“My top 3 resort.”

Mandarin Oriental, Sanya
Ranked #4 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I'm someone who has high expectation. Esp for something we pay 500usd per night.
I stay at the plunge pool ocean front pavillion. The two bedroom villa was fully booked, so we stay next to each other with my family.

The booking was really hard. They hardly reply to our email. Ask for special promotion, the credit for F+B is helpfull. We need to fax or email the front and back of our credit card for security.

People do complain about their english here, I know my english aint that good, but at least we still can communicate. And I don't find a problem at all. You can't expect them to speak fluently like the american does. They're chinese. But hey, their service and their politeness and the way they remember you, your room no, and the way they try their best to please you, I never get this in any other places before.

The plunge pool pavillion has two floor, and the one staying at our second floor was sooo noisy, we need to close our balcony door at all time.

Buggy call was slow since the resort is very big and they're always busy esp at night, so we always do a lil walk, but it is nice, the weather, the pathway is clean, so if one of the buggy pass by we just jump in.

Breakfast was not that much, but people says that's the best in sanya? Yet it is high quality. I like the fact they make their juice freshly one by one, grill the bacon one by one as well. Breakfast staff at pavillion was fantastic.

The food menu price is not expensive. I mean it is price for a hotel food. 70rmb for a noodle. 200rmb for steak, I find it reasonable. I know there's a hotel who charge 50usd for a fried rice, and 20usd for a normal iced tea.

I went to the yiyang restaurant for dinner, and the staff hardly speak english, which is ok, because at least they tried, but we don't like the way she pour the tea, crossing infront of our face to reach the others cup. She should consider move closer to the other and pour the tea. We find it rude. Esp its should be their fine dining chinese restaurant. Food was great.

We went to the moBar for wine for the 1st night, there was a philipino singer joining in, they were great. But it become like as if its their own party.

We also went to the sunset bar, where we ordered a bottle of wine and a mango juice, and it never appear. But someone who sat beside me who just came, get his mango juice first than me. Then I asked them for that. They then make their mistakes by serving us a hot chocolate marsmallow fondue, which is appreciated. It was a nice one.

The guest relation staff, choi from korea is really friendly and helpfull. And so jerry from reception. The two concierge guy. All the buggy staff was top notch. I feel like I'm treated equally here.

The spa, I don't go there, since they never have a lot of space and its always fully book. So I send my mom and my dad, let them enjoy the facility. They go for foot massage. My mom love it so much, she says, the best massage she ever get. And she wanted to go for the full bodied massage. (She didn't since we don't have much time)
My dad hate it so much, the masseur was having flu, and can't give a good preasure for the massage, so during the 1hr, all he says is "please press harder". And yet she's still fail. My dad think its a ripp off and he canceled the chinese healing medicine appointment for the next day. Though he really have a bad backache. So my advice is, ask for the senior masseur.

I went to yalong bay as one of my city tour trip. And it was looks like so cheapo beach full of wannabes. So I'm happy with dadonghai beach. Enjoy the resort, enjoy the guests activities that they made for the guests and the kids.

I really regret spending many of my time for travelling and sight seeing in sanya. I'd rather stay in the hotel, enjoy the food and the facilities.

The hotel location is close to the shopping area, close to the food stalls, and its fun. You can grab a taxi to get back to the hotel by one 8rmb.

I don't have any idea if I would come back to sanya, but to mandarin oriental sanya, they made me think twice.

• Stayed: January 2012
6  Thank beautifulmatters

Reviewed December 26, 2011

If you'd like a resort with exquisite grounds where every 10 meters is a photo opp, has great food, wonderful rooms, multiple lovely pools and excellent service this is it. The hillside rooms, or sky villas if you'd like to get pricey, are the way to go- terrific views and a short walk through immaculately manicured grounds. The resort location certainly feels removed but is a reasonable walk, or complimentary shuttle ride, to Sanya. The breakfast buffet is outstanding. As other guests have noted there are better beaches and ocean swimming locations in Asia but what this resort offers more than makes up for it. We will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Hillside or sky villas
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TEEducator
Reviewed December 25, 2011

THis is actually in between 3 to 4 stars on the overall rating scale. The rooms are lovely- very big. Very nicely laid out with a very relaxed feel. Was there for a conference but it felt reasonably relaxed environment. This is China not Thailand or Cambodia, so don't expect stunning beaches- so the beach at Sanya is obviously a letdown. The Spa is lovely though- not cheap by any means- but deserves all the plaudits it gets. Definitely world-class spa (and I am a spa junkie). Food is decent- liked the breakfast. Service is what you would expect of a Mandarin- language barriers non-withstanding. All in all pretty good really- I generally like Mandarins, and this lives up to the standard. Wouldn't say that Sanya would be a first choice holiday destination for me given other choices in Asia- but not a bad place to spend a few days if you need somewhere within 90 minutes flight of HK.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank scalpel73
Reviewed November 21, 2011

I have visit mandarin oriental sanya in July for 3 days, i have booked a hillside roome with sea view. The room was perfect, unlike the other hotel in Sanya, the room was decorate in a tropical style and was really relax. the view was very good too.

The pool and the private beach was also superb. The pool have many different area and was really big, you can even play basketball in the pool! Although the beach was a little bit too small, but the water was very blue and they even provide special shoe for you if you went to swim to prevent your feet hurt by the stone.

The best things was the breakfast, usually i didn't have breakfast when i go for travel, but you really need to try the breakfast here, you won't be disappointed.

I will visit this hotel again when i back Sanya~

Room Tip: Th hotel was quite far away from the airport, and it is difficult to take a taxi there. It is better...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NG C
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We recently went to the Mandarin Oriental in Sanya, our second time in two years, and again we were not disappointed. We booked the two bedroom Sky Villa over looking the beach with its own pool and outdoor dining area and outdoor showers (children's favourite). The service as always for the Mandarin was perfect. The food choices were bountiful and diverse to please little peoples' tastes. The food at Yi Yang restaurant was fantastic. Because we booked the villa we had access to the Rock Lounge which was a mini version of everything the main hotel offered but away from the hustle and bustle. They served breakfast, afternoon tea, evening cocktails and were located a stones throw away from the villa. Otherwise, we took hotel buggies everywhere. On our second to last day we had an unexpected visitor as rather large monkey stole into our villa and left with all the bananas from our fruit bowl! The kids club was perfect for younger guests with large outdoor climbing frame and air conditioned inside with video games, television, pool table and lovely ayis who did an assortment of arts and crafts with the children. The swimming pools were also perfect for children with the sandy bottoms and array of toys, but strangely enough the large slides for the pool were not working which would disappoint the older children. A very enjoyable holiday otherwise. We shall be back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank FamilyHennessy
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Delicate hotel design, wonderful pool, great spa. Spending a vacation here is certainly fascinating and enchanting. The only handicap is the beach, it's ok to me but if you are a beach lover, you'd better choose a hotel in yalong bay. The children's sand pooI is great, I brought my 2-year-old son and he loved it so much.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Nefertari2009
Reviewed November 13, 2011

Having spent a month in Sanya I was looking for a place to have a decent English style breakfast. The Mandarin was recommended by a friend. I was not disappointed , perfectly cooked eggs , any style , and all the usual bits to go with them. An excellent selection of fresh fruit , juices and breads was also on hand.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business