“must visit place!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
St. Petersburg, Russia
“must visit place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

we celebrated the NY party there, it was amazig, people all around the world were there, and wewas dancing all together there, congratulating and drinking wine!

Beijing, China
“Mediocre at best.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

TATOC was actually recommended by a colleague so we thought we'd give a whirl. What a disappointment! Although it looks quite pretty on the surface, with its faux decor oozing a comfy style, it hasn't got it where it counts. Both the food and the service leave a lot to be desired.
Three of us decided to share a set meal for two. With drinks it came to about 150¥ each. Not very good value for money. I can't actually remember eating anywhere in China where I've had to pay for a glass of water before. That aside, the service was haphazard - dishes coming at odd intervals, inability to deal with minor problems etc. but it was the quality of the food itself which I found most unsatisfactory. Some of it arrived piping hot but a lot of it was lukewarm, as if it had been cooked up in a batch beforehand and then left out to await an order. The meats had rather too much fat and gristle for my liking, vegetables were overcooked rarities hiding at the bottom of dishes or limp salads overly dressed with synthetic squeeze. We were looking forward to the mashed potatoes that were to accompany the steaks but when they arrived it turned out to be 'nouvelle' in the extreme - a portion amounting to about three teaspoons. Dessert was meant to be pears in red wine and slices of chocolate cake - what we actually got (on a single side-plate) was six thin boiled pear slices and two egg-cup size Chinese-style sponge cakes with nasty shaving-cream style topping dribbled with something green-coloured and flecked with fake chocolate. Absolutely horrible! I later found out another colleague had been there and was served a sizzling dish of something freshly cooked that was accompanied by a dead cockroach on the side. Nice.
If there is actually any Russian involvement in this place then it was not in evidence when I visited and, generally speaking, this restaurant seems to go out of its way to confirm for the Chinese their ethnocentric belief in the superiority of their food and the inferiority of that of all other nations. With the exception of ourselves and a couple of tourists, however, the clientele appeared largely local, as were all the staff. Indeed, if there were any Russians lurking in the kitchen or the counting house they should be immediately deported for crimes against cuisine. In a word, yuk!

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Weihai, China
“Over a hundred years history? Why so bad?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

I've lived in China long enough to expect bad service, but REAL foreign restaurants usually know how to cater to foreigners, and considering it says it's over a hundred years old I expected better.

They brough out the meals eratically despite a fairly simple order of a starter and main course each. My main course arrived within a minute of me ordering, then nothing arrive for 15 minutes. Soups arrived miles apart. Ok, so all of this is normal in tacky "western food" restaurants, but having eatern in a few russian restaurants in Beijing, where the service was wonderful, maybe I expected too much.

As for the food, the soup was nice. Evertying else, including Beef stew ( i was freezing and really liked the idea of a stew) baked vegetables and grilled pork, was really bad. I couldn't finish the stew and ended up eating elsewhere. I'm not a great cook but I could have done all those dishes better myself.
Do not go here, Katusha's is a much better Russian restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ramonica
“european food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

The mushrooms cream was very tasty also the lamb ribs. I would advise not to try the pizza, it is a russian restaurant after all.

“Refused service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

We went to Tatos for dessert and they refused to serve us unless we we all bought full meals. We arrived at around 10pm and there were no customers waiting. We left after being told we needed to purchase full dinners in addition to the desserts we actually came for.

Visited January 2013

Been to Tatoc? Share your experiences!