“2 night stay with window facing the sun rise”

Shangri-La Hotel Harbin
Ranked #3 of 1,135 Hotels in Harbin
Melbourne, Australia
“2 night stay with window facing the sun rise”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

First up I'd get a room where the window doesn't face the sun rise. Room was warm so managed to get the temperature down by leaving the curtains open at night & setting the room to 17C. Temp outside was minus 2 to minus 6.
That aside, room was clean and comfortable. Bed was comfy but the pillows were all too soft. Laundry is expensive compared to India - twice the price - but cheap compared to Australia. Plenty of bottled water. Shower had good pressure and water temp. Internet is ok except for the restrictions China has.
Ate in Coffee Garden one night & both breakfasts - food is satisfactory & tasty. plenty of choice. Could do with more vege choice. Scrambled eggs were good.
The restaurant was good - the spicy beef dish was excellent but it leaves your lips numb. Good sized dishes so you don't need one per person. The seasonal veg was cooked perfectly, whatever it was, but it was green veg.
Would stay again.
Good location for a nice walk to Central Street.
Only average because of the temperature issue.

Room Tip: Don't get one facing the sun rise. Otherwise quiet & acceptable.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our visit to the Snow and Ice Festival. We arrived late but were able to order food which was good as the restaurants along the streets looked very closed. Our late arrival was due to waiting for a taxi for 2h after having arrived by train.

Room was ok, but I found it smelled of mould which wasn't too nice. Service was neither good nor bad.

Gym was nicely equipped with some machines and treadmills and cross trainers. The spa area was empty and in here the staff was attentive and brought towels and water (to drink). A lady got a massage while I was there, but it was in the open area between the jacuzzis and the sauna. I would not be very relaxed with that.

Breakfast was excellent with omelettes, pancakes, loads of western as well as Chinese alternatives. However the room was quite noisy

The location is great for the ice festival. You can book a car from the hotel to take you there as getting there can be hard if trying to get at cab. There is a line bus going there too (from opposite the pedestrian street with Starbucks) which costs 2 RMB.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CuriousSwede
Penang, Malaysia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights in early January. Situated next to the Songhua river and a minute taxi ride to Harbin shopping street. Was there in the middle of winter. Strong heating system. Wonderful buffett breakfast with a wide variety of selctions from Western to eastern selectios. I tried the hot pot at the Shang palace ice restaurant whic is only open in winter. Had the RMB288pp hot pot. Food was ample but the real attraction is the restaurant made completely of ice. Service was attentive. There is a heater underneath the table to keep ypu warm and glove are provided. Temperature in the restaurant is approc -15c.Try going for lunch when it is not full. Recommend to book ahead. The rooms at the hotel are dated and needs a refurbish. Not really up to a 5* Shangri La elsewhere. However it is still one of the best in Harbin and the price are reflective also.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

There is so much wrong with this place I don't even know where to start. First, I have stayed at other Shangrila branch hotels an live in China, therefore I know what to expect from international chains vs. local brand hotels. This place operated like a local brand hotel as opposed to an international brand hotel. In addition, I get that language can be an issue but I am fluent in both Chinese and English.

1.) Room was falsely advertised as non-smoking: I specifically requested a non- smoking room which was in my records and they placed me next door to a chain smoker. There are smoking floors and non- smoking floors. Why they placed this man in a non- smoking floor, I will never understand. I get that in China you will sometimes encounter cigarette smoke in a non- smoking area, but this was ridiculous. The man was smoking non- stop and in the hallway. I complained twice and a maid came to spray my room and ignored the fact that there was a person smoking in the hall in front of my room. At 1:30am on my first night input in my 3rd complaint and at that point they offered to change my room, but refused to address the issue with the smoking man in the hall. My clothes and belongings smelled like smoke. I felt i deserved a discount on the first night because a non- smoking room was advertised to me, the manager offered to take off the service charge and included a few eye rolls with it. He made me me feel like it was my fault that the man was smoking on a non- smoking floor. Laughable. These people don't know the first thing about what it takes to run a decent international hotel.

2.) Food tasted horrible and dining hall was poorly run: We were never informed about the breakfast hours- not at check-in or ehen going into the dining hall. We walked in at 10:15 and all the food was out away at 10:30, yet they still made us pay for a buffet breakfast. How does that work?

3.) Gold circle means nothing here: what happened to getting fruit with gold circle? Well they forgot the first night. I thought this was a custom and a must across all Shangrilas.

This experience put me and my colleagues over the edge. I will never stay at another Shangrila after this because I can accumulate my hotel points at other better name brand hotels. In addition, this won't be a reccommendation when my company opens chains in Harbin. I'd rather save my other co-workers and leaders the trouble of staying at a second rate hotel.

The fantastic ice festival and the tiger reserve helped redeem this trip, but both have nothing to do with the Shangrila.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Alexlc211
MichelleMao, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Harbin, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thanks for your review Alexlc211. We feel regretted that you had an unpleasant stay with us. The investigation on this issue is under going. If there is anything we can do or any details you want to offer, please email me directly at michelle.mao@shangri-la.com. Wish there would be another opportunity to serve you in the future and all the best wishes to you.
Brisbane
Reviewed February 28, 2013

A very good hotel, but not quite exceptional. We stayed here during the Harbin ice festival, so it was very busy, however, this did not detract from a very pleasant stay. Reception staff were efficient and helpful and all the dining room staff were very eager to please. The breakfast menu catered to all tastes and there was a very good choice of both Western and Asian food. For a busy hotel, breakfast service was quick and friendly. The ice bar was great fun and again, the staff were friendly and eager to please.
Our room was excellent, comfortable and clean with a magnificent view across the Songhua River to the ice city; spectacular at night. Would stay again

Room Tip: Choose a high level room overlooking the Songhua River.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Shangri-La is one of our most preferred hotel companies in China. We stayed at Guilin and Xian properties in the past month as well with our family of 5 plus a nanny. The Harbin property is a bit old and the rooms are smaller than average. Also, they have very few connecting rooms. Our driver told us that they are building a really big new Shangri-La in Harbin near Sun Island.

Miss Fiona Wu greeted us on arrival and provided plenty of recommendations and assistance. She is EXCEPTIONALl! Limo driver and Concierge Manager were also exceptional.

During our stay, we had the same driver pick us up at the airport, drive us to Ice World, Sun Island Snow Park, Siberian Tiger Park, St. Sofia church, downtown shopping district, and back to the airport. He was great.

Had a quick dinner in the cafe and told the restaurant that we were in a hurry. They delivered our food very quickly. Breakfast was pretty good. The cafe is not as nice and big as a major city Shangri-La buffet restaurants, but good variety. The cafe was very crowded due to the peak season weekend. They were so busy that they made some tables communal tables. That was a turn-off.

GREAT DINING EXPERIENCE: Fiona booked dinner for us at their Ice Palace restaurant. The entire restaurant was made of ice. Great hotpot dinner and such a fun experience for our family. Note: It was really cold in there.

GREAT SERVICE EXPERIENCE: After checking out, we realized that our son left an inexpensive toy behind in the room. It was not worth turning around for so we used it to teach our son a lesson about keeping an eye on his toys. Halfway to the airport, our driver received a call from Fiona saying that Housekeeping found a toy in the room and that they had another limo departing shortly for the airport and that they would send it with the other driver. We told them that it wasn't necessary, but they said that they would still try to get it to us. Their airport staff found us at the check-in counter and delivered the toy to us.

Room Tip: Very hard to get connecting rooms and rooms are on the small side. Due to the peak season, no rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel service was great from the start. We checked in actually in our room, where the girl booked our tickets for the ice & snow festivals.
The staff were always helpful in getting taxis and explaining where we were headed etc

Breakfast was good, Ice Palace was nice for a drink only, not sure wearing coats and gloves for dinner would be comfortable.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple