“Very Good Hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2,338 Hotels in Wuhan
Berlin, Germany
“Very Good Hotel”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I stayed in New World Hotel in Wuhan in October 2013 for three weeks and it was a very pleasant. The rooms are spacious, big shower, big TV with a lot of channels. The WiFi was fast.
The breakfast buffet is really huge, they have a great variety of Chinese style breakfast, but even western style is not a problem (even though I don't like it).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Tobias S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My overall stay in this hotel was satisfactory. A very smooth check in/check out and a friendly welcoming chat from the staff.

However, what this hotel lacks is any real character. The rooms are really light and the furniture all plain and featureless. This leaves a very clean feeling to the hotel, but also brings with it a somewhat sterile and psychiatric hospital feeling to the room. However, this is Wuhan we are talking about and cleanliness is something that should be highly valued - just look at the view from your dusty hotel window!

The staff were great at getting me a taxi in the morning and I found everyone at the hotel to be very pleasant and willing.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Nathan W
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Quite a nice hotel. Nice large rooms - very modern, stylish fit outs. A few little problems - showers don't seem to go hot enough, and water pressure seems to be difficult to separate from temperature on the dial. Also easy to get water everywhere when showering. Shower was my least favourite aspect.
Powerpoints were an odd set up. There were three, but only one of them would accept our GHD and hair dryers, as they need an 'earth' pin to work. I tried using my quality Swiss adaptor, and it blew the fuse - power adaptor wouldn't work after that. I'd advise not plugging a power adaptor in if possible, or borrowing one from reception. (Mine cost $70, so it was a shame to blow it up).

Room smelled faintly of soap. Beds were comfortable, with thick, quality quilts. Breakfast was nice and fresh, with a wide selection. Wifi was woeful.
I can understand the previous reviewer's comment that there was 'something amiss'. Nice hotel, but it didn't quite grab me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
ExecutiveOfficeNWWHN, General Manager at New World Wuhan Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your comment.
I am glad to read that you enjoyed our bed and breakfast.
In regards to your comment about the shower, please allow me to explain that the shower head has 3 settings which vary from strong massage to wide praying of the body. I suspect that you used the setting which resulted in lower pressure and wide water spraying. I will ask our associates to do a little bit more explaining to our guests upon check in.
Not quite sure what happened to your adaptor. Unfortunately, you did not report anything upon check out , so we cannot check the room. I suspect something was wrong with that particular power plug We will be checking the various bathrooms, in the meantime would be grateful if you could advise your former room number. I will be delighted to replace your adaptor with one of ours, during your next stay.
Finally, in regards to the Internet, kindly note that we have one the fasted internet speed in town ( over 50 MB). However, this is controlled by the great “bamboo” firewall.. This means that at time of peak usage, the system is slowed down by the filtering when you access a foreign website and I regret to say, that we have no control over it and neither do any of our competitor hotels in China.

In future, should you experience any problems, I would recommend you contact one of our associates for immediate assistance.

Best Regards

Jean-Michel Lanusse
Adelaide
Reviewed May 17, 2014

There is something that I cannot put my finger to that this hotel lacks. Having stayed in lots of places over the years, when I walk into a hotel, something tells me that this is good and this isnt. Perhaps it is the very poor internet service here which after is very slow notwithstanding the bamboo firewall. It is a huge hotel but there were very few guests. Perhaps, the hotel is more catered towards locals rather than foreign tourists. It is a struggle to get hot water in the shower. The staff are friendly though and I hope they overcome their issues.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Victoria, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our second stay at this Chinese Group owned property in 18 months was pleasurable. The Hotel is well located in the Hankou district, close to upmarket shopping malls and a food court. An al fresco coffee & dining scene has sprung up next to the hotel including a wine bar with by the glass or bottle international brands at affordable prices. The usual international brand convenience restaurants are also close by. We continue to be amazed at the incredible rate of modern urbanisation in China's second tier cities and the resulting improvement in services that make both business and private travel more comfortable and accommodating. It was the same with the Hotel. A quite noticeable improvement in service levels including many more English speaking staff. Our modern well designed room was kept clean and good quality toiletries replenished daily. We had access to the residence club which was comfortable and well maintained by helpful staff. Good wine selection but limited food offerings. Buffet breakfast best taken in the lobby café - a good western buffet selection and a better local food offering if you are feeling adventurous. Our only gripe was the room temperatures. Although the Hotel advertises individual air conditioning controls in each room they are over ridden by a centralised control so you get the room temperature engineering decide is best for you. This seems to be a constant theme in Wuhan. The room was too warm for us at night but not as bad as last Month's experience when staying at the Marco Polo. So, can't rate the stay a 5 star experience but it went close.

Room Tip: Try the residence club rooms - good value
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
ExecutiveOfficeNWWHN, General Manager at New World Wuhan Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to send a comment regarding your recent stay at the New World Wuhan Hotel.
I noticed that overall you enjoyed our service during your stay.
I was disappointed to read about our shortcomings with the Air Cond. I must confess that April was a particularly challenging month where weather is concerned. Day temperature were very unpredictable , varying greatly with some days dropping to 11 degrees and others climbing up to 26 degrees. On some days we had to re-start the heating others the air cond, sometimes with less than 24 hours' notice. This was a serious challenge to our Engineering team. We did try our best to follow the daily weather pattern to ensure maximum comfort to our guests. I regret that on this particular occasion we were unable to meet your expectation.

I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Best regards

Jean-Michel Lanusse
Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

Nicely located near my workplace at Wuhan International Plaza. It is decently priced and the rooms are of a nice size. Nothing too special about it and I also have nothing to complain about. All in all an average hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

The room is modern and good value for money. The location of the hotel is good but it also means quite a lot of traffic jam around the area. The pool doesn't open in winter. The executive lounge is very comfortable and is a good place to take an afternoon rest if you have the time. We enjoyed our stay.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family