“Service Shines, Rooms Do Not”

Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou
Ranked #14 of 1,508 Hotels in Zhengzhou
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed here during our adoption trip. The room was booked for a week entirely on reward points. I was pleased to see that we were upgraded to a duplex suite on the first floor and slept our first night (without our baby) in that room. I echo the previous reviewer; it was dirty and old. It also seemed small despite being two floors. The bathroom layout did not make sense.

I approached the manager on duty early the next morning and he offered a free upgrade to a larger suite. It had a dining room, desk, living room and bedroom. It was much better suited for our needs and this gesture made the trip. It was nice to have the extra space for the baby to sleep and for us to sit and eat. The furnishings here were not as tired but still need updating. One wing of the hotel appears to be under renovation. Overall, Mr. Li and the staff made up for any shortcomings of the hardware with courteous and prompt service.

The restaurants were ok, but the best meals were had at the 24 hour cafe at the Holiday Inn next door. You can have this charged to the room. There is a 7-11 across the street, a very nice park 5 minutes away and a Walmart two intersections away.

We would stay here again, probably only in the larger suite though. I am not sure of the cost but it would likely be worth it for such a long stay. Avoid the duplexes. The Free WiFi did not reach our room so I had to use an Ethernet adapter.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite, avoid the duplexes.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cfo314
valerie g, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

We are always seeking feedback from our guests tounderstand what they value and what can be improved, so weare grateful for your comments and room will beimproved in the coming months.We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon

Reviewed September 7, 2013

My daughter/son-in-law and myself were in Zhengzhou early March 2013 to meet our adoptive son, and the adoption agency put us in this hotel. We stayed on the side of the hotel that has the bigger rooms, we like the extra seating area. What we didn't realize is that our rooms got really hot in the day, and in March, there is no air conditioning. I have to draw the heavy curtain tight in order to keep the room cool. It was then I realized the curtains had never been cleaned. They desperately need to be replaced. Rest of the hotel is fine. The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant has a good breakfast buffet spread. I actually thought that the breakfast there in some ways is better than that of China Hotel (Marriott) in Guangzhou. There is a nice park within walking distance from Crowne Plaza. I am sure for Zhengzhou, Crowne Plaza would not be a bad choice. Our adoption agency is known for their 5 star service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
valerie g, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you. Your comments have been noted, and we are planning for improvements to no air conditioning in the coming months.I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us directly.

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

Definitely not the best in town. The room wasn't so good and it was a little bit grumpy. The breakfast wasn't also so much choice. As I either drink tea nor coffee, I asked for a 'hot chocolate'. But it seems that they don't have it or perhaps they didn't know what it means.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank SteFunny_17
valerie g, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guest ,Thanks for sharing your valuable feedback with regards to our hotel guest room and our breakfast .We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and will definitely rectify the issues that were being brought up. Because our hotel is being decorated. Rest assured that we are lookinginto both our software and hardware facilities, ensuring that weprovide all our guests with an excellent experience while staying with us.We hope this would not deter you from choosing Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again. Thank you!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Being a platinum member of IHG I was upgraded to a two level floor suite on the 1st floor. Let me start off by saying what I liked about this hotel. Location is decent, and the service throughout the hotel was excellent. Sleeping comfort was very good with very nice pillows. What I didn't like about the hotel was the following. 1. It needs a major revamp.This is possibly one of the oldest hotel rooms I have stayed at. The furniture is old and not properly maintained. The carpets in the room was filthy. There was a washing machine in my shower stall and I had to use the tub instead. I have no idea what it was doing there. There is absolutely no wifi unless you get a router from the front desk and even with that the wifi is fair at best. It is too bad with a hotel with such great service can have such deplorable room conditions.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank PDX16
valerie g, Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Dear Guest ,Thanks for sharing your valuable feedback with regards to our hotel guest room.We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience due to the old room fumiture. assured that we are lookinginto both our software and hardware facilities, we will upgrade the room fumiture ,ensuring that weprovide all our guests with an excellent experience while staying with us.We hope this would not deter you from choosing Crowne plaza zhengzhou again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you back toour hotel again. Thank you!

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Travelling around China, you never know what to expect so I booked into the Holiday Inn chain which I had found to be a reliable brand. They have 3 hotels, Holiday Inn, Express and Crowne Plaza. As both the Holiday Inn and Express was full, I booked into Crowne Plaza instead. The hotel is old, used to the the state guests house, I understand. But the service was warm and friendly, the breakfast was very good, lots of variety, Chinese and Western and delicious. My room was clean, the bed comfortable and very spacious. More importntly they gave me a router to get wifi in my room, free...and it works! So I don't have to go down to hotel lobby to use my laptop and ipad. On my second night, the day turned very hot from one day to the next, so my room was a little hot to sleep. I complain to the manager who apologise and offer me and my guest a free drinks and dinner on their buffet. I will certainly stay here again and have no problem to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
valerie g, Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Guest: Thank you for your review and being detailed in the good, the bad and the opportunities to improve. We do appreciate the high praise you have given to our Restaurant Breakfast Quality., Cleanliness, Service and WIFI Quality. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travel bring you back to Zhengzhou.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

This was an unexpected night in the city so this was a last minute decision. Regardless, i highly recommend this hotel. The staff was superb and very helpful, very friendly. The restaurant that we ate in was excellent with a private room. The WiFi in the lobby was very good and they provided with me a router for my room which worked just fine. The room/bathroom was very clean and very comfortable.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest: Thank you for your comprehensive review. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We really appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Zhengzhou.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night on business. The experience is as though you are staying in China's best hotel twenty years ago...or more. The lobby is the old-style amalgamation of marble, gilt, and Victorian-style furniture. The rooms are very out-dated with those old bedside tables with all of the room controls built into the front panel.

On the other hand, in the main restaurant just off the lobby, when they hand you the menu you discover that it's a full-functioning iPad! The TV in the rooms is flat-screen and the internet works.

One wing of the hotel is under a much-needed renovation and the rooms in the old wing are clean ad everything worked in mine. Even the smoking room I was given was odor free.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the staff is uniformly helpful and always smiling. The food in the restaurant is excellent and the buffet breakfast is extensive....five different varieties of congee!

If they update the fittings and the style, Zhengzhou will certainly have an excellent five-star hotel.

Room Tip: Enjoy the contrasts. But, f you want a really good room, wait until the renovation is finished.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest: Thank you for your review and comments. We do appreciate the high praise you have given to our Cleanliness, Value, Service and Restaurant Breakfast Quality. We strive to give great and impressive service to all our guests and it makes us happy to read that we exceed your expectations. Hotel is under renovation phase 1 now, where all guest rooms in the east wing will be completely renovated soon. Plus a new bar and restaurant will be opened. Meanwhile the west wing guest rooms (scheduled for phase 2) will not be affected by the construction work. All guests facilities, including health club, swimming pool, bar and restaurants, function rooms and so on will remain accessible and unaffected by the east wing renovation.We really look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy staying in our new Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou guest rooms and facilities after renovation.