“Extremely soft bed”

Ranked #4 of 2,343 Hotels in Wuhan
Hong Kong, China
“Extremely soft bed”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Stayed for 7 nights in July.
Nicely located on the river bank but not near the city center. Hotel lobby was grand and impressive. Room has wonderful decor with luxurious bathroom. Very good view if the room is facing the river.
The bed was extremely soft that I couldn't sleep in it. The staff tried to put a wooden board on top of the mattress and it became too hard to sleep on. Unfortunately I had to sleep on the small couch throughout my stay.
Nice indoor swimming pool but water was a little cool though.
Hugh coffee shop on the ground floor which served good selection buffet breakfast. Decent food but restaurant service was pretty bad for a Westin hotel.
This hotel has the possibility of becoming a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Dear BPK123

Thanks for your review of the Westin Wuhan Wuchang.

We were very pleased to read that overall you found the hotel to your satisfaction however I was dissapointed to see that you found the Westin Heavenly Bed too soft for your liking. We will look into options to see if this can be adjusted for your next stay.

As always we are grateful for constructive feedback and will look to improve the service provided in our Seasonal Tastes restaurant.

We do hope we have the oppotunity to welcome you back to stay with us in the not too distant future.

Best wishes - Matthew

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Hong Kong
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Haven't been to Wuhan for some time and I usually stayed at the Shangri-la. But since Westin is newly opened, I through I just gave it a try and I didn't regret it!
Westin is very new, the lobby is huge and decor is modern. I've changed room 2 times since they had given me a smoking room instead of a non-smoking per my request but they did apologise, so it was ok. I had upgraded myself to the executive floor with the access of the executive lounge. The lounge is nice but the cocktail offered was very average. Breakfast offered in the lounge is also very average. Maybe next time I will go to their breakfast lounge for breakfast if I want more varieties
There is a spa and an indoor swimming pool in the hotel, the spa is great but the pool is full of people.
The service is this hotel is very good, all staff are very polite and attend to all your needs! However, the location is a far from the city which is a disadvantage if you are a tourist. For me is not a problem at all since is my business trip and I just need a good hotel to rest and work. Will stay there again!

Room Tip: Get a room with the river view!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear 'Cooking Fan'

Thank you for making the change and trying the Westin Wuhan Wuchang as your new “home away from home”.

We are very pleased that the team provided very good service to you and as always we will look to improve the other areas you have highlighted to us.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future!

Shanghai
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling to Wuhan for many years and have stayed in a lot of the foreign branded hotels. I saw the reviews for the Westin and decided to give it a try. However, after staying there for a week, I could not recommend it.

The hotel has been open for about a year, but still has the feel of a newly opened hotel. In other words, the staff do not not how to provide service to the guests and have not been properly trained. While most of them have a good attitude, there are some who do not. The egg chef at breakfast seemed upset that I asked for an omelet. It took him several tries and 10 minutes to make one, even though I was his only customer.

I ordered a glass of wine with dinner and they offered me a glass from a bottle that had been opened 10 days. Of course it was already oxidized and undrinkable. I asked the waitress to open another bottle but she did not want to do that. She told me they had no more of that wine. However, after I asked to speak to the manager, she did find another bottle.

In total I asked to speak to the restaurant manager or the general manager 3 times during my stay, but no one ever contacted me. This is the first time I have experienced this at a 5 star international hotel, although I have found this before at local Chinese hotels. Of course this gives a very bad impression, namely that the manager is unwilling to meet his guests, but it also fits in with my overall experience of the hotel, which more closely resembles a local hotel than an international one.

The rooms and facilities are very good, but the poor service really spoiled my stay.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, August 11, 2013
Dear Ian

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin Wuhan Wuchang.

Obviously we are disappointed to read of your experiences. Please be assured that I will discuss the improvements needed with the team immediately.

In regards to your comment of me not responding to your requests, please be assured that if I was aware I would have met you accordingly. It seems however that the communication was never received by myself and I do apologize for that.

It is only with feedback such as yours that we can improve and strive for higher levels of service. I do hope you are able to try us again and return in the future so I can personally welcome you and ensure your stay exceeds your expectations.

Shanghai
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have been going to Wuhan for work since 2008 and started off staying at the Shangri-La, moved to the Marco Polo when it opened and on my most recent visit tried the Westin Wuhan. Based on experiences at all 3, I have to say that the Westin Wuhan is easily the best hotel I have stayed at in Wuhan.

The lobby is pretty impressive and I was upgraded to the Executive Club floor upon check-in. Rooms are very spacious and well furnished - much larger than the rooms at the Shangri-La and plusher than the rooms at the Marco Polo.

While some people complained about the level of English spoken, I think the issue has been somewhat resolved with both the staff at reception and on the phone being able to speak good English. The staff at breakfast did not seem to speak much English but given I am able to communicate in Mandarin this was not an issue.

The Westin also scores highly over the Marco Polo in terms of dining options and variety - both room service and at the restaurants. Unfortunately the ground floor restaurant was shut for renovation when I was there but I managed to try the room service and breakfast (which was temporarily being served in the Chinese restaurant) and the food was good.

Based on value for money and the factors mentioned above would recommend this property to anyone travelling to Wuhan.

Room Tip: There are two types of river-view rooms. The cheaper category doesn't really get you much of a r...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank samueloShanghai
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Dear ‘SamueloShanghai’

Thank you for your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at The Westin Wuhan Wuchang.

We are very pleased that you rated us “The Place to Stay in Wuhan”.

We particularly note your comments regarding our great rooms and Food & Beverage offerings.

Hopefully we are able to welcome you back to in the not too distant future,

Reviewed July 7, 2013

The Buffet was amazing, I usually hate Buffet food but I can say it was one of the best I've been treated with. There was a very good selection of seafood, including lobster and king prawns. The green tea Teppanyaki ice cream is memorable and an attraction in itself. The service was not worth of a Westin hotel though

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear “Pako 1980”

We appreciate you giving feedback on your recent stay at The Westin Wuhan Wuchang and pleased that you enjoyed the buffet at Seasonal Tastes Restaurant!

We hope to see you again soon.

Warmest regards
Matthew
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 25, 2013

You will not be disappointed as it has all that you would expect from Westin and at reasonable rates! The property is very grand but do not feel overwhelmed, the rooms are comfortable and the staff are attentive.

If I need to return to Wuhan, the highlight would be to sleep in the Heavenly bed here.

Seasonal Tastes lobby restaurant has a good range of Western & Chinese options, and has wider variety than The Executive lounge. But the lounge is spacious and quiet and perfect for those that need that.

The staff are very attentive, to the point that I lost a scarf the day before I checked out and told them that it was either in the lounge or restaurant, even up until I left no one had found it. The restaurant manager took my namecard in anticipation that the previous shift may have found it and kept it safe. To this day, there was no follow up and I assumed it was lost, unfound or even stolen and to my surprise, I receive a couriered package today at the office and inside was my scarf!

There was no note attached so I have no idea how/who/where, but I believe that exceptional customer service comes with training and leadership and some hotels even if they have the hardware, they may not have the software.

I am impressed, as you do not get to tell many wonderful stories like these in China!

Thankful and grateful.

JL.

but not many options late at night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear ‘Miss Reviews’

Thank you for your wonderfully refreshing feedback.

We were all very pleased to read about your experiences at our hotel and thankful that we were able to find and return your missing scarf!

Hopefully we are able to welcome you back to The Westin Wuhan Wuchang Hotel in the not too distant future,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Everything that you can expect from a Westin. Huge welcoming lobby, and the Room, shower and bed were great. View of the Yangtze was perfect. But the front desk service was slow - during check-in and check-out, and could add a couple of staff during peak hours. I enjoyed the morning breakfast with its wonderful variety and service. But the hotel location is way out and there are no other amenities or good restaurants nearby. You need to get a cab to go anywhere. The wifi was intermittent during my stay.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
GMWestinWuhan, General Manager at Westin Wuhan Wuchang, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear Lawrence L

Thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Westin Wuhan Wuchang.

It was great to read that you enjoyed your experience at our hotel. As always we strive for service improvement and we look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Warmest regards Matthew