“Very Sad”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Very Sad”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

This is one experience I would like to foget.We were looking forward to this one as suggested by lonely plant and few other similar travel inmformatives.We went here for evening dinner, which we were super excited about . From outside the place looks appealing but once you enter you would feel not too impressed. It’s much smaller than what we thought. The whole set up looks like a home with a side kitchen. No clue why this place was so sad, but my observations 1. De-motivated and underpaid staff 2.no funds to run this shop anymore , only 2 menu cards they had for whole place 3. lack of originality in food. The food as such was not bad but this place is slow. Felt sorry for the staff here as I could feel things are not good here and they are not well trained. While we canceled one of the items in main dish, after 40 mines when we asked about other main dish; they quizzed ‘You asked to cancel all items..SURPRISED..no apology too. Even to pay for our starters we consumed waited 10 minutes and when asked again the staff told us payment is at counter not on table. Was surprised to see lot of people who came here but left as this place is too small to seat all or take care of many people at same time.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank davechinwan

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Spectacularly bad”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I never usually write reviews of restaurants on trip advisor, but this was so bad I have to. The place looks great (both outside and inside) but the food is overpriced and terrible. We seem to have had a similar experience to other people on trip advisor - half of the menu wasn't available, and the food that we ordered took a very long time to arrive. We also ordered some cheese which turned out to be plastic burger cheese that had been artfully cut into slices and arranged on a plate. I have no idea why this is recommended by lonely planet - avoid it at all costs!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank EusebiaRay
Shanghai, China
“Very rude waiter, food average, nice ambience”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

I never tried a Russian restaurant, so I'm happy I did, even though I can't say if it was real Russian food or not.
The ambience is really nice, but the waiter is very rude. Everyone who gets in, will get refused in the first place, he will just tell you, we are full go away, but if you don't mind waiting a bit you will get a table.
Food is really average, nothing is really good, but nothing is really bad as well, so if you don't expect too much and don't mind the service this restaurant is worth a try for the place.

• Visited February 2014
Shanghai, China
“Great food, service, and atmosphere”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

I cannot attest to the authenticity of the food at Russia Cafe, but I can tell you that everyone in my party had a delightful and delicious meal at this cute little cafe. Some of our favorite dishes were the beef & tomato soup, stuffed cabbages, and jugged beef, which were all very flavorful. In addition, the homemade Russian-style pickles were a surprise hit with our table as they were bursting with flavor. We also tried some cheap Russian vodka and it was quite smooth. All of this came at a reasonable price.

The cafe is one small, high-ceiling tearoom with some old furniture and dozens of old photographs on the walls. The front of the restaurant is covered in ivy. We thought it all quite cute.

When we were there, the cafe was completely full, but the waiter was nice and attentive, and we didn't have to wait long for our food.

Again, I don't know how authentic the food is, but we sure enjoyed Russia Cafe and I highly recommend it.

• Visited December 2013
“Russian cafe, Harbin”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Many mixed reviews about all the Russian restaurants on offer in Harbin central city around zhong yang da dao, Portman, Hua Mei .. Made it a difficult decision finding an authentic traditional Russian food.. No Russians at any of those restaurants on the night that we visited.
We ended up at Russian cafe simply because of several good reviews about the food and nostalgic deco.
The restaurant is on the Main Street next to KFC. Nice quaint deco with nostalgic historic pics on the wall. Service was friendly by an old waiter against many bad reviews about poor service.
The menu selection has a small selection of traditional dishes.
First order Beef and vegetable soup in an old iron pot. A little on the salty side for my southern taste buds.. but had a nice and rich broth 22rmb.
'Fried bag' which is a fried bread pocket with a minced lamb and herbs.... Bread is chewy and tasty. My partner liked this. 42rmb.
Smoked salmon was nice...58rmb
.. And another steamed cabbage lamb wrap... Looked like a traditional Russian dish but the translations wasn't correct.
Overall a cute little unpretentious cafe.. It seemed like a better place than the other venues we visited, friendly service, some nice simple dishes.. Without having ever been to Russia I can't vouch the authenticy or reference any dish.. Except that they were perfect escape from th -20 chilly weather during our Decemeber visit.
Including drinks bill total 263rmb for two