“Good hotel”

Ranked #1 of 1,115 Hotels in Harbin
Penang, Malaysia
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed there for 3 nights in early January. Situated next to the Songhua river and a minute taxi ride to Harbin shopping street. Was there in the middle of winter. Strong heating system. Wonderful buffett breakfast with a wide variety of selctions from Western to eastern selectios. I tried the hot pot at the Shang palace ice restaurant whic is only open in winter. Had the RMB288pp hot pot. Food was ample but the real attraction is the restaurant made completely of ice. Service was attentive. There is a heater underneath the table to keep ypu warm and glove are provided. Temperature in the restaurant is approc -15c.Try going for lunch when it is not full. Recommend to book ahead. The rooms at the hotel are dated and needs a refurbish. Not really up to a 5* Shangri La elsewhere. However it is still one of the best in Harbin and the price are reflective also.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai, Shanghai, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

There is so much wrong with this place I don't even know where to start. First, I have stayed at other Shangrila branch hotels an live in China, therefore I know what to expect from international chains vs. local brand hotels. This place operated like a local brand hotel as opposed to an international brand hotel. In addition, I get that language can be an issue but I am fluent in both Chinese and English.

1.) Room was falsely advertised as non-smoking: I specifically requested a non- smoking room which was in my records and they placed me next door to a chain smoker. There are smoking floors and non- smoking floors. Why they placed this man in a non- smoking floor, I will never understand. I get that in China you will sometimes encounter cigarette smoke in a non- smoking area, but this was ridiculous. The man was smoking non- stop and in the hallway. I complained twice and a maid came to spray my room and ignored the fact that there was a person smoking in the hall in front of my room. At 1:30am on my first night input in my 3rd complaint and at that point they offered to change my room, but refused to address the issue with the smoking man in the hall. My clothes and belongings smelled like smoke. I felt i deserved a discount on the first night because a non- smoking room was advertised to me, the manager offered to take off the service charge and included a few eye rolls with it. He made me me feel like it was my fault that the man was smoking on a non- smoking floor. Laughable. These people don't know the first thing about what it takes to run a decent international hotel.

2.) Food tasted horrible and dining hall was poorly run: We were never informed about the breakfast hours- not at check-in or ehen going into the dining hall. We walked in at 10:15 and all the food was out away at 10:30, yet they still made us pay for a buffet breakfast. How does that work?

3.) Gold circle means nothing here: what happened to getting fruit with gold circle? Well they forgot the first night. I thought this was a custom and a must across all Shangrilas.

This experience put me and my colleagues over the edge. I will never stay at another Shangrila after this because I can accumulate my hotel points at other better name brand hotels. In addition, this won't be a reccommendation when my company opens chains in Harbin. I'd rather save my other co-workers and leaders the trouble of staying at a second rate hotel.

The fantastic ice festival and the tiger reserve helped redeem this trip, but both have nothing to do with the Shangrila.

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Alexlc211
MichelleMao, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Harbin, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thanks for your review Alexlc211. We feel regretted that you had an unpleasant stay with us. The investigation on this issue is under going. If there is anything we can do or any details you want to offer, please email me directly at michelle.mao@shangri-la.com. Wish there would be another opportunity to serve you in the future and all the best wishes to you.
Brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

A very good hotel, but not quite exceptional. We stayed here during the Harbin ice festival, so it was very busy, however, this did not detract from a very pleasant stay. Reception staff were efficient and helpful and all the dining room staff were very eager to please. The breakfast menu catered to all tastes and there was a very good choice of both Western and Asian food. For a busy hotel, breakfast service was quick and friendly. The ice bar was great fun and again, the staff were friendly and eager to please.
Our room was excellent, comfortable and clean with a magnificent view across the Songhua River to the ice city; spectacular at night. Would stay again

Room Tip: Choose a high level room overlooking the Songhua River.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Shangri-La is one of our most preferred hotel companies in China. We stayed at Guilin and Xian properties in the past month as well with our family of 5 plus a nanny. The Harbin property is a bit old and the rooms are smaller than average. Also, they have very few connecting rooms. Our driver told us that they are building a really big new Shangri-La in Harbin near Sun Island.

Miss Fiona Wu greeted us on arrival and provided plenty of recommendations and assistance. She is EXCEPTIONALl! Limo driver and Concierge Manager were also exceptional.

During our stay, we had the same driver pick us up at the airport, drive us to Ice World, Sun Island Snow Park, Siberian Tiger Park, St. Sofia church, downtown shopping district, and back to the airport. He was great.

Had a quick dinner in the cafe and told the restaurant that we were in a hurry. They delivered our food very quickly. Breakfast was pretty good. The cafe is not as nice and big as a major city Shangri-La buffet restaurants, but good variety. The cafe was very crowded due to the peak season weekend. They were so busy that they made some tables communal tables. That was a turn-off.

GREAT DINING EXPERIENCE: Fiona booked dinner for us at their Ice Palace restaurant. The entire restaurant was made of ice. Great hotpot dinner and such a fun experience for our family. Note: It was really cold in there.

GREAT SERVICE EXPERIENCE: After checking out, we realized that our son left an inexpensive toy behind in the room. It was not worth turning around for so we used it to teach our son a lesson about keeping an eye on his toys. Halfway to the airport, our driver received a call from Fiona saying that Housekeeping found a toy in the room and that they had another limo departing shortly for the airport and that they would send it with the other driver. We told them that it wasn't necessary, but they said that they would still try to get it to us. Their airport staff found us at the check-in counter and delivered the toy to us.

Room Tip: Very hard to get connecting rooms and rooms are on the small side. Due to the peak season, no rooms...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel service was great from the start. We checked in actually in our room, where the girl booked our tickets for the ice & snow festivals.
The staff were always helpful in getting taxis and explaining where we were headed etc

Breakfast was good, Ice Palace was nice for a drink only, not sure wearing coats and gloves for dinner would be comfortable.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Shanghai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

To put my review into perspective, I have stayed at several Shangri-La's and competitive hotels such as the Intercontinental across China and Asia. The Harbin Shangri-La was by far the worst. This is not a case of being the worst within a strong set of luxury hotels. This hotel won't even make that elite group of hotels. They are, at best, a good mid-range hotel.

Club Floor is a Rip-off: We splurged and stayed on the Club floor. However, the lounge was small and had only a few seating areas. Many people walked in and out because there was no room to sit. Refreshments were meager, cookies and soda. Everything else needed to be ordered. At the Intercontinental and even Crowne Plaza (Intercon's mid-level brand), several dishes are available until 9pm or so including free wine and beer. But not here. The breakfast in the lounge has a fraction of available choices as compared with the main breakfast downstairs. And the a la carte items took 30 minutes or more.

Main Restaurant: Because we are not big eaters, we ordered a la carte for dinner. This seems to have thrown the staff into a tizzy and it was clear that they wanted us to order the buffet. When the food was served, the meals arrived over a period of 30 minutes. To add to the frustration, a few of the adults got their food first. This meant the kids had to watch their parents eat. Big hospitality mistake, Shangri-La! My meal arrived last after everyone had finished eating. The waitress was super apologetic and at the end even offered me the buffet for free. The problem s the kitchen because she kept rushing in and then told me the chef was too busy with other people's food, even though my order was an hour old! And the food was not worth waiting for, a euphemism for average.

Check-out: This really pissed me off. I was asked if I wanted to pay in RMB or USD. When I inquired about the exchange rates, the clerk was baffled but did oblige. Turns out they were charging 5.80 per USD while the rate at any Bank of China branch is 6.20 (I live in China so I exchange money a lot so I know what I am talking about). On my bill this would have resulted in a bill $75 higher.

Rooms: Very, very small for an up-market brand. But the hotel did honor our request for adjoining rooms.

Lobby Restaurant: Shangri-La charged more for some items than was listed on the menu. When I called them on it they gave me sob story how prices were changed but had not yet been reflected in the menus. While they did reimburse me the difference they seemed not to grasp that this sort of thing should never happen at a 5-star brand.

Employees: Some of them freaked me out because of their overcooked courtesy. The smiles were too big, too frequent, and the eyes did not show the same emotion. I suspect that the Shangri-La training program said, "Smile a lot because foreigners like that." Not at all genuine!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DHWShanghai
MichelleMao, Public Relations Manager at Shangri-La Hotel Harbin, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thanks for your comments DHWShanghai. Your opinions are very important to us. We are following up the issues you mentioned and making effort to improve our service. If you want to give us more details, please email me directly at michelle.mao@shangri-la.com. Have a nice day.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

This Shangri-La will be turned into a Traders. They are building a new Shangri-La across the river. I guess they realized how bad this one can be.

First off, it's China and you're gong to deal with a lot of random personal space invasion. The staff go above and beyond being courteous. There's been times where I've never met a person but they greet me with my name. Now I know greeting someone with their name in the hotel business is standard, but not when you've never met that person. It's just creepy.

Room service will just barge into your room whether you have your Do Not Disturb light on. Then they will call 4 times if you have the lock on the door so they can't come in. Then they will knock one more time and slide 50 million pieces of paper under your door. So if you're going to be naked or want some private time just get used to putting the lock on the door every time you walk in.

Food in the place is average. They like to put onions in everything. Definitely not a standard Shangri-La cooks. Breakfast is pretty good though.

I'd say the one saving grace of this place is the rooms are pretty nice. There are a few staff members that go out of their way to help you out, and there's others that just are an annoyance every time you step off the elevator.

Don't know how much company pays for the room, so I can't really state the value. I'd pay maybe 100-120 a night for a room here.

They will sometimes do massive construction in random parts of the year. When they do expect to get barely any sleep because they work non-stop.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank um0k1e
Thanks for your comments um0k1e. Guests' experience are our prior concern. Your suggetions will be considered seriously in our staff training. If you want to give more details, please feel free to email me at michelle.mao@shangri-la.com. Thanks again and best wishes.