“The service is fantastic!”

Holiday Inn City Centre Harbin
Ranked #5 of 1,166 Hotels in Harbin
Reviewed August 30, 2010

I like the service of this hotel very much. The Reception is extremly excellent! The speed of my check-in is very fast and they tried to satisfied my request because I need a non-smoking and quiet room. And the hotel is very very nice though it's a little old but never mind.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 23, 2010

I arrive in Harbin on 14 August on 7 AM. This girl (didn't read her name, she has shoulder length hair, doesn't wear glass, didn't tie her hair in any way), was very rude, unsmiling and rudely she took my reservation paper and told me something incomprehensible in English.

Later she told my partner that my room is unavailable. I was okay with this as hotel check in time is usually around noon, however NO INFORMATION was given to us on when we can check in. She simply said "WAIT". Thus we waited for few hours until around 10 we HAD to ask again if we can check in. No effort has been made to inform us that the room was ready. We checked in at 10 AM, we had to ask again. Here comes surprise #2

However the surly-rude girl mistakenly or deliberately put us in SMOKING ROOM WITHOUT informing us. We only realized this late at night when there was smell of smoke coming from our neighbor. We complained to the night shift staffs who were all smiling and helpful and we were moved to non-smoking rooms.

Surprise number 3, we booked an executive club room, whatever that means but we had never been informed of our club room benefits or anything, not that I saw any club room lounge either!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I came to Harbin for the Ice Festival. I had hired a guide who met me on the train and took me to the hotel. The hotel had everything I needed, check in was quick, it was clean and warm.

Although a bit old, I was very happy I stayed here.
Staff who didn't speak English would try and assist or take me to English speaking staff. I was well treated by the staff and no problems with pointing and smiling.

The main Ice Festival site is a fair way out of town and my guide had arranged transport so I didn't have to deal with the taxies. Be aware it is bitterly cold during the ice festival, minus 17 during the day when I was there. Even colder at night.

The road traffic is absolutely mad, I just joined the locals and stayed in the middle of the to get across the road.

I spent most of my time out exploring arriving back late at night. The restaurant was open and after the first night I was recognised and they brought my sprite to me without having to ask. Good food to recharge for the next day's exploring.

The room wasn't too hot, clean, quiet and I slept well.

I will happily stay here again when I return.

Harbin during the Ice Festival is a must see. Walk down the main mall opposite the hotel and see the shops, ice sculptures in the street and a fantastic light show in the evening.

Walk all the way down to the frozen lake, it is a great walk both day and night. A few Russian stores and lots of upmarket stores.

Also visit Unit 731 just to the south of town, a tragic area where the Japanese did horrible experiments on the Chinese people during their occupation of Manchuria in the 1930s-1945. Whilst a sad place it needs to be seen so that it does not fade from memory.

The Holiday Inn Harbin, whilst a bit old is very adequate place to stay. It is safe and centrally located to everything. Upon departure the check out procedure was very quick and the taxi to the airport was about 100CNY.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2010

The hotel was nice with a so-so live band and a nice breakfast. The real problem was that the concierge recommended we take the free shuttle or else we might not get a taxi back from sun island. We said the timing was not convenient and he pushed the shuttle a bit or said we could take a taxi but they would be expensive - several hundred RMB per day. We had the number of the taxi driver that took us in from the airport and he recommended getting a taxi for the day as well so we phoned him. As it turns out, there are tons of taxis lined up all waiting to take people back from sun island - the concierge was just convince us that the free shuttle would be far better by giving an alternative (the expensive taxi) that we would not go for so that he'd get his small kickback.

Other than that the hotel was quite nice and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2010

We found this hotel to be excellent. Service was great at breakfast time. Breakfast was very good with very many choices. It was close to facilities and the 'walking street'. Some people have said that the heating in the rooms was too high - well there is provision to turn it off which we did and found that we were able to have very pleasant and comfortable sleeps. Taxis are plentiful. Most people are so very helpful. The Ice and Snow Festival is a must to visit.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank PatriciaMcL
Reviewed January 8, 2010

I stayed here for two nights (January 6 - 7, 2010) to attend the opening of the Winter Ice Festival in Harbin. The ice festival is the cities largest event of the year and is a sight not to be missed. During this period all hotels in town tend to run very high levels of occupancy. Due to my airline using other Intercontinental properties (the parent company of Holiday Inn) I was able to get a travel industry rate of RMB385 or about USD60 per night nett and included ABF—a very good deal considering the high season/special events period.

Harbin is the largest city in the northern region and is the capital seat of the Heilongjiang Province. Due to the history you’ll notice a fairly strong Russian influence and even today there is a large number of Russian restaurants, bars and businesses.

The Holiday Inn (HI) is located at a fairly busy five-way intersection and is at one end of the famous Zhongyang Dajie, or Center Street. This is more than mile long stretch of cobblestone-lined street that is pedestrian-only access. There are several streets that intersect it and allow crossing vehicle traffic, but Center Street itself is a pedestrian-only street. There are a number of large shopping centers, small and medium sized restaurants and shops, several commercial banks, a Wal-mart and the Harbin branch of Parkson Department Store- the largest department store operator in China.

Lobby / Check-in: This hotel is a smaller property, and shows minor signs of its age. The check-in area is small but was efficiently run. I was given the choice of a “larger” room, but on a lower floor, or a “smaller” room on a higher floor—I chose the higher floor room.

Room: My room was on the 11th floor and faced north with a nice view of Center street and the Songhua River in the background. The bed was a twin sized and was firm. The sheets were standard thread count and there was an extra-think duvet and extra top blanket provided- I was sufficiently warm at night. The windows to the room were double insulated to help keep out the bitter Harbin winter cold which can easily drop to -25°F or worse. My room also had a small desk with old-style tube TV with multiple Chinese and Russian language channels and a limited number of English options. There was internet access capability for additional charge. There was a hot water heater with tea set provided and a mini-bar with limited stock. The room temperature could be controlled within a pre-set range. The ability to increase the heat was nice as it’s bitterly cold during the winter months.

Bathroom: Like the bedroom, the bathroom was small and showing its age. There was a stand-up shower and the water ran quite hot and with decent water pressure. HI-branded basic toiletries were provided. There was no hair dryer or bath robe.

Despite the age of the room, everything was well cleaned and was in proper working order.

Hotel facilities and Amenities: The HI has one traditional sit-down in-house restaurant that serves Western/International as well as Chinese food and is open for all three sittings. They do feature buffet dining as well as ala carte ordering. A limited-menu room service is available during most hours. There is also a small lobby bar where drinks and light food can be ordered. There are a few western dining locations as well as a KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) and McDonald’s within a short walk from the hotel. Center street has many other dining options as well (Chinese, Russian, Thai, etc.)

The business center can arrange for basic business services such as copy/print/fax as well as Chinese translation services, and is also a state-approved foreign exchange location. The front desk can arrange for local transportation, car hire and airport transfers.

SUMMARY: If you can get a discounted rate this hotel can be a very good value for reliable western accommodations. It’s not a 5-star property by any measure, but isn’t priced like one either. It does have an excellent location and many of Harbin’s major attractions are within easy walking distance. The property looks to be from the mid to late ‘80’s and is in need of a general ‘face-lift’ but isn’t in disrepair. The staff is helpful and did their best to assist me as necessary.

PROS: Dependable western accommodations in town that doesn’t have many. Good centralized location. Good restaurant that features a nice small dinner buffet. Overall, reasonably priced for mid-tier western-style accommodations.

CONS: An older property that doesn’t have lots of the amenities that newer hotels have and is showing signs of its age and needs a general “face lift”.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo