“Good Hostel, with good location.”

Pathfinder International Youth Hostel
Ranked #18 of 110 Specialty Lodging in Wuhan
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Good Hostel, with good location.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed here with a friend whist the school I was working at in Guangzhou was on Christmas holidays. We were at the hostel for 3 nights and I must say it is one of the better hostels I have stayed in.

There is a really nice and relaxed atmosphere there which I think is helped by the staff encouraging visitors to leave their stamp on the hotel in the form of art work in pretty much every room you go in to. There is a large seating area with comfy sofas and seating for lounging, going on your laptop, or ordering food. Or there is a smaller area next to the reception to order hot drinks form when if you are only having a quick one.

The room I stayed in was a 8 bed dorm. There was plenty of lockable cupboards should you want one, and the WIFI connection seemed to work fine throughout the hostel when I was there. The only thing I would probably change if I should ever return would be to get a room which had its own toilet. As we were there in December the place was really cold and during the middle of the night I have to go down 2 flights of stairs and out into a an outside courtyard where the toilets and showering facilities were. These were FREEZING and not lit the best. The showers in the morning were also just as cold, so maybe being in the comfort of your room, as so not to brave the elements would make this experience a little easier.

It is not exactly the most cleanest of hostels, but Wuhan is an industrial town, so therefore not entirely clean itself. I left with a bad chest and throat jsut from the couple of days we were there.

Wuhan is massive, even in Chinese terms. The city has actually been made up of 2 other cities, so therefore you will find things to do, it is just a case of actually getting there and back easily. However I found the taxi drivers to be really friendly and helpful (there was no metro at the time I visited, however I know that there was talk of one being constructed.)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at this hostel. We were only here for about 2 nights in June 2012, but we really enjoyed it.

We chose a room with double bed and private bathroom. Our room was "fairly clean" ... not the cleanest hostel we stayed at during our travels around China, but it was pretty good. The beds were pretty comfortable for a hostel too which was nice.

The grounds of this place are quite quaint. The hostel is set back from the road, and it has it's own courtyard with greenery, and nice places to hang out. We also enjoyed a drink down in the hostel lounge & cafe every now and then.

Overall we would definitely return to this hostel if we return to Wuhan.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Hangzhou
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

On Annual Leave, I decided to go to Wuhan for siteseeing and experienece the different culture in mid of China.

Found the hostel on www.hostelworld.com and it was recommended by the previous customer.

I booked their private double room, the Wifi works pretty good in my room and in the common area. The only weakness is the hot water in the morning turns warm when temprature is only -3 outside.

Receptionist is very kind and helpful.

Me and my girlfriend joined the Drum party on 22 Dec. 12 which was the end day of Maya Calendar. We enjoyed the moment organized by the Pathfinder.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JarodZhu
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

This is my third time staying here. The only factor being I needed a cheap place nearest to Wuhan university.

Stayed in May, June and December. All mixed dorms (the only type available).

Although my third time, this was the only time when I saw an activity carried out, and I must say the atmosphere was great. It was a performance, singing and instruments playing mainly. One could sing if so desires, there's a keyboardist for accompaniment.

Rooms are as others said, quite dirty. Saw small insects crawling in the middle of the night around the edges of the wooden cupboards. So just don't place food items there.

Liked that the beds are especially comfortable, seems bigger than hostels I've stayed in, could put a row of things on my bed and still having enough space to stretch my legs and flip and turn.

The first time I came, I met more locals, subsequently it was more foreigners or from outside Wuhan. The lobby or bar area was a convenient meeting place bar smoking. But the entire Wuhan is probably a smoking cove.

Service wise, I preferred the boys working night shift, they were more willing to meet my demands compared to the morning shift.

• Stayed December 2012
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

after booking the hostel i had quite a few worries about the nature of the facilities here.
(after reading all the reviews about the place being dirty and the staff unfriendly)
i must say i was very surprised! (so surprised that i felt obliged to write this review)
the room is very nice! with comfortable bed and a well working Air conditioning
(most welcome in the excruciating heat of Wuhan!)
the toilet are Chinese but clean and the shower is good and new!
big mirrors in the room and shower :) and a vintage TV (that i don't think work - but is cute)
the staff are very friendly and helpful and the common areas are very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I stayed @ the Pathfinder International Youth Hostel June 2012. There were a lot of activities going on: movie premières, they were painting the bar, etc. Staff is very friendly and they speak English. During my visited, the cleanliness of the room and shared bathroom was very poor. I think the staff focusses too much on the hipness of the place and forgot about the quality. Food quality was also poor.

They have a great outdoor garden terrace. The inside bar/restaurant area is also very nice, with a separate TV room to watch sports games, etc.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Evert_d_K
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2011

We (1 couple + 1 friend) spent a couple of days at this hostel before moving to a hotel next door. We were traveling in China for a month staying at similar places but this was by far the worst experience. I want to point out that neither of us are picky and we have slept in all kinds of places but this just wasn't okay.

Positive:
+ excellent coffee
+laundry facilities
+ nice enough staff that spoke english
+ comfy bed

Negative:
- We booked a cheaper room for 2 people but when we arrived we had to pay for a more expensive room.
- It says that they have 24 h hot water, however there was no hot water between 2pm and 6 pm (this is not a problem if you know in advance)
- Wifi didn't work in our room which was apparently "too far away" from the router
- we had a private bath and had to shower on top of the squat toilet (didn't check the common showers maybe they were better)
- the floor in our room was very dirty, I made the mistake of walking barefoot from the bathroom to the bed (2m) and my feet were black (seriously)
- the bathroom was not clean either and there was a very old and dark toilet brush laying on the floor.
- we had to empty the trash can in the bathroom oursleves
- the windows had no isolation so it must be freezing in winter
- there is a dog next door that howled all night so we couldn't sleep (this is of course not the hostel's fault but it might be good to know).
- they say they book tickets but that does not seem to include long-distance trains and buses

At the end we moved to a hotel in a building almost next door, for the same price we got a excellent room.

All in all, if this hostel were cheaper it might do for a night or two but for the amount of money they want for a double room you might as well get a hotel.
I want to underline that I am not picky and I can sleep anywhere as long as it is clean and the bed is okay. But please look into other options, I am sure there are several in Wuhan. Checking into a chinese hotel is not difficult if you have a phrasebook.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends