“Good place for poor students” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Harbin Russia International Youth Hostel
Ranked #11 of 126 Specialty Lodging in Harbin
Sélestat, France
“Good place for poor students”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

I spent 2 nights in this hostel during the Ice Festival. I stayed there with 2 friends, so we had a 3-bed room with bathroom. I'm really happy we had our own bathroom because the common one seemed really dirty and smelled really bad. The service was ok; they could smile more, that wouldn't hurt. I appreciated the good heating, even though it was actually a bit overheated, but that's not something to complain about when it's -20°C outside.
Our bathroom was nice, although the hot water had little issues sometimes. The beds were comfortable - I like the really hard Chinese beds. The rooms could use some more light at night, it kind of felt like being in a strip club.
The location is really good, in the centre of town, and pretty easy to find. The hostel doesn't provide breakfast but there are lots of little shops and restaurants around it where you can get good Chinese snacks - huge bags of peanuts and popcorns for 10kuai, sweet " bread " kind of things for 1kuai. You can also buy Russian chocolate at the hostel.
Overall, it's a good hostel to stay in if you are a student and have little money to spend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Shenyang, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

I went to Harbin in a group of four travellers and saw this hostel online. The photos attracted us to stay there. I could not find a contact number anywhere on the internet so we arrived at the hostel without a reservation, we chose not to book online. Don't take the reviews lightly, the service is the WORST I have seen in China!
Firstly, the receptionist was not welcoming at all. He appeared irritated by our request to get a room together (we were a mixed group). The room we looked at was clean although the bathroom had the typical sewage odour problem. Eventually we opted for a triple room and a dorm bed.
In the process of checking in, he asked for our passports. One of the group members was travelling with a photo-copy since her passport was away for immigration purposes. Apparantly the receptionist needed copies of our Chinese residence permits and she did not have hers. She explained she could easily show him the permit online but he refused to accept that as a means of verification (how backward!). He became so enraged that he began to shout at us and asked one of the workers to throw our stuff out. After that we refused to stay there and immediately grabbed our bags and left.
We will never return to that place again and hope you never make the same mistake we did! The location is not so good anyways, unless you're the kind that enjoys walks in the cold til your toes freeze off or have the cash to squander on cab service!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! trust the reviews!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Harbin hotels

Suzhou, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Pros:The place has a great atmosphere!.. The staff speaks English and can help you with a lot of useful information, they also sell tickets to some attractions.
It's relatively close to almost all major attractions in harbin, 15 ys to the ice and snow world.
They had wifi in the rooms for free which was awesome
Cons: the room was too warm.. It's floor heated so we had no control over it

• Stayed January 2013
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Hostel is ok and clean enough, certainly good enough for a one night stay for an ice festival visit.

Bit disappointed with the service when we checked out, where by they checked our sheets then brought one set to reception to confront us. Not one, not two but three, yes three tiny chocolate stains. Who on earth do we think we are!

The chocolate stains were certainly there, no mistake, however, through the normal wash process would come out, so where's the problem? Unless they don't wash the sheets for every customer.

Before they would return our deposit we must scrub out the tiny little chocolate stains with our tiny little hands and the supplied cold water and tiny little bar of soap. Did I mention in the toilet infront of all the other toilet going 'guests'.

All this palava in front of other customers, it's not like we had defecated the bed.

Is cleaning the sheets not their job?

As they say in China 太麻烦!

Won't be back.

• Stayed January 2013
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I was in Harbin for the ice festival and stayed here early in the year. I checked in really late around 1 or 2am. The doors were locked and no one was to be found. I had to call the reception a few times before someone answered. I emailed to let them know I was arriving late at time of booking but I regret not confirming on the day. Luckily my taxi driver waited with me until the receptionist opened the door.

I booked a dorm room and found it really crammed with only enough room for a person to walk between the 2 bunks. Not that a person could walk because there was luggage on the floor. After seeing that, I decided there was no way I could stay 3 nights like this so I went to change to a twin room. The twin room was much bigger than the dorm and had an ensuite. The ensuite had a bad smell so the bathroom door had to be kept closed. My room didn't have a tv but I had wifi.

The location is close to main attractions and I walked to most places. My stay was quite comfortable in the end.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Rooshoo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed one night here, easy enough to get to by bus, except that we chose to walk and got muddled by all the unsigned streets! Close to all main sights and Zhong Yang Da Jie (main pedestrian street) and the Song Hua river. Stayed in standard twin room with ensuite, room was furnished with armchairs and beds and even a huge tv, couldn't ask for more! Even though it was -20 degrees outside, the rooms were comfortably heated. Limited hot water, but unless you love really long showers shouldn't be a problem.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Russia International Youth Hostel was fairly easy to find, getting a taxi from the Railway Station and showing the name of the place in Mandarin we had written for us to the driver.

The place is adequately decorated and the price was reasonable at Y140 for a double room. The Chinese girl behind the desk was a great help, giving us information about the area, the Ice and Snow Festival and providing us with a map. She also printed off our onward flight tickets and wouldn't take any Yuan for it.

Unfortunately i have to agree with Vladd K K's review left previously in that there is a foul smell in the lobby. I don't know if it was the litter tray as the smell was on the first floor too. Luckily for me, I had a room on floor 2 so this didn't bother me too much.

The room is well equipped with LCD TV, comfortable bed, underfloor heating and a nice shower room. I too though suffered problems with the temperature of the water, it either turning boiling hot or ice cold. The underfloor heating too, (a nice touch and unexpected) needs an off switch as it was like a sauna at certain points throughout the night.

I had to keep the bathroom door closed too as the smell from the toilet/drain was terrible.

If the problem of the smell was corrected I would recommend, if not I would say only stay for a few days at the most.

On a separate note, Harbin is a fantastic place to visit...

Room Tip: The higher floors are away from the smelly lobby but you have to tackle the stairs. Take your pick!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple