“Well worth a visit”

and up
Small-Group Customizable 1 Day Private Harbin City Tour
Ranked #8 of 213 things to do in Harbin
Reviewed July 17, 2014

In the last 4 years there have been many improvements to this site. More rooms are open and they are doing excavations out the back. There are now audio guides ( not an improvement on the personal guided toured we had last time) and videos showing the types of experiments carried out. 731 is a must for all and a reminder of the worst of human nature.

1  Thank jem0jam

Reviewed April 23, 2014

As a student of History I wonder how the free world would punish and condem the Axis powers of war crime and ignore what the Japanese did to the people of China. I now know that the United States Government ignored what took place in China.What was done here was used to faclitate my own governments advance in inhuman treatment of our fellow humans in the world. We as Americans are as guilty as those that built and used the concertration camps. I am ashamed.

11  Thank GECII
Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Closed on the day we visited, the guard at the gate said it was because the people who work inside didn't turn up to work ... that's a pretty poor reason to shut the whole museum down for the day ...

6  Thank Andrew_Alin
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

When you arrive here it immediately feels like a haunted building in the same way that concentration camps have an air of death around them. I had heard about the atrocities commited here mainly from the infamous exploitation movie 'Men Behind the Sun', and to my surprise they were playing extremely graphic clips from the film, showing various experiments. I found this quite innapropriate, especially as there were children present. The audio guide and the displays would have been sufficient and your imagination can do the rest. A shlocky b-movie cheapened the experience. The 15 yuan audio guide is probably worthwhile. At first it seemed to just be an aural version of the english information boards, but as you go round the displays become few and far between and the audio guide gives you much more detail. Previous reviews mention the anti-Japan bias. Maybe they've toned it down since. I didn't find it went overboard, and there was a room dedicated to Japanese members of unit 731 who later repented, and this seemed to point towards forgiveness, not just bitterness. Definitely worth a visit considering it's free. Get the 338 bus (as well as leaving from Kunlun hotel in the centre, there's a stop somewhere on Hexing road for those staying towards the south of Harbin) or the 343 (goes down Xuefu road)

8  Thank 797pete
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I wasn't interested in visiting this place and after visiting it was at loss for words. It is a perfect example of what monsters can do and what we have all forgotten and forgiven. While standing there at the gates after I had exited this house of horrors, I couldn't stop wondering what must have gone through every one of those victims entering this place knowing that this is going to be the last they are ever going to see the outside world. It's funny when I read some of the comments here stating there should have been a more un-biased approach. Don't miss this place.

9  Thank Amith G