All reviewsthe club loungejapanese restaurantwanda shopping mallbusiness tripwestern cuisinehome away from homenice hotelclub staffthe dragonthe general managernice roomspecial thankscompared to other hotelsenglish levelfitness centerinternet connectiondepartment store
Reviewed October 16, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Nicolas-Girard, Sun HE Quality & Service Manager at Sofitel Harbin, responded to this reviewResponded October 26, 2012

Reviewed July 30, 2012

There is less expensive accommodation in Harbin, but if you are a Westerner who really wants Western comforts, this is the hotel to book. The staff is very well trained, English spoken by many of the staff (room service, front desk). The food at the hotel is very good, particularly the buffet breakfast. It is worth the extra charge as you will not find a Western breakfast like it anywhere near by.

The company I work for recently switched contracts to another hotel in Harbin, and I am very sorry for that. I miss staying here, and recommend it highly.

Also, warning to any foreign traveler in China who requests a non-smoking room. It is customary in China, if the hotel is full, to give ashtrays to people in non-smoking rooms to solve the customers request. If you arrive and your room smells like smoke, politely go down to the desk and request a new room. Arriving before 5 p.m. makes switching rooms much easier than if you are a late arrival with few rooms available to switch you to.

Room Tip: See my comment about non-smoking rooms. There really is no such thing in China. If your room smells like smoke, politely go and ask for a different one. They normally have smoking and non-smoking floors.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Nicolas-Girard, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Harbin, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team and in particular to our staffs mentioned on your feedback (Front Desk and Room Service).

It is very sad to see that your company has switch their contract to another hotel but do not hesitate to visit us for breakfast, lunch or diner during your next stay in Harbin. It will be a pleasure to be at your service once more.

Thank you for highlighting our service as we strongly believe that feedback is the key to success.

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Quite far from the airport, but Harbin is a big city.
New, fancy hotel.
Beds are very comfortable, definitely "My Bed" standard.
Breakfast is very good, even have various French cheeses and two kinds of bacon (regularly fried and crispy - and I thought I had seen it all).
Chinese restaurant still serves sharkfin soup very prominently. When will international hotels in china finally start to set a sign to protect these species?

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Sofitel-Harbin, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Harbin, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Warm greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on Trip Advisor.

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. We will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of us as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
Sofitel-Harbin, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Harbin, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2012

Reviewed February 14, 2012

This hotel was terrible. We expected 4-5 star and would have gotten better at a 3 star.

1. We requested a non smoking room and when we tried to check in they tried to give us a smoking room and we were told repeatedly that a non smoking room was not available. We had to argue with the woman that we wanted non smoking. It took about 30 mins to get our room preference.
2. The Euro restaurant was awful. I ordered the lamb shanks and they were horrible. They were tiny, swimming in a gravy-like soup, tough enough that I needed a steak knife to get any meat from them, and once I got some meat it tasted really gamey, as if it was goat and not lamb.
3. The Chinese restaurant called Old Shanghai had giant dried shark fins on display. If you don't know what shark fin soup is all about please click this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_finning I am amazed that a hotel like Sofitel can support this practice.
4. When I tried to check out the woman using the credit card machine tried to charge me 50000rmb when it should have been 500 rmb, and then proceeded to try my card in every other machine. All told they tried my card about 10 times to pay the disgusting meal that we couldn't even eat and the effect of this was my card was blocked by my bank. In the end she threw my card at me and toldl me to go to a cash machine to get money out.

However, I think this hotel could be very good. The problem seemed to me that the local staff were inadequately trained and the European staff seem at their wits end about how to change the level of service.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sashok27
Sofitel-Harbin, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Harbin, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Greeting from Sofitel Wanda Harbin.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Your multiple comments are well noted and rest assured that the department head concern has been informed and we will take the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

In closing, thank you for highlighting the service and attitude areas where we can obviously improve upon as I strongly believe that feedback is the key to success. Nonetheless, I would like to once more offer my deepest apologies and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.