Holiday Inn City Centre Harbin
$119
Hotels.com
Great 4.5/5
Home Inn Harbin Sophia Church(Harbin)(Great Value!)
$17
      • Pool
      $59
      • Breakfast included
      Very Good 4/5
        All reviewswalking streetgreat locationthe riverice festivalstaying experienceexecutive floorsun islanddecent englishdecent optionalmost hoursplenty to eatopening hourssign languageenglish pubstaff speak little englishsouth endbreakfast buffet
        FilterAll languages
        Reviewed June 24, 2012

This was my second time at this hotel in the last 3 years and I must say that the service, while still okay, is not quite as helpful as it used to be. It is a typical Holiday Inn, the rooms are nothing exceptional but they do the trick with the standard satellite TV, mini-bar, good bed and linens. However, the carpet is really showing its age.
        Just a couple of tips for those booking here: to get to the main tourist street, even though its entrance is almost directly across from the hotel, a better plan is to go out of the hotel and walk to the left for 1 block where you will see a pedestrian crosswalk with a proper traffic light that drivers actually obey. It's worth the extra 5-7 minutes of walking time to do it this way rather than dodging traffic at the uncontrolled crosswalk in front of the hotel. As for breakfast, you are likely better off ordering the American breakfast for 70 RMB than going for the buffet for 98 RMB, unless you are particularly hungry or like Chinese food in the morning. Just have a look on the paper placemats that serve as a menu before you decide. It must be said that if you have the time, it could be better to go out. The restaurant with its very worn carpet and chair covers is seriously lacking in appeal and the food is only so-so.
        Overall, as long as you are prepared for a typical Holiday Inn, it's worth staying here for the location.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the street. The back ones have a terrible view.
        • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
        2  Thank Tivah
        Reviewed June 20, 2012

I heard may good stories from friends about this hotel, friends who have stayed in the hotel for many month at a time, but this was in the past:

Hotel is about a 45 min drive away from the airport. Location is in the city center and it is easy to reach.

Rooms are small, at least the one I had. There is no space for a sofa or chair. Only a working chair is inside and you can barely move it, as it is locked between the desk and the bed.

Bathroom is so small, that your knees nearly touch the wall, when sitting on the toilet. There is a walk in shower, and again, if the door is open, you can barely dry yourself

Beds are comfortable.

TV has CNN, BBC, DW and HBO (I think) quite good actually.

Electric plugs are next to the bed and at the desk - actually good.

Internet is lousy. It is LAN based and works only sometimes. Although it is free of charge it is no use. First time in China for me that Skype was barely working. Forget FaceTime or the VPN. Really lousy. Took me what felt like 2 or 3 hours to get a 5 mb email. Yes, it is enough for surfing and getting some news stories, but really, you expect more from a 4 or 5 Star Holiday Inn Hotel. On the second day it stopped working in the evening.

Breakfast is limited and the cheese looked like a brick - you did not want to touch it.
        Staff had to be reminded to fill up the orange juice at the juice dispenser.

Check in was unfriendly. I booked through a travel agent. When checking in, they told me that my Gold Priority Status did not matter, as I booked through a travel agent, hence no points, no welcome drink etc etc. They just laughed and through the PC card back into my direction. They really made you feel welcome!

I had some laundry and the front office girl did not speak any English, I had to explain in Chinese that someone please goes to my room and pick it up.

My room is on a low floor and faced the inside. I could only see a dirty roof, hence I kept the curtains close the whole time.

There is potential in this hotel, but the staff really did their best, so that I can only give a "poor" rating.

The hotel is not cheap, actually much more than the average Chinese city, nearly 4 digits in RMB, way to much. If I had really considered the price, I should have given a "terrible" rating.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
        2  Thank yogimo
        Reviewed May 29, 2012

Yes, location across from the main tourist street (Zhongyang Dajie) is an advantage, though crossing the street without stoplights is a challenge. China Merchants Bank on Zhongyang Dajie and viewable from hotel entrance has 24 hour ATM which accepts foreign ATM cards. Front staff quite pleasant, helpful and a couple of them could speak reasonable English. Room design was fine, but window was very dirty and there was a smell coming from the ventilation in the bathroom that was bothersome, as if it were some chemical. After having breakfast there one morning, we decided to eat elsewhere afterwards. Short walks away are major shopping centers, dumpling restaurant (Oriental Dumpling) and an excellent coffee shop/bakery near that, excellent, but not cheap, hot pot restaurant (Ding Ding Xiang), St. Sophia church and new synagogue with excellent collection of photos of early 20th century life in Harbin. Also not to be missed are the local dancers who exercise/dance at a small square at dusk near Hotel Modern.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
        candie_zhang, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn City Centre Harbin, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2012

We know that a great hotel always endeavors to improve its service, and with this in mind we greatly appreciate your feedback. Your comments will help us to ensure ongoing satisfaction for you and your friends when they stay in the future.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

Was in Harbin for business from Apr 19-21. Hotel is a bit on the older side and was still doing some renovations at the time of my stay. Thankfully I said in one of the newly renovated (but not completely renovated) rooms which was decent, you could tell that they did keep some of the old amenities (specifically the bed).

The front desk and concierge could use a lesson in customer service. One of my biggest pet peeves is lack of friendly customer service. I was the only guest waiting to be checked-in and all I see are the front desk girls chit-chatting off to the side completely oblivious that they are on the clock. Instead of just letting it go, I decided to say something to them. They apologized and upgraded my room.

Location of the hotel is great! If you like to shop, right accross is the "walking street" where you can find all sorts of shops, bars, restaurants, and bakeries. Its beautiful at night too! Reminiscent of old Russia, if you walk to the end theres a great view of the river where you can find street performers and people selling all sorts of gagets.Overall this good hotel, clean, lots of restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
        candie_zhang, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn City Centre Harbin, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2012

May I personally thanks you for taking up your time and patience to communicate to us through the tripadvisor website.

I am most concerned that you are not satisfied with some of our products. The specific matters you pointed out to us in regards to reception service which have been discussed with the department head concerned, so that more care will be taken and the staff trained accordingly, in particular with, following the standard strictly at all times.

I hope that you would treat the unfortunate experience you had as an exception rather than the norm. I will be the first to admit that keeping things in order logistically and consistency in service are still a challenge in Harbin. I therefore appreciate you taking your time to communicate to us for it is through guest like you that we can correct our shortcoming and continuously improve ourselves to strive for better customer services.

Thanks again and hope to have you here in the future.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

I stayed here for 7 days for work and was very impressed. I was on the 14th floor and the rooms were excellent. There was a noisy group in a room near me and when i phoned to complain at midnight the staff acted very quickly . However my boss stayed in an Executive Sute which was very tired and needing refurbishment - ask to stay in the refurbed rooms for sure

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business

I was very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us. Although it is our basic principle to offer the best of everything, it is often reassuring to hear it directly from our guests.