“Still my preferred hotel in Wuhan”
Review of Dorsett Wuhan

Dorsett Wuhan
Ranked #17 of 2,402 Hotels in Wuhan
Reviewed September 1, 2013

This is my 2nd stay at the Dorsett and even though the location is the main reason I stay here I am still happy to recommend it. The rooms are big, clean (no smoke smell) and comfortable (as comfortable as hard Chinese beds can be...). I couldn't get wifi in the foyer but could in my room. Room temp was OK and nice hot water and good water pressure in the shower. Breakfast was OK, plenty to choose from (although no bacon) and fortunately one of the staff spoke some English so could tell the chef my order, she wasn't there the 2nd day but the chef remembered what I had the day before.
Only 'faults' are can be difficult to get a taxi but the concierge usually manages one in a short time and most staff only speak very limited English but that's probably more my fault for not bothering to learn Mandarin, and I had an Chinese friend with me so wasn't a problem this trip.

Room Tip: Some Superior rooms don't have a window but that should be stated before making the booking.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank carolyn m
zhang d, Director of Sales at Dorsett Wuhan, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Dear Carolyn, We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us again, our hotel will keep improving and try to do best for every guest. we are sincerely looking forword to your next visit.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Spent one night here on the way to Shanghai. A five hour coach trip followed by a six hour train journey. Why stop in Wuhan? I have no idea but it is something I have complained about to my tour company. With this in mind I shall try and offer a non biased review of the hotel.

The reception staff were friendly and efficient,
The rooms wow, they were massive, office space a separate lounge area that would have been great for an extended stay. For one night however I simply found the room too big and a little impersonable.
The location is great right in the middle of town where there are plenty of western style shops and restuarants.
The lobby wifi didn't work although there were alternatives in the restaurant.
The breakfast can only described as dreadful. Cold, tasteless and offering little choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarkSManchester
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I and two colleagues booked three rooms at the Hotel Dorsett for three nights in March 2013. We arrived late at night and six hours later we checked out to find another hotel. I am always cautious about believing highly negative reviews but our experience was truly terrible. In fact we booked these rooms based on positive reviews on trip advisor and we still can't believe we were at the same hotel. First, we believed the hotel had non-smoking rooms as advertised on the website but the entire hotel smelled like a smokestack. All rooms had ashtrays. There is no such thing as a non-smoking room at this hotel. If you do not like smoke permeating everything in your room, do not stay at this hotel. If you do not mind cigarette smoke, then you may like the hotel. Other than the smoke, the carpet in our room had small burns everywhere and we were careful not to walk barefoot anywhere. My two colleagues froze in their rooms and the thermostat didn't work. When one of my colleagues (Chinese) asked about this, he was told by the front desk that the heat purposely wasn't turned on. The wifi didn't work anywhere and one of my colleagues tried several different floors to try and find a place where he could get reception. Other reviews indicated that the breakfast was very good but we found many of the dishes to be greasy and overcooked.
From our point of view, there is nothing about this hotel that we could recommend. We booked into the Renaissance Marriot and it was wonderful. I highly recommend going there even if it is a little bit more expensive. Despite all the positive reviews, I hope my comments will at least prompt you to consider carefully whether you want to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank blanco1
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I virtually lived in this hotel while on a business trip and it's quite comfortable. The rooms are spacious, comfortable bed and good choice for breakfast. It's in a good location for shopping as it's on a pedestrian street but if you need taxis it's a bit inconvenient and you need to walk from the main road. When I stayed there during December, the air con only blew hot in the evening. Reception kindly gave me an electric heater to warm the room up if I was working there during the day. Very friendly staff, in particular the manager. They will order taxis for you if you ask too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've been travelling around China for several weeks. Great location in the centre of a shopping district.

Comfortable beds and a good breakfast, concierge were helpful. Good shower and a couple of english language tv channels.

would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
zhang d, Director of Sales at Dorsett Wuhan, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2012

Dear guest: we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. thank you for your comments, we will keep our service standard to do the best for every coming customers. we are looking forward your next visit.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

The hotel has the best location - close to both more elegant shops on the pedestrian street and an evening market with lots of local type stuff to buy on a parallell street. A short walk and you find a lot of bars and restaurants at the riverside.

Our standard room was big, comfortable with really nice beds. The bathroom was of the new type with a glass wall against the bedroom, If you want to be private there is a curtain to fold. Breakfast is OK for us western guests. We can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mid_aged_couple
Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is not my usual Wuhan hotel but I will definitely stay here again on my next trip. Location is excellent (except can be tricky getting a cab being on a one-way street). I had a business room and it was massive! Rooms are clean, good water pressure in the shower, and biggest TV I've ever seen in a hotel room (and English channels). The beds are not the softest but much better than many other rock-hard beds I've encountered in China, and huge comfy pillows made up for it. Not all reception staff speak English but again that is a Chinese thing, not a fault of this hotel. We used the airport-pick up service, also excellent. The restaurant is OK for breakfast and dinner but nothing to rave about and wi-fi in the rooms would be handy.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
zhang d, Director of Sales at Dorsett Wuhan, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Dear guest: we are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. thank you for your recognition of our hotel. we are looking forward your next visit.