“Dodgy staff members!”

Ranked #128 of 1,333 Hotels in Sanya
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Dodgy staff members!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Comfortable room and spacious. Nice and quiet environment. It's about 15 mins from the city centre. The staff service was terrible. We asked about finding a place for dinner but they said most restaurants were closed at by then (7.30pm) so they recommended a seafood area for us to go to (with hotel provided driver who charged at a reasonable rate). When we had arrived, the restaurant owner would take down the taxi driver's number plate so we believed that the hotel got some kind of commission for bringing us there. The food was disguisting and very expensive. We ordered a jug of juice, 4 dishes with rice and it cost us RMB650. We couldn't eat half the food that was served to us.

We then asked the taxi driver to take us into town which was booming with energy and had a large range of restaurants!! Prices were much more reasonable and there was a large selection of restaurant choices.

It's a good place to stay as long as you get your own information and don't trust the staff's recommendation. Breakfast selection was excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank krizchin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Beijing, Beijing, China
Reviewed June 20, 2012

1, Due to the promotion on a website, I booked a room with seaview. I arrived in the hotel on June 17 evening. After checking in, I went to the western restaurant for the dinner, which only cost me about RMB 40. However, the waiteress told me I could not sign the bill as I didn’t have any deposit. No way!!! I just checked in. I compained. She triple checked with the front desk and then told me it was OK.

2, The next morning, I was ready for breakfast. A waitresss told me I could not have western breakfast, better than the other option. I showed her my pass with a chop. She still followed me and said I could not do it. Out of disappointment, I asked her to call the manager, who came over only to find out it was, ONCE AGAIN, their mistake.

3,On June 20, I checked out and wanted to go to the railway station. I asked for a taxi. But the doorman said there is no taxi. He asked me whether I would take a hotel car(in fact, it is a just a black car, not registered taxi. A private car.) with about RMB 50. I said no. He then pretended to call for a taxi and basically tell me there was no taxi. I gave up and started to walk to the street. A taxi was there immediately. And it only cost me RMB 28.

To sum up, the services in this hotel are among the worst in Sanya. Though I got a very cheap deal, the services were even cheaper. So, it is not worth a stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel. There are plenty of choice out there.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank David Z
Reviewed April 9, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week. The resort has clearly seen it's best days, but fot his price band, it's quite good value for money. The room was OK otherwise but the bathroom was suffering of years without proper cleaning, and our AC didn't work properly. The breakfast buffet was poor (specifically for a vegetarian) and the staff don't really speak English. The barbecue at the beach bar was great, and the location is nice and quiet.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank TheSanski
Singapore
Reviewed November 12, 2011

One of the worst hotels I have stayed in. My bad experience in chronological order upon arrival are:

1. Upon arriving at the hotel by cab, the bell boy pulled only 1 of the 2 medium-sized luggages to the lobby while I had to pull my own.
2. The group of 3 bell boys directed us to the lift lobby instead of carrying our luggages to our rooms.
3. Small toilet, with bad urine smell. The towel needs replacement. The pillows smell really bad.
4. Safe deposit box in my room was not working and they could not fix it till about 6 hours later.
5. The LAN cable in my friend's room next door was not working and they claim there is nothing they could do.
6. The mini-bar in my room is locked and they refused to open it until I raised my temper at them after having to reason with them for 1 hour.
7. My mini-bar in my friend's room is completely empty and they refused to replenish the bar.
8. Hotel security kept trying to coerce us to take the hotel transport out to city instead of taking a cab. Told us we cannot board the cab in front of the hotel. The listed price shown to us was over RMB 100 while the trip by cab actually cost us only RMB 30.
9. Paid for my stay in full cash plus another RMB 800 deposit and yet they don't even allow me to sign for room service costing RMB 371.
10. Had late lunch at the Chinese restaurant and when we were the only table left, the aircon was turned off immediately.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank RobinL2011
ireland
Reviewed October 8, 2011

We were so disappointed with this hotel. The rooms are dirty and old. Loads of Mosquitos and geckos in the rooms too. Our balcony overlooked a bus car park. Don't waste your money there are far better hotels out there.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank pampillon
Silver Spring, Md.
Reviewed September 27, 2011

There is very little English-speaking capacity in the staff. There was a rat running across the floor in the downstairs Chinese restaurant while we were having dinner. Tried telling a waiter but he didn't speak English (I used hand gestures of animal running on floor) but he wasn't interested to find out. The brochure in the room lists features such as pedicure but try getting one--they supposedly have a beauty shop/spa where I tried to get a pedicure (it was impossible to make an appt that they could keep). The so-called beauty shop/spa is a dodgy-looking grotto with private rooms and doesn't open til 4:00 pm, featuring karyoke. Use your imagination on that one. The bathtubs are moldy and have moldy plastic mats, stained towels, etc. To get to the beach, I had to cross a busy street only to find that the boardwalk/stage to the beach was covered in a plastic tarp (another guest said one must enter the beach further down because that area is "closed." The hotel shop had a small tube of Nivea sunscreen for the equivalent of $30 USD. The breakfast was slim pickins although one can get an omelet. The bed was like sleeping on a plank, although I am grateful that I saw no bedbugs. Outside the Chinese restaurant, on the terrace before the pool, there is a large area paved with slick ceramic tiles that are exptremely slippery. It was raining and wet and I slipped and fell. Although lots of waiters and staff were sitting around in the restaurant, and I am pretty sure they had to have seen me fall, no one got up to help me up.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Gal_i_vanter
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed September 24, 2010

This hotel is suited for people who will be only sleeping in this hotel, getting breakfast and don't expect anything else there. Nice sea, but beach is not so comfy, sometimes dirty. Food is monotonous (we were having same table every time) and not really tasty. Big nice pool but too much chlorine.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple