All reviews the club lounge japanese restaurant wanda shopping mall business trip western cuisine home away from home nice hotel club staff the dragon the general manager nice room special thanks compared to other hotels english level fitness center internet connection department store
Reviewed July 23, 2008

Stayed for one restful night while on a recent business trip to China. The room was big, modern, tasteful and comfortable and the bed a real treat after staying at Chinese hotels the with harder and smaller beds. The breakfast buffet was adequate and the service at the hotel excellent with all service staff who helped me very friendly and with adequate English speaking capabilites (after all this is China - not London or New York - and people should be happy if English spoken at all). My only complaint - I wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy this gem of a hotel but needed to rush off to Beijing the very next day. Will definitely stay again the next time in Harbin!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
4  Thank betusarix
Reviewed March 7, 2008

I visited Harbin in February 2008 during a business trip and I was very pleasantly surprised with the hotel. We stayed at the Sofitel Wanda, which apparently just opened a few months ago. The location was excellent and very convenient. The room was very impressive (it came with flat a screen TV) and very comfortable.

During our stay we had dinner at Elements and I was blown away by the quality of the food. Who knew that I would be raving about excellent European food in Harbin.

We had breakfast every morning at the hotel and the variety and the quality of the buffet was excellent (the freshly squeezed juice was a must every morning).

The service was great and overall this was a great place to stay. I recommend it to anyone planning a trip to that side of the world.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank LukeMontreal
Reviewed February 16, 2008

I have stayed at Sofitel Harbin when they opened, and returned in January. I definitely can see the improvement. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff may not speak English (which is localy problem) but they are very willing to find the way to help. Reception will need
some training as check-in time quite long.

Breakfast: variety of food up to satisfactory, service improved a lot. I have spoke to the Food & Beverage Director and found out they went through a profound training course with the staff as a result of customer feedback. They take on board every comments and made the necessary steps to improve customer satisfaction.

My overall stay was above avarage compare to the Chinese hospitality culture which does not exist, and this is not the hotel fault. When we tavel we should take into consideration the mentality and culture of the country as the standards may vary in different countries.

Stayed: January 2008
3  Thank mazsola
Reviewed February 9, 2008

The room was very nice, clean sheets and duvet cover every day, bathroom looked lovely but impossible to shower without causing a flood due to the design of the tub and taps.
The restaurants were OK, we ate Japanese one night, very good, buffet the next....and a la carte the next....they have big time service problems. Most staff speak no English...this is not necessarily Sofitel's fault, very few people in Harbin speak any english, including at the luxury shopping store next door...Vans...(where they won't take an international credit card!) To be fair to the staff they were pleasant and seemed to want to help but need training and English big time!!!!!
We unfortunately saw housekeeping at work...glasses and mugs were washed in water in the bathroom sink and put back in place! Yuuuk! There was no trolley with clean glasses etc. on so this is obviously common practice, I will bring this to the managers' attention before we leave BUT again this comes down to TRAINING!
Having stayed at many hotels on many continents this was a disappointment by Sofitel standards and should be rated at max a 4 star until they sort themselves out. On another note we felt Harbin only needed one day to see the snow sculptures, Russian stuff and ice buildings, not enough for 2 days.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank TianjinRosie
Reviewed January 20, 2008

The other reviewers are correct in saying that the service in this hotel is quite bad. It seems they rushed their opening in time to be open for Harbin's Ice Festival, and in so doing failed to properly train their staff... and it showed!

We spent two nights. The rooms are well appointed, beautifully decorated, and as mentioned by another reviewer have great large LCD TVs. The beds are comfortable, and the linens etc. nice quality. We stayed in the Club floor suites, so enjoyed access to soft drinks and snack in the afternnoons which are self serve.

The breakfast service is lousy: the waitress seating us actually huffed and rolled her eyes when we stood firm on wanting to be seated in the non-smoking section. Both mornings we cleared the dirty dishes from our table ourselves, and on the second morning, I also retrieved our silver from behind the hostess counter (having learned the morning before where the forks and spoons were located.)

Unfortunatley, nice touches like individual coffee presses and made-to-order omlets are a little less impressive when they are out of all ingredients but eggs, and the coffee is served sans milk and sugar.

We voiced these concerns with the Guest Relations specialist, along with the unannounced closing of the pool due to heater problems. When we requested a discount we were given a 10% break, but had to go through the whole process again to actually get it applied to our bill when we checked out.

The Sofitel Wanda Harbin is a stunningly beautiful hotel with really poor service!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank AmericanExpatswKids