“Terrible service, terrible food”
Review of Tatoc

Tatoc
Ranked #293 of 743 Restaurants in Harbin
Cuisines: Russian
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We couldn't access the internet from the Hotel Ibis where we were staying so we didn't have the chance to properly research this place. Wish we had.

PROS: The Ribs were good
Shaun The waiter spoke excellent English
Fun Decor

CONS
Terrible Food except the ribs
Terrible infighting between owner and server...petty stuff, the owner took away our waiter's pen, refused to give our waiter bread for our table (we saw all of this happening), and then refused our waiter's request that the stew be taken to the kitchen and kept warm while we ate our starter.
Terrible bathrooms. They desperately needed cleaning.

We were hoping we had stumbled on to a treasure and were so excited that we were at a restaurant which opened in 1901. But the history is the best thing about TATOC..everything else is a disappointment.

Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

The entrance of the restaurant seems cozy so we decided to have our dinner here. We order one of the most expansive set meal for about 496 rmb for 2 people and 480 ml of blueberry wine for 120 rmb. The set meal consist of Borsch, caviar, bread, steak, salad, dessert, fish, prawns and a pot of mushroom stew. The soup and caviar were fine, bread was cold, steak had too much tenderizer that it does not taste like beef, fish fillet was not done well and looks like harsh brown to me. Salad, prawns and mushroom stew taste average. Blueberry wine taste like vinegar. The best dish was the dessert, a chocolate mousse cake. The service was bad, staff take ages to respond and serve water. We had to ask several times for menu and water.

1  Thank Fionanss
Reviewed November 7, 2013

I'm also from China's Northeast, but I have little knowledge about real Russian dishes. Tatos firstly attracted me and my family was its front image and inner decoration. We felt we were brought back to a century ago in a restaurant just set up by some Russian explorers in this far east city. Everything looked old and vintage, including the dim lights and air. I liked the air. About the food, I can't judge so much because I don't know what real Russian foods are, but I can say they are quite delicious. That's enough for a tourist I suppose. The Russian brand beer was nice. I have a good taste about beers and this beer was nice with strong flavor of hops, very different with German hops. Taste is closer to Chinese beer, and far from German weissbier. I recommend the 8 degree version. But they only have canned beer, no draft.
The price was quite high for food themselves. But consider the general feeling we got, the price could still convince us.

Reviewed August 2, 2013

we celebrated the NY party there, it was amazig, people all around the world were there, and wewas dancing all together there, congratulating and drinking wine!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

TATOC was actually recommended by a colleague so we thought we'd give a whirl. What a disappointment! Although it looks quite pretty on the surface, with its faux decor oozing a comfy style, it hasn't got it where it counts. Both the food and the service leave a lot to be desired.
Three of us decided to share a set meal for two. With drinks it came to about 150¥ each. Not very good value for money. I can't actually remember eating anywhere in China where I've had to pay for a glass of water before. That aside, the service was haphazard - dishes coming at odd intervals, inability to deal with minor problems etc. but it was the quality of the food itself which I found most unsatisfactory. Some of it arrived piping hot but a lot of it was lukewarm, as if it had been cooked up in a batch beforehand and then left out to await an order. The meats had rather too much fat and gristle for my liking, vegetables were overcooked rarities hiding at the bottom of dishes or limp salads overly dressed with synthetic squeeze. We were looking forward to the mashed potatoes that were to accompany the steaks but when they arrived it turned out to be 'nouvelle' in the extreme - a portion amounting to about three teaspoons. Dessert was meant to be pears in red wine and slices of chocolate cake - what we actually got (on a single side-plate) was six thin boiled pear slices and two egg-cup size Chinese-style sponge cakes with nasty shaving-cream style topping dribbled with something green-coloured and flecked with fake chocolate. Absolutely horrible! I later found out another colleague had been there and was served a sizzling dish of something freshly cooked that was accompanied by a dead cockroach on the side. Nice.
If there is actually any Russian involvement in this place then it was not in evidence when I visited and, generally speaking, this restaurant seems to go out of its way to confirm for the Chinese their ethnocentric belief in the superiority of their food and the inferiority of that of all other nations. With the exception of ourselves and a couple of tourists, however, the clientele appeared largely local, as were all the staff. Indeed, if there were any Russians lurking in the kitchen or the counting house they should be immediately deported for crimes against cuisine. In a word, yuk!

Been to Tatoc? Share your experiences!