“Excellent services, deserves a lot of patronage”

Crowne Plaza Yichang
Ranked #2 of 351 Hotels in Yichang
Qingdao, China
“Excellent services, deserves a lot of patronage”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I was a bit hesitant while booking this hotel when I read some of the reviews but still took a chance as being a Platinum Ambassador of this group I did not have a choice either to select another hotel of this group as it had none. But to my surprise, I felt that perhaps they have acted on the reviews to improve or the reviews were a little too harsh. Regarding the English, I was put at ease in the very few minutes by Daphne, the Mexican front end lady. She was so great that on an enquiry of a visit to the three gorges dam site, she brought along Tim, who spoke again very good English and who was excellent in even changing my room at the executive floor to the river side. Tim came to the executive lounge and bridged the communication gap between me and a beautiful dum doll stationed at the lounge. That was felt ok. Lunch was the best in all of Crowne Plazas I had ever in China...good variety and at a price of 68rmb per buffet! Travel services at the hotel is a little high-priced but that is where I happened to meet Mona, another excellent English speaking guide, simple, honest and very friendly girl. Evening buffet was also good where I was well served by OSA, another suave Mexican working there. Seems the hotel has given a good forethought in inducting some international staff there. Last but not the least, I need to mention the services of Luke, the front end staff who went out of the way in retrieving my iPad from my checked out room and took pains to rush to the Yichang East railway station to hand it over to me personally, that was very moving. I felt that I need to visit back to the hotel, partly as a thankful gesture and partly to renew my friendship with all those there who made my just a day's stay there more pleasant and remarkable. With a lovely river front, a wonderful Wanda plaza adjacent and a beautiful bridge nearby you would not ask for more with their lovely concierges going all out to increase the prestige of this wonderful property. Kudos management.....but u could still to better to beat the other Crowne Plazas in China. Best wishes.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
CrownePlazaYichang, Adminstrative Assistant of S&M at Crowne Plaza Yichang, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Welcome to Yichang, the city of hydroelectricity. Thank you for sharing your excellent experience in Crowne Plaza Yichang. As Crowne Plaza Brand subordinate to IHG, we are devoted ourselves to offer the best facilities and quality service to guarantee your comfortable stay here. Sincerely, we look forward to seeing you next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

I have been reading the reviews on here and I just don't understand them. The hotel is very good looking, the staff speak brilliant English, location is great - opposite the river and right next door to a shopping plaza. I would definitely go back. Also a special thank you to Dafme who is working there. What a lovely lady, she was the best.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
CrownePlazaYichang, Assistant Adminstrative of S&M at Crowne Plaza Yichang, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

Many people stop-over In Yichang before or after a Yangtze cruise. However, if you are able, don’t bother and make a direct connection. Although Yichang is a relatively pleasant city, there is little to do, apart from walking-around. The Crowne Plaza is located alongside the Yangtze River and provides some pleasant, relaxed walking along the river and through the many parks & gardens. Its actually quite pretty. Yichang is a clean city and its enjoyable watching locals dancing in the parks and forming into small music groups. In the evening there are literally hundreds of them.

Previous TA commentary about the Crowne Plaza Yichang concludes it is the most ‘western’ hotel in Yichang. The hotel itself is modern & well presented, especially the Crowne Club rooms, as they are spacious and well-appointed with all required amenities. However, if you expect ‘western-type’ service levels you will be disappointed. Crowne Plaza Yichang service levels [at least for those seeking that level of service] are practically non-existent. I’ll give some examples, bearing in mind that I am a member of the [so-called] Priority Club and, therefore, have some higher expectations when using Crowne Plaza group hotels.

Staff have limited English so its tricky to make yourself understood. We are in China after all and cannot necessarily expect everybody to fully cater for English-speaker needs,especially in the 'smaller' cities. While check-in was painless, it was still a bit challenging because of those language barriers. Crowne Club rooms [supposedly] come with additional benefits, such as fruit platter on arrival, daily newspaper, special check-out, etc – none of this actually happened, but no big deal. The room has a coffee plunger machine – but no coffee [or milk]. Club Rooms gives access to the Club Lounge for ‘happy hour’ and breakfast. The only drink choice during happy hour was a glass of red or white wine and very limited snacks. Breakfast in the Club Lounge was meant to be between 0630-1030. Arrived at 0700 – it was completely locked-up and waited until 0715 before somebody finally arrived. Breakfast presentation was a bit better, albeit the selection was very limited. The Club Lounge facility at this hotel is quite unprofessional and Intercontinental Hotels ought to be aware of this.

Rooms do have free cable and Wi-Fi connections, so that’s a real plus for many people.

If you have no Club-type expectations, then it’s a very clean, comfortable and modern hotel and is well-located. Selfishly, however, I would not stay again, simply because Priority Club did not deliver on its ‘promises’ and I did not get what I paid for!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
CrownePlazaYichang, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Yichang, responded to this review, September 8, 2013
We sincerely apologzie for your bad experience, and we will improve the hotel service and staff training according your discribtion. We hope you will come back to our hotel and give us opportunity to delight your next visit.
Tehran, Iran
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

i stayed one night in this hotel inJuly 2013 and i was impressed with the room ( i got a river view ) ambient and decoration. but the front desk staff could hardly speak English and not as expert as my expectation from well known name of Crowne Plaza.
- I had a telephone call late night and hotel staff couldn't put it through easily. They seemly connect it to other rooms.
- they took my time for about 20mins for a simple check out and finally they charged me double ! i paid them in cash and also they charged my credit card as well.

Room Tip: it's worth to pay some more and enjoy the river view!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

The Crowne Plaza is where most Westerners visiting Yichang (usually on the way back from a Yangtze cruise) stay. The rooms are really nice, the bathrooms are clean, and the lobby is spectacular. However, all the aesthetics mean little when you are sweating. Despite each room having an individual thermostat, efforts to change the temperature in both of our rooms failed. When we inquired as to why, we were told that the hotel sets the temperature for the entire hotel. And they set it at hot. This made the visit very uncomfortable and sleeping was difficult. I understand trying to save on energy costs, but at five-star hotel prices (and being in the back of beyond), this is completely unreasonable.

Food in the restaurants is terrible. I couldn't finish what purported to be a "hamburger" but tasted like something disgusting. We included Yichang on our itinerary because one member of our group wanted to tour the Three Gorges Dam. The Dam was interesting, but I hope we'll never be back thanks to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed overnight in Yichang after a Yangtze river cruise because of dicey airline connections to Beijing. If I had to do it over again, I would have made more effort to fly out the day of arrival, as the city has little appeal. I believe the Crowne Plaza is probably the top choice in town, but it leaves a lot to be desired. Physically, the property and rooms were nicer than you would expect for a Crowne Plaza. But the hotel seems to get few foreign visitors and the Chinese attitude toward air conditioning is that anything cooler than 30 degrees centigrade is comfortable. With lots of effort from the hotel manager, we managed to get our room up to 23 degrees by bringing in a supplemental unit that blows air over ice. The public areas of the hotel were even worse. Despite the wimpy air conditioning system, I have to say the hotel tried.

Room Tip: Skip Yichang if you can. Note that we are very fussy about our sleeping termperature, and you may n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

This may be the only western chain Hotel in Yichang and it is a good option for short stays in this city. The property is rather new and the rooms are very well appointed. Internet was free in the room and public areas and with decent speed in the rooms.

Service was quite good except in the main coffee shop where I had dinner and breakfast and in both occasions the place was understaffed, so this was not reasonable for such property. English was limited by most of the staff, but still not a serious problem.

Next to the Hotel is a big shopping mall called Wanda Plaza and a Walmart. You will find there many fast food restaurants as well. Overall a good place to stay, but they must improve their service in the restaurant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business