“Old hotel, great service, good value!”

Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou
Ranked #10 of 1,413 Hotels in Zhengzhou
“Old hotel, great service, good value!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is definitely old, historical even!...in need of renovation which the staff said will happen anytime soon. But what really impressed me was the staff's attitude. Nothing is too difficult and they go out on a limb to please. I had forgotten to bring my shampoo and conditioner (I detest those tiny bottles they have in hotels which are usually impossible to squeeze out) and when I mentioned to the room staff, the next thing she came back with two big bottles of shampoo and conditioners. Such liitle touches meant more to me than a spanking new hotel that laks soul. It was nice that the hotel staff understood and speak some English. In China this is not common, especially in secondary city like Zhengzhou. The food there is good too. Breakfast at the coffee shop had lots of choices for foreigners, and the Italian restaurant was superb. My 4 nights stay there was one of the best in my travel across China. I highly recommend this hotel.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
valerie g, Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou and satisfaction of our service.
We are doing the renovation one floor by one floor from 1 Jan. We will deliver more luxurious facilities and amenities for guests by then. We are truly looking forward to your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

Nice 5 Stars Hotel in Zhengzhou!! Location is excellent as it is in the nicer part of town. Breakfast is very good from authentic chinese to western choice. Nothing to complain about!

The Concierge is very attentive and one of the best I experienced in China. I came back late from the day tour and have only 3hrs from my night flight, the concierge manager on duty help to prepare the drop off car and put all my luggages in the car while I rush back to my room for a quick shower. Once I return to the desk to checkout, everything is ready and without any delay off I go to the airport. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
valerie g, Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this review, December 17, 2012

Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou.

We do appreciate you taking the time to share your pleasant experience at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou. It certainly is a pleasure to know that our efforts are recognized. I have passed on your positive comments to the departments concerned.

We’re look forward to welcoming you back and extending Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou international's high standards of luxury hospitality to you again.
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed here in July 2012 for one week while completing an international adoption. Pros: a breakfast buffet with something for everyone; diligent cleaning staff; huge indoor swimming pool; onsite Italian restaurant with terrific pizza, staff who treated our newly adopted child with compassion and kindness (we were having issues!). Cons: the rooms are a bit dated and a little cramped, and at times, seemed to have a bit of an odor. We also had trouble getting really hot water. We never complained. The service was great, so I'm sure if we had complained, we would have been moved. There wasn't much else within walking distance as far as shopping or restaurants. The hotel restaurants were a little pricey for our family, so we would have enjoyed finding some less expensive options nearby. This hotel is on a very busy street in a busy area. There are local flavor places to walk back behind the hotel, but the larger shopping area is about a 20 minute walk. You can get a cheap cab it if it's too hot or too far to walk. We did try the Holiday Inn's noodle shop - not bad, but not great. Our favorite find was the nearby coffee shop (can't recall the name) that is on the second floor of the building in front of the Holiday Inn -- large, affordable menu with Western and Chinese choices. We did, on our last day, find a wonderful park worth within walking distance. Wished we had found it sooner!!! In short, this hotel met our needs and we would stay again; it just would have been nice to be able to really get out and explore the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
valerie g, Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou as you home away from home in our city. We are delighted to have you as our guest.
We are devoted to offer excellent high quality service to all guests. To improve the staying experience of the guest, we already have planned to renovate. We will deliver more luxurious facilities and amenities for guests by then. We are truly looking forward to your next visit.

Odessa, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

If you are looking to kick back a few with the local expat crowd, visit the White Horse tavern in the Crown Plaza Hotel. There is a pool table, ESPN sports, Carlsberg beer on tap and a live Filipino band. A good place to let your hair down and share some stories with local American, Aussie and Irish expat regulars who tend to take over the bar on Friday nights.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
valerie g, Manager at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou Zhongzhou, responded to this review, July 21, 2012

Thank you for staying at Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou.

We do appreciate you taking the time to share your pleasant experience at White Horse Bar. It certainly is a pleasure to know that our efforts are recognized. I have passed on your positive comments to the departments concerned.

We're look forward to welcoming you back and extending Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou international's high standards of luxury hospitality to you again.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

The service and beauty of this hotel were outstanding, I would highly recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thanks for choosing Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou and for your good review. We are delighted to have you as our guest. We look forward of welcoming you back to one of our hotels in the near future.

Scranton, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

Nice hotel and a few good places in the nearby area. Nice music in the lounge but watch out for the mosquitos!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2012

I was on a business trip in Zhengzhou, and due to the rush I booked to stay at the Crowne Plaza without checking out the reviews.

Now I have to say that the professional photos displayed, are indeed very professionally taken. In fact, when I was in the cab going to the hotel and when I saw it, I dropped my jaw in aghast. "Could this old, derelict building, be the Crowne Plaza Zhengzhou?"

The building is in desperate need of serious renovation. In fact, even the Holiday Inn located behind the Crowne Plaza looks much newer, although both are opened around the same time and they share the same facilities. The room looked very tired, walls strewn with old wallpaper flanked with faded wall trims that have been plastered over and over again. The bathrooms, are of course, old. I think the newest thing about the room is the flat panel screen TV. And if you're looking for the mini-bar fridge, it's not where you think it is: It's located under the writing desk.

Breakfast has much to be desired. I realized that the "continental" side of breakfast isn't exactly continental. Eggs benedict are pretty far off from the real thing, and the type of noodles used for laksa (a type of South East Asian cuisine) are waaaaay off. The best breakfast items they have are the Chinese dishes, and this is probably because the majority of guests at this hotel are domestic guests, hence a full fledged continental spread is probably not as welcome.

However, the service standards of the staff amazes me. Extremely polite and courteous, they are friendly and attentive to your questions and needs. Doesn't matter if you don't speak Chinese, they can speak enough English to help you around, and even recommend you to a couple of bars and hot spots.

Location is great, easy access to most parts of town. However, to get to the hotel sometimes the cab driver will have to make a detour around due to traffic flow restrictions. Expect rates to drop within the next two years as more 5-star hotels open in the city, otherwise a complete renovation overhaul is definitely a must to maintain market superiority!

Room Tip: Only one of the wings is non-smoking, so choose in advance and choose wisely! Hotel has only 200 plu...