“frequent visitor to the Poly hotel”
Review of Poly Hotel Wuhan

Poly Hotel Wuhan
Ranked #110 of 2,363 Hotels in Wuhan
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Good Location!

I visit the Chinese Academy of Science on a regular basis, and this is where
I usually decide to stay. It is about a 1.5 km walk to the academy. Other hotels
may be closer, but I like to be comfortable and this hotel aims to be comfortable.

First of all, the hotel is about 100 m from Hongshan square subway. So getting
around to the other side of the river, or the shopping hub of Gunggu is now a
lot easier. On the otherside of Hongshan square is a carrefor, a big supermarket
department store. Up the road (Zhongnan), Zhongnan plaza is a another supermarket and zhongnan plaza which is a large chinese style shopping mall.
There are also some pizza huts (2!), KFC and mcdonalds for those not brave
enough to walk a local restaurant. Hongshan square will soon have a subway
connection to the fast train terminus so I could imagine this hotel, like others
near hongshan square will become more popular.

The area around the hotel is basically the centre of government for Hubei province.
Lots of communist type buildings, with gates, guards, large driveways and so on.
The traffic just outside the hotel is awful, but the good news is that it does not
go that fast so you can usually get across the street without too much stress.

This hotel has a number of room categories, there is the budget, standard ..
I go for the deluxe room, since this has a reasonably sized desk. The deluxe
rooms have a good shower, with a glass wall separating bath area from bedroom.
On my last visit, I decided to go for a 45 m2 room. No kitchenette, but the bathroom
was seperate. The interesting feature was the flat screen TV at the end of the bath,
and the bath is big. A deluxe room sets me about about $100 per night (booked
with agoda), the 45m2 room was about $160.

The bed, like all chinese beds is very hard. What I do is to fold up the quilt in half,
and sleep on top of that. It takes a few days, but generally the cleaning staff
then make up the bed like that automatically. AC is the room is good, one can
make it as hot or as cold as one likes.

TV. Those who have stayed in truly chinese hotels will understand the potential
for sensory deprivation here. There are some English language TV stations at
the poly hotel, including HBO. I am usually there at least a week, so being able
to watch a movie or Mad Men makes life a little bit easier.

One thing to emphasize, thise is a CHINESE hotel mainly catering to chinese
visitors. The staff try to speak English, but not always successfully. But there will
generally be one person in the lobby, usually the duty manager who has reasonable
English. But they will not get much practice. If I have something to discuss, I
will take a notebook with me to write out any words that are difficult. One of the
duty managers remembers me from previous visits. One day, I was followed
back to the hotel by a prostitute, who was even going to get in the elevator with me, and I needed the duty manager to shoo her away. Since then, she has remembered me.

Breakfast is OK, but as in most places in asia, one does not get cold fresh milk.
One get get bacon, some pastries, has browns, and fruit, so it will do. The dinner
buffet is one the expensive side (for a chinese meal), and includes soft drinks
and costs about $40 AUD which is slightly less than I would pay for an Australian
buffet. To put this in China perspective, I have taken 5 students out to dinner
elsewhere, and the bill has cost less than the hotel buffet.

I have alway requested and gotten a non-smoking floor. So no problems with
that. I have usually had Chinese hosts to help me at check-in.

The general ambience in the lobby is a bright airy clean feeling. At dinner time,
there is usually someone playing live music on the piano which usually cheers
me up.

There is a small bar fridge, which is usually packed on arrival. I usually unpack
the fridge into the storage area so I can put my own refeshements in the fridge.

Staff try to be helpful, but communication can be a problem. It took me a
few days to get them to get the mouse fixed in the in-room computer
(Old battery). A bit of patience is sometimes needed here. However,
one day it way raining, the concierge, made sure I was given a hotel
umbrella. I could not fault their willingness to try and be helpful, if
I stop in the lobby, generally someone will come up to me within 10 seconds
(provided it is not busy) to ask if they can help me.

I expect that I will stay in the Poly hotel next time I go to wuhan.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Poly Hotel Wuhan

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We chose to stay at the White Rose Hotel when we took our nine year old daughter back to visit her birth country, because this was the hotel we stayed at for the adoption. At that time, the White Rose definitely catered to this niche traveler. Not anymore! There are no play areas for the children. There is no dedicated floor for families. We had to ask twice for nonsmoking. English is barely spoken, but the bigger barrier was the inexperience of the staff. One got the impression that the entire hotel was staffed by summer interns. For example, we went to the Chinese restaurant upstairs. The hostess did not know how to handle us because we were foreigners, so the chef had to come out and say just give them a menu. There were only 3 soft drinks available and even when we pointed to them at the menu, it took a couple of people to figure out our order. We ordered a cab and when it showed up the doorman shooed him away. We ordered a bottle of beer in the restaurant and it arrived with a broken top. I sent it back and a young girl came to our table apologizing profusely that it was her that was responsible. She was obviously inexperienced and untrained. Biggest hassle was the credit card was used as a deposit against all room charges, and we could only authorize small increments at a time. After nearly every meal we were forced to go down to the front desk to re-authorize the amount of the deposit to cover the meal. The hotel now requires its guests to wear bathing caps (even for my bald husband), but they don't sell them in the hotel store. When walking toward the pool, we passed some sort of tea room where women and men were drinking together and were shooed away. We had the impression that it was some geisha-esque area where women entertained businessmen. All in all, the White Rose is in a dumpy area and there is not much to see. The only reason to go there for us is because they were accommodating to adopting families. Now it is strictly a local business hotel. Next time we will look for something around the Provincial Museum, a much nicer area of town.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kamaainanomo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed in the White Rose during a multi-city tour of China. I believe they are changing their name over to the Poly Hotel. Much of their materials are branded The White Rose Poly Hotel.

Room was clean and comfortable. This would be a very nice, romatic place to stay for a couple. The bathroom wall is curved glass, and faces into the room. Privacy is achieved by pulling curtains across the glass wall. As I am a single dad traveling with two teen daughters, this made it a little challenging to get the curtains in just the right place to get complete privacy.

The stay at this hotel was about half way through the 16-day trip. We were begining to burn out on constant Chinese cuisine. We made frequent use of room service, and the mostly-western food we had was very good.

Beds were comfortable. The parking lot and lobby of the hotel are constantly watched by a guard, and there are many shops and restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I love the fact it is a smaller hotel and the rooms are great. The staff knows us by name, Mr. and Mrs., and are oh so friendly and will do anything. They are all fantastic! It is beautiful, quiet and even when almost full, it never feels like you are on top of each other. Again, I cannot say enough about this resort and I am planning my next trip back soon and I don't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 23, 2013

For the price we had paid, it's definitely value for money. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and I felt like they were treating us like the King and Queen.

The bell boys standing outside the hotel door entrance, were extremely helpful. Given that this was our visit in Wuhan, they talked to us and told us the various attractions worth visiting in Wuhan.

The price we paid, was approx. 1/4 of what we had paid for a 4-star hotel in NY, USA! But in NY, the service was terrible, despite the fact that we always had to pay tips to every service staff. But here in Wuhan, the hotel staff are all very helpful and they are just being nice and helpful, without expecting you to gain any monetary rewards from you. Overall, I like the Wuhan people, they are the ones who are willing to walk an extra mile for you. I would highly recommend visitors to stay at this hotel .....Cheap and nice!

Room Tip: Always ask for NON SMOKING room if you are not a smoker.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Agnes G
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I have been to China four times and have traveled extensively in China. This is the BEST hotel I have ever stayed in China and the USA. Now, I have never stayed in a $1,000 per night hotel anywhere in the world, but in the mid to upper price ranges, this is the best one. The rooms are comfortable,nice, and attractive with all the proper amenities. I have never been treated so well at any hotel in the world. All staff here are wonderful--front desk, service managers, bellmen, restaurants waitstaff, housekeeping. The problem is, they have treated me so much like a king, I might later forget that I am not a king. They will spoil you.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank montepair
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Arrived in Wuhan off a sleeper train at 10:30 in the morning. Hotels are always awesome after spending the night on a train! Walked to a dumpling restaurant down the street and across the pedestrian bridge for $10 meal for 6 people. Went swimming and they didn't make us put on bathing caps. Breakfast was good. There was free wifi in the lobby, although if you weren't sitting on one of the few sofas, and had taken up residence elsewhere, they ushered you into the business center.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family