4,157 results
All reviews ice palace ice restaurant shang palace the river horizon lounge ice festival hot pot bit dated hotpot chinese restaurant rooms are small breakfast was excellent five star hotel ice world club level central street chinese new year
Selected filters
Reviewed January 29, 2009

Rooms are nice and amenities are good however the service was not up to our expecations. On check-in, the front desk agent did not really speak english and was slightly obnoxious. The western restaurant on the lobby level is large but crowded (we had to wait in line 5 minutes in the morning for breakfast). It is also quite expensive compared to other restaurants in town (e.g. 380 Yuan for two for dinner, compared to less than 150 in the touristy area of Harbin).
Still, the Shangri la is probably a good deal within Harbin, since there are few hotels of international standards

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 28, 2009

We really liked the views outside our window. We ate in the ice palace one night and we enjoyed the experience although we were also glad we didn't have to do it again. We got cold. The food was a hot pot and toward the end of the meal the raw food was frozen to the service plates.

Reviewed January 26, 2009

Traveled to Harbin specifically to visit the Snow and Ice venues. I choose the Shangri_La, becuase it's the closest hotel to the venues across the river, and because I had a positive stay at one of their hotels in Beijing on a previous visit to China two years ago. Even though their rooms are a bit "plain" for a five-star hotel, the service from all the staff is first-rate. Everyone from the airport driver to the bell boys, were very helpful and spoke just enough English. They were especially good at talking to the taxi drivers, and negotiating rates with them. As there are no restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, I has both my evenings meal at the hotel restaurant. There was a choice of a-la carte and a buffet; I'm not a big fan of buffets so I ordered off the menu. Selection was large with dishes from around the world, portions were large and the food very tasty. I was upgraded to the club room, the room was a bit small, but very clean and modern, but nothing splashy. LAN broadband internet was free and very fast. If I return to Harbin I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.
I few tips if you plan to visit Harbin:
The Snow and Ice festivals are amazing! You will not be disappointed! According to the staff, Taxis waiting at the snow and ice venues will rip off people returning to their hotels. So it's best to have the taxi that takes you from the hotel to wait for you, and drive you back. The hotel will negotiate a rate of 60 yuan for an hour, which is very reasonable as it works out to about 7 US dollars. The city center is also worth visiting there is lots of shopping along the main pedestrian shopping street. Also nearby is the Sofia Russian Orthodox Church, and the newly restore Jewish Synagogue. The Synagogue contains an excellent Jewish history museum of Harbin- well explained in English. In the city center there was also a Disney Ice festival, it's smaller than the regular venues across the river but kids would get a kick out of it. Try not to be caught in the city center during the evening rush hour, it's very hard to get a taxi. The best place to get a taxi back to the hotel is next to the bus stop in front of the Wal-Mart near the Flood Monument. One final and important tip, be sure to carry some toilet paper with you, it's not available at any of the public facilities. Even the high-end malls don't have any paper!

• Trip type: Traveled solo
3  Thank mschneider
Reviewed January 10, 2009

Excellent hotel, I specially liked the elevator guy named Paul Wang- so friendly. We had dinner in the ice house and it was so cold and cool! The food was awesome and the bar was great. Entertainment in the bar, piano player and the singers were fun to listen to while having a glass of wine. The view from my room looked across at the ice place, it was a surprise to see. This hotel was very clean and modern.

Reviewed November 27, 2008

Because of my business commitments I have stayed at this hotel many times over the last two years.

Main pluses:

- rooms always very clean & tidy. Cleaning staff always provide more water if asked & very friendly even if they cannot speak English
- I usual stay on the Horizon floor where the lounge is usually quiet, breakfast are adequate but without a lot of choice. It does have a great view of the river and the Ice Festival
- the gym is good. I use the treadmills - these are a good standard and it is never too busy. I have run alongside the river in the summer - whilst a bit crowded it is a nice pleasant route
- the main lounge area can be busy, especially at weekends or during the Festival but at least it has some atmosphere unlike some hotels
- the main western restaurant usually has buffets and al a Carte. Both are acceptable
- the Chinese restaurant is good but expensive compared to local restaurants outside the hotel
- internet consistently good
- good location for Ice Festival but a little too far away from main attractions otherwise
- room service OK but I have been through the menu a couple of times now & would like a change!

Main minuses
- check in / out often slow. A bit quicker if you can use Horizon floor

Suggest you ask for river view room if possible

Date of stay: November 2008