“Great facility but the staff could do better”

Yalong Bay Golf Club
Yalong Bay Golf Club
Ranked #221 of 1,328 Hotels in Sanya
New Delhi, India
“Great facility but the staff could do better”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at the Yalong Bay Golf Club for 4 days on a business visit. While the property, rooms and facilities are impeccable - it is the staff that lets down the experience. During my visit, only the odd person could speak English. I had a very difficult time getting them to understand even the most basic of requests. I am not a golfer but the complimentary passes to the driving range were fun. The food was good too. But if the property wants to appeal to a wider international audience, it will have to train its staff. Also, the property is not on the beach, so one should keep that mind.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms that face the golf course.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ancona, Italy
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is not on the beach; as the name says, it faces a golf course. The location is very quiet.
Compared to other mega-resorts in Yalong Bay, this property is relatively smaller (only 4 floors).
Staff is friendly.
The beach is only a short walk away (around 250 m).
The hotel has a nice swimming pool, partly tiled and partly with natural white sand.
During our stay there were only few guests, therefore breakfast buffet was not available. Instead, we could choose a maximum of 9 drinks/dishes (some Chinese style, some Western style) among a menu with multiple selections. Food quality was good

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Singapore
Reviewed March 4, 2012

Played on a Sunday morning before coming home. The round is expensive about RMB$1300 and rental club R580 series at RMB$300. Shoes and groves I brought along my own. I was assigned a "golden caddie" and tee off at 7:05, 1st flight. Caddies to me was avg, not the best least not "golden". On our 6th hole we started to jam up with front flight, that's when I heard some of the ridiculous rules:1. some flight did tee off in front of us so they can squeeze more flight in, but we are the 1st flight so ???? (2) we saw 1 buggy goes to the fairway, ask why and reason is cos if 2 players take on 1 caddy instead of 2 the buggy can go on to fairway, another ??? (3) there was 2 players in my flight and when we reach 10th hole, another buggy drove up with a player and joined in! Can I say "no", another ??? (4) there was 1 hole not sure which one ? But the tee off right side is next to a row of 3 stories houses. I hook it left cos any slice will hit one of the windows. See the pic I post. The estate development cuts too ridiculously close to the course and it s just unbelievable. The caddie says it is very common to hit the balls into somebody house, another ???. I did not have a good finish and I wonder why, another ??? Only thing I like the scenery minus the houses around. Golfly yours!

• Stayed March 2012
Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Good value for the area. Good golf course and friendly staff

• Stayed October 2011
cologne
Reviewed August 1, 2011

This is a great place. We stayed as a couple for one night and felt very luxurious... Rooms are clean and comfortable, the pool is quiet and relaxed and the staff is very welcoming.
There is NO private beach at Yalong Bay but it is just a 10 minute walk to the beach and paying like 100 RMB for the day you will get two sun chairs, one umbrella and private towels of the Cheraton hotel e.g.

Definetily go there and enjoy a 5-star night.

We did not golf there but no need to, place is great anyhow

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We didn't stay here but played golf here. We enjoyed the course, although we would say it is just an average golf course. We have played at more beautiful courses elsewhere in Vietnam at less expensive fees. We enjoyed Sun Valley Golf course much better and better value for money. The Sun Valley course is Mountain course and much more challenging.

• Stayed July 2011
hong kong
Reviewed February 9, 2010

I travel a lot to Sanya for business I like it so much I have bought a property. Previously I have stayed at the Yalong Bay Golf Club on many occaisions. I have always found the course to be in great shape and the caddies first rate. Strangely enough it was Yalong Bay Golf Club who trained the caddies for the recent Sun Valley course. The couse is not too long but offers a challenge to golfers of all level. The rooms , recently refurbished , are excellent. The staff are friendly and efficient , as always in China there can be some communication problems but this is not a serious matter if taken with the correct attitude. I find it helps if you speak some of the local language , not too hard if you can be bothered to try. All in all this is a great place to play golf and relax.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business