“Pretty much what you'd expect.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sofitel Zhengzhou

Sofitel Zhengzhou
Ranked #5 of 1,413 Hotels in Zhengzhou
Beijing, China
“Pretty much what you'd expect.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

Generally speaking, this is a very good hotel and I think the staff genuinely try their best to make it a comfortable place to stay. I've stayed here numerous times over the past few years and it's been consistent throughout that time - for better or worse with neither improvement nor decline.
Rooms are functional, medium-sized with small work area and lounge chair. Careful you don't spill your drinks through the side-table - a strange design I initially thought was a combination of glass-top and wooden-top turned out just to be the latter with extended frames of empty space. Bathrooms are compact but enough for a short stay, though I'd prefer the water a little hotter than has recently been the norm.
They have a tendency to 'over-air-condition' the rooms here, and this time I stayed it was like walking into an oven. Thankfully, the windows open and you can control the air-con yourself. Fortunately, the room was also available for a slightly early check-in, which has not always been the case and has resulted in some negative feeling in the past - especially when they try to put you in an inferior room and then don't bother to credit your clubcard. Some serious exchanges between the 'director of reservations' and myself resulted in a positive outcome, eventually.
I have used the pool area some time ago but wasn't too impressed. It seemed dated and the water temperature dropped rapidly as you swam away from the pumps. Also the spa was not operational at the time.
Breakfast has always been good with plenty of choice and fresh beverages and the atrium restaurant seems like it would be a nice place to relax and have dinner. Unfortunately, I've never tried because there always seems to be some overly loud musical 'entertainment' going on. Room service is ok but inconsistent in my experience in terms of quality and, to a lesser extent, quantity. There's not so many eateries in close proximity but there are a couple of other hotels with restaurants. The Crowne Plaza, I think it is, has a Brazilian Barbecue and an Italian but neither are above average. Otherwise, I don't particularly care for the immediate surrounds of the hotel and most of my male colleagues are unable to walk up to the convenience store at the junction without being invited by a 'hairdresser' for a 'massage'. It's also one of those places where electric motor scooters silently whizz past you on the pavements making for an unpleasant stroll. Nevertheless, if you're not so bothered about venturing out, the hotel offers a pretty comfortable stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Pune
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2010

Enjoyed stay in Sofitel. Grand Hotel. Visit to Shao Lin was great. Saw live Chinese martial art (kung fu)

Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2009

I was with a tour group of 66 and we had buffet dinner on 23October2009. Our group
checked in the restaurant at 8pm. The local guide called at 4pm to reconfirm our booking, but when we arrived, the tables are not set and ready for us. When we finally were seated we found the warmers without food as advertised. No rack of lamb. No salmon. When we asked the staff, we were told that no more food is coming for the evening!! Far from my experience in 2008 because I came with another group and we had tons of food. In fact, in 2008 we had waitress coming around to our tables asking us whether we want some more rack of lamb etc.. We were extremely disappointed.

On the next day, 24Oct2009, we went sightseeing in Kaifeng and upon returning to
Sofitel Zhengzhou in the evening we were riled to find that the buffet dining room was
serving everything that we missed the night before and more!!! Of course, we had
our dinners already in Kaifeng!

After we complained to the management, there were apologies galore but nothing
concrete to make up for our dissatisfaction. We were assured of a better experience
if we were to come again but this is a trip of a life time. Finally the restaurant
promised to serve us the rack of lamb and salmon on the next morning at breakfast
as we were leaving Zhengzhou for Taiyuan the next day. Better than nothing but the
disappointment lingers.

Stayed October 2009
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

I stay about one week at the Sofitel zhengzhou to see my best friend who live there. The rooms are very nice but the hotel is noisy. The main restaurant is very good and the there is a lot of choice over there. However the service can be improved.
I didnt spend that much time over there so I can be more specific but this hotel is a nice property.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

This is my third stay at the Sofitel in Zhengzhou. The lobby and atrium (where the restaurants and bars are located) are spectacular by anyone's standards. The rooms are reasonably sized by Asian standards, although they have very little in the way of storage in the room, and there is too much furniture (making it feel crowded). Yes, the staff are friendly and there are plenty of them ... to call the elevator for you from the lobby, to say open the front doors for you, greet you upon arrival at the meeting rooms and restaurants. The front desk staff is anything but helpful -- check-in always seems to be an ordeal (involving many people and much consultation among staff), requests are not well understood, resulting in what I consider to be poor customer service. For example, my room is costing 650 RMB, and my request for a late check-out (after arriving at 11 PM on my first night) would cost an additional 450 RMB. When I asked to speak with a manager about this, she informed me because of the high occupancy of the hotel, a fee would be required for a late check-out, which of course makes no sense. They either have the space to let me stay until 4 PM or they do not .. it's not a matter of money. As another example, trying to call another hotel guest took over five minutes between the operator being able to find which room the guest was in, and then transfer me to the proper room (I got transferred to a fax machine three times). When I called to ask for the room of my work associate, I was asked for the room number. If I had the room number, I would have dialed it myself.

Although the rooms are reasonably priced (in my opinion), everythign else here is very expensive. I had my eye on a Haagen Daaz ice cream bar in the lobby pasry shop -- it cost 48 RMB. Getting a receipt for purchases at that shop was also an ordeal, involving several people going to several places just to produce one (although on the first visit to the shop the young woman working there had no idea how to get one made).

I stay at this place because it is convenient for my business. If it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have stayed here a second time.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Paris
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2008

Our stay at the Sofitel Zhengzhou has been very pleasant, with only one negative point about the swimming pool (not very nice, not very clean).
A special mention for the breakfast buffet, not to be missed, and for the excellent help from the concierge (Roger).

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2008

just stayed there a few days ago. It's probably the best hotel in zhengzhou. I've stayed in Crown plaza which is very near sofitel but Sofitel is definitely better.

Hotel is reasonably priced, paid less than RMB800 for my room. Got upgraded to the club floor room and the room seems newly refurbished and compares well to the five star hotels in the big cities in China. Bed is very comfortable. The room even has a fax/printer/scanner which I thought was a very nice feature for business travellers.

order room service twice and would say the food is reasonably good.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)