Harbin Russia International Youth Hostel
Ranked #12 of 134 Specialty Lodging in Harbin
“Ok”
Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

I was in Harbin for the ice festival and stayed here early in the year. I checked in really late around 1 or 2am. The doors were locked and no one was to be found. I had to call the reception a few times before someone answered. I emailed to let them know I was arriving late at time of booking but I regret not confirming on the day. Luckily my taxi driver waited with me until the receptionist opened the door.

I booked a dorm room and found it really crammed with only enough room for a person to walk between the 2 bunks. Not that a person could walk because there was luggage on the floor. After seeing that, I decided there was no way I could stay 3 nights like this so I went to change to a twin room. The twin room was much bigger than the dorm and had an ensuite. The ensuite had a bad smell so the bathroom door had to be kept closed. My room didn't have a tv but I had wifi.

The location is close to main attractions and I walked to most places. My stay was quite comfortable in the end.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Rooshoo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Stayed one night here, easy enough to get to by bus, except that we chose to walk and got muddled by all the unsigned streets! Close to all main sights and Zhong Yang Da Jie (main pedestrian street) and the Song Hua river. Stayed in standard twin room with ensuite, room was furnished with armchairs and beds and even a huge tv, couldn't ask for more! Even though it was -20 degrees outside, the rooms were comfortably heated. Limited hot water, but unless you love really long showers shouldn't be a problem.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Russia International Youth Hostel was fairly easy to find, getting a taxi from the Railway Station and showing the name of the place in Mandarin we had written for us to the driver.

The place is adequately decorated and the price was reasonable at Y140 for a double room. The Chinese girl behind the desk was a great help, giving us information about the area, the Ice and Snow Festival and providing us with a map. She also printed off our onward flight tickets and wouldn't take any Yuan for it.

Unfortunately i have to agree with Vladd K K's review left previously in that there is a foul smell in the lobby. I don't know if it was the litter tray as the smell was on the first floor too. Luckily for me, I had a room on floor 2 so this didn't bother me too much.

The room is well equipped with LCD TV, comfortable bed, underfloor heating and a nice shower room. I too though suffered problems with the temperature of the water, it either turning boiling hot or ice cold. The underfloor heating too, (a nice touch and unexpected) needs an off switch as it was like a sauna at certain points throughout the night.

I had to keep the bathroom door closed too as the smell from the toilet/drain was terrible.

If the problem of the smell was corrected I would recommend, if not I would say only stay for a few days at the most.

On a separate note, Harbin is a fantastic place to visit...

Room Tip: The higher floors are away from the smelly lobby but you have to tackle the stairs. Take your pick!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Beijing, China
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Let's start with the positive things:

Decent decor, clean beds, decent location, friendly staff.

However important these things seem, a good smell (or no bad smell) is more important still. This was perhaps the worst smelling hotel I have been in.

I'm not sure if this has to do with the cat(s) and liter boxes that are placed adjacent to the lobby, or the public bathrooms (not sure, never went, since we stayed in a single room). All I know is that the stench invaded every room in the hotel. The first floor was especially affected, where there is a lobby. What would otherwise be considered as an acceptable area for leisure and recuperation from Harbin's freezing winter temperatures, with a few tables and amusing russian decor (you can see by the pictures), was rendered totally useless. I found myself looking for coffee shops where I could read or work on my computer (rooms a bit small and dark, so can't read there.)

Another interesting thing is that the bathrooms smelled horrible in every room. The smell of urine would travel up the pipes, I'm guessing that this has something to do with the cold weather but I am not sure. They must take measures to handle this problem.

Another thing, the rooms where too hot, and taking a shower was very difficult because the temperature changes in the water. (Sometimes freezing, sometimes scalding hot.)

During a week-long stay, the trash wasn't taken out once! As I'm writing this, I see a large pile of trash in my room.

Then, they ran out of towels and cups a few times, which is annoying. (But it's a hostel, so didn't bother me much.)

I wasn't expecting the Waldorf Astoria here, but neither was I expecting a filthy cat den. What's shocking is that the employees would actually sleep in the lobby (curled up on the sofas like cats of course), and they still don't move the litter box!

I give this place 2 stars instead of 1 because everything was fine except the stench and temperature control problems, both of which are extremely important things that we usually take for granted. To end on an up side, the employees are really nice and friendly, and we still had a fantastic time in Harbin.

Room Tip: The higher the better, away from the foul-smelling lobby
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Vlad K K

Travelers are raving about these Harbin hotels