place.
I think one should visit there to stay atleast once.whenever I goto Suzhou, I stay there.
Location is also perfect near to all the places like shopping mall,offices etc

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank gavvys
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Excellent service from the porter, reception, the room service, the concierge and the cashier. Excellent very big rooms, very big bath rooms with all facilities, Excellent writing tables, free internet wide screen TV's. The food was very good. I strongly recommend this hotel though it may be slightly expensive.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business