All reviewsthe club loungejapanese restaurantwanda shopping mallbusiness tripwestern cuisinehome away from homenice hotelclub staffthe dragonthe general managernice roomspecial thankscompared to other hotelsenglish levelfitness centerinternet connectiondepartment store
Reviewed October 8, 2009

This is probably the best hotel in Harbin (along with Shangri-la). I dont know about the past, but in present days, this is a five star hotel with all that it takes. Me and my friend were welcomed at the reception by an english speaking receptionist who was born in Harbin and spoke fluent English. She took care of us and showed us two rooms (one for 950 a night and the other 1300 per night including entrance to the Club) and a swimming pool. I decided to take the Club room with breakfast included and it was well worth it. The staff of the hotel was very kind and helpful and treated me... well yeah, why not say it. Like royalty. I didnt experience any problem with the services at all. There are separate elevators going to the Club room floors (1,2,3, 19-22). The rooms are really nice. With big TV (HBO and other channels), french beds (the softest bed I have ever slept in). Swimming pool and sauna are free of charge, but you have to pay for the SPA (Im not sure how much, I think 700 RMB but not sure really). Quality of the food? I only had breakfast in the hotel, but there was french croissants, bagette and for me, spending a long time in Harbin, this was a real treat. There was also chinese food and sushi. There are other restaurants and clubs (one with live music). The interior of the hotel is really nice. As for the Club... I think its worth it as you can check out at 4 o clock and you can enjoy free drinks in the Club (beer, sprite, coke...), snacks and there is also a private reception for you on the 19 floor. All in all, five star gem.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Lantis_Esquin
Reviewed January 20, 2009

We visited two nights during the 2009 Harbin Ice Festival. This was a little bit of a splurge for us but we wanted a reliable hotel after exploring the city all day in sub freezing temperatures. The Sofitel met all our expectations. The room itself was nicely sized with a really great king sized bed, flat screen TV, free internet, etc. The bathroom had a deep full sized tub which was good for a soak to restore feeling in the extremities. The staff was very helpful. No one had perfect English but everyone was eager to keep trying until understanding was reached. Every time we called the guest services for anything like an extra pillow or plug adapter they came right away. I really appreciated their efforts. The staff was also helpful in explaining the different sites of the festival and the rest of the city. The hotel had a nice indoor pool and a nicely sized fitness center. If you travel here, I can't imagine getting better treatment somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank badwaiter
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed for one restful night while on a recent business trip to China. The room was big, modern, tasteful and comfortable and the bed a real treat after staying at Chinese hotels the with harder and smaller beds. The breakfast buffet was adequate and the service at the hotel excellent with all service staff who helped me very friendly and with adequate English speaking capabilites (after all this is China - not London or New York - and people should be happy if English spoken at all). My only complaint - I wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy this gem of a hotel but needed to rush off to Beijing the very next day. Will definitely stay again the next time in Harbin!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank betusarix
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I visited Harbin in February 2008 during a business trip and I was very pleasantly surprised with the hotel. We stayed at the Sofitel Wanda, which apparently just opened a few months ago. The location was excellent and very convenient. The room was very impressive (it came with flat a screen TV) and very comfortable.

During our stay we had dinner at Elements and I was blown away by the quality of the food. Who knew that I would be raving about excellent European food in Harbin.

We had breakfast every morning at the hotel and the variety and the quality of the buffet was excellent (the freshly squeezed juice was a must every morning).

The service was great and overall this was a great place to stay. I recommend it to anyone planning a trip to that side of the world.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank LukeMontreal
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I have stayed at Sofitel Harbin when they opened, and returned in January. I definitely can see the improvement. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff may not speak English (which is localy problem) but they are very willing to find the way to help. Reception will need
some training as check-in time quite long.

Breakfast: variety of food up to satisfactory, service improved a lot. I have spoke to the Food & Beverage Director and found out they went through a profound training course with the staff as a result of customer feedback. They take on board every comments and made the necessary steps to improve customer satisfaction.

My overall stay was above avarage compare to the Chinese hospitality culture which does not exist, and this is not the hotel fault. When we tavel we should take into consideration the mentality and culture of the country as the standards may vary in different countries.

Stayed: January 2008