“Nice hotel; courteous, helpful staff” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Guesthouse International Hotel
Ranked #49 of 1,327 Hotels in Sanya
Hong Kong
“Nice hotel; courteous, helpful staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

Overall, my stay was pleasant and a welcome break from the hubbub of daily life. The hotel impressed me more than I was expecting and the staff were very polite and helpful, even though they still had to wade through a lot of the bureaucracy that still plagues mainland Chinese hotels.

I went with my wife and our four-month-old baby. We told the hotel that we would need a car to meet us at the airport, and this was arranged for a small additional fee. Transit to and from the airport was quick, but the standard of driving in Sanya is among the worst I have seen in eight years of China experience. I was very much afraid for our safety a number of times. Our driver, it seemed, avoided a number of collisions more by luck than by judgement.

We stayed three nights in January 2013, amidst the near continuous back-drop of Chinese New Year fireworks.

Location
There are many hotels in Sanya that are right on the beach. This isn't one of them. That's not to say it's inconvenient, but it isn't ideal. Wend your way down the long drive-way to the road and you're met by heavy, fast-moving traffic with drivers leaning on their horns the whole time. Surprisingly, perhaps, this noise is practically inaudible from the hotel. Get down to street level, however, and you're left in no doubt that you're in a bustling Chinese city.

The local area has plenty of restaurant choices and a few shops, as well as a small theme park. It's a twenty minute walk to the beach, but the hotel also has a golf cart that will take you to the beach and back in five minutes. Surprisingly, the golf cart feels safer on the manic roads than a regular car does.

From some parts of the hotel you can just about see the sea, but mostly the views consist of high-rise apartment blocks.

Check-in
The check-in was the least pleasant part of the trip. There's still far too much bureaucracy. It took over half an hour for the staff to make all the necessary copies of our ID documents, fill-out all the forms in triplicate, process my credit card for the deposit and advise us of the special price hikes for Chinese New Year.

It was gone lunch time and our baby was hungry so once check-in was complete, his mother just wanted to take him to the room and feed him. Small snag : the room won't be ready until three o'clock. What!? The lobby was fully of fairly grumpy-looking tourists who were sitting around with their bags, waiting. They'd all been told the same thing. Rooms are not made available until three in the afternoon. Hotel policy. Angry wife, crying baby changed that policy. We were shown to our room.

The hotel
The hotel is half way up a hill and is accessed by two routes; each quite long and winding. This means that there is a degree of seclusion from the noise and the sight line is elevated above many of the nearby buildings, allowing for nice views from breakfast.

There is free wi-fi in the lobby and there is an Apple Macintosh computer for those who haven't brought their own device. The lobby itself is very nicely decorated, however the water feature is quite low on water and many of the koi carp were half sticking out of the water as they swam around.

From what I saw, smoking seems to be permitted in all areas of the hotel.

Rooms
Despite having been told that there were no rooms available until 3.00pm, we noted that throughout our stay all of the rooms around us remained wholly unoccupied. The hotel had plenty of empty rooms and could have let guests go to them straight after check-in. I still cannot figure out why they are reluctant to do this.

The first thing I noticed about the room was the lack of places to hang towels. There was precisely one hook in the whole room. Towels just had to be laid on the the side of the wash basin.

I also noticed that the cushions on the chairs reeked of cigarette smoke. Ash trays are provided and there didn't appear to be a 'non smoking' option for rooms.

The room was comfortable but unexceptional. Nice TV, nice bed, nice shower, nice little patio (which they market as a balcony). Nothing much to write home about.

Stepping out of our room by way of the patio led directly to the top of the slides down to the children's pool. If I were a kid I'd have loved to stay in that room! Every morning I'd be out the door and down the chute.

Dining
Unlike a lot of Chinese hotels, this one has lots of 'western' options in the breakfast buffet. They were cold, though. We were down early for breakfast on the first day, and the staff told us they didn't start warming up the food until about an hour into breakfast.

There are the usual serving instruments accompanying every dish, of course, but as this is mainland China do not be surprised to see guests taking food with their hands or with their soiled chopsticks. If this sort of thing puts you off eating, get to breakfast early. Better cold than diseased.

Proper coffee cups and bowls and spoons for breakfast cereal were notably absent. Cereal was stale and had to be served in a rice bowl and eaten with a Chinese soup spoon. On our first morning, coffee had to be taken in a Chinese tea cup. Espresso-sized coffee cups appeared on the second morning.

We didn't have lunch in the hotel. There are plenty of really good local options in the surrounding area.

We tried the evening buffet, once. It's held outside and there's live singing of a fairly average standard. The evening buffet isn't cheap, and I don't think I'd do it again. It comes with unlimited free beer, so that might appeal to some.

Beach
The hotel boasts its own private beach. What it means is that it has its own, demarcated hundred yard section of a beach. It has its own beach chairs and umbrellas and attendants, and the sand is nice and its generally pleasant enough when the sun is out. Again, though, this is mainland China so expect to see people drinking and smoking whilst swimming. The water quality isn't great and resulted in a strong stinging sensation after ten minutes of swimming. The sea floor was littered with beer bottles. This cannot be taken as a criticism of the hotel.

The beach, outside of the hotel's roped-off area, offers jet-skis and parasailing and massages and other sorts of fun. Anyone can use these for a fee.

The hotel's little area doesn't offer showers, but for twenty yuan you can use the showers at another hotel's section.

The golf cart to and from the hotel leaves every 15 minutes but can be called if you don't want to wait.

Pools & recreation
There are two pools. Each is clean and fairly quiet. Neither is very deep and each has a portion dedicated to children. One has a bar. Nothing to write home about.

There is small a hot-tub near the larger of the two swimming pools. It's described as a 'hot spring', which raised a few laughs from families that came along expecting to find something a more spa-like thermal pool.

There is a snooker table, but the room was chained shut. Above that room is the gym. This is small, but clean and always left open. There's a foosball table and some basic gym equipment. The treadmill is the only item that requires electricity, but it was not plugged in and there was no obvious way to do so.

The staff speak several Chinese dialects as well as English and Russian. Many of the signs around the hotel are presented in Chinese, Russian and English.

The staff were very polite and helpful at all times, though I think they could have mentioned the 'Government tax' at the time of booking. In eight years of staying at hotels in China, this is the first time I have come across this tax (it is, apparently, a real thing, though).

They were very helpful in calling the golf cart for us and driving us to the beach and back, and along the way recommending different restaurants depending on our tastes. The staff always maintained a smile and made us feel welcome and at ease.

The room we booked wasn't dreadfully expensive, but they put the price up by nearly 300% for the night of Chinese New Year's Day (not New Year's Eve). Room service was also not as expensive as I had feared.

The car from the airport to the hotel was 70 yuan, which is 10 yuan more than a taxi but you have the added benefit of a man with a sign waiting for you. The return fare to the airport was 150 yuan because it was Chinese New Year at that point. This was still good value as you'd be hard-pushed to find a taxi during the New Year holiday.

All-in-all, I felt the hotel was good value, though I question the big price-hike for New Year's Day. Try to avoid travelling in China at this time of year.

Check-out
Quicker than check-in, check-out was completed in under five minutes and the car was waiting outside to take us to the airport.

Overall
The hotel is still fairly new and boasts room designs by a 'well-known Hong Kong designer', yet it is already starting to show signs of wear-and-tear around the edges. They need to take better care of their Koi and the children's underwater play equipment is in desperate need of de-rusting.

All-in-all, however, this is a nice hotel and the staff tried their best to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. I wasn't dazzled by any aspect of my stay, but I would recommend it to families looking for a relaxed, pleasant stay in a quieter part of Sanya.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank tomspencer78

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We moved here after staying at one of the Sanya apartment properties and we were so relieved - it was like night and day.

The hotel is situated in Dadonghai on a hill up from the beach. It's a nice spot to get away from all the traffic and hustle & bustle of the busy city. There is a shuttle bus which can take you down to the beach, but we preferred to walk down to the restaurant area for some cheap seafood and a huge pint of locally brewed beer (20 RMB) while making our way to the beach.

We did end of spending most of our time at the pool which was quiet and had a great view of the mountain. There was also a 'pool bar' offering cold beverages to help beat the heat (I recommend the Hainan beer @ 10RMB per bottle).

The room was nicely decorated and the was kept clean throughout our stay. I do have to say that the mosquito repellant they provided to ward off mosquito's does not work well, so we were bitten quite a bit. However, this did not affect our trip one bit.

I would definitely return to this hotel when in Sanya again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RelaxedTraveler2013
Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The name of the hotel is Guesthouse International Hotel Sanya and is located in Dadong Hai area. The hotel is up in a little mountain, but there is no need to walk up and down because there is an elevator to street level. They provide free shuttle to and from private beach when needed. We stayed in a deluxe pool view room in the main builing and it was fantastic. Just 3 steps to pool that had a special part for kids. The room was clean, everything is provided (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, drinking water, beach towels, slippers, etc.). Good shower. King size bed, soft linen. Free wired internet in room, excellent connection speed.

The hotel is now owned by Americans and therefore the customer service standard is higher than in some other resort. Some people in front desk can speak and understand some English. There are also some who understand Russian. However, it is not true (as some previous reviewers have mentioned) that if you speak Russian you will be certainly understood. The staff speaks Russian as poorly as English. We had a trip with a driver who spoke only Mandarin and we used android translator, had no problems. But you should not expect that the staff would help you to organize your vacation, they will not do that beacuse of their language barriers. If you know where you want to go, then they will try to help you. No. 2 bus goes to Sanya center (ticket 1 RMB) and no. 25 opposite road goes to Yalong Bay (ticket 5 RMB).

Breakfast could have been more tasteful, they do not know how to cook omlette, just can cook fried eggs. The selection is quite big, but many times I ended up with nothing as I do not like Chinese food and their European food was not good. By the way, they charged my 6-year-old kid a fee of 69 RMB for breakfast that was weird and certainly overpriced as you can get a very tasty pizza in nearby PizzaHut for 58 RMB.

A little painful check-in and check-out since their card machines may not always accept all types of credit cards, but the deposits will be returned eventually.

We ordered airport transfer and it worked well both ways.

Room Tip: Deluxe pool view in main building.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Blond72
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Sanya is a beautiful place to visit, but this hotel is a little subpar for international standards. 3 stars at best. Room service and pretty much everything closes at 11:30pm. We arrived late and was really hungry but could not find food anywhere near by at the time (past midnight). It was just a place to sleep, nothing spectacular. I recommend staying in Yalong Bay with the 4-5 star hotels, you won't regret it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I stay 3 nights here in December. We booked the room through the hotel's official website. Originally I booked a mountain view room, but it upgraded us to a poolside one. As we stayed for 3 nights, free shuttle was provided from airport to hotel. The room is so great that we can jump to the swimming pool by opening the balcony door!! The staffs are nice and helpful! They taught us how to go to the tourist spots and call taxi. The location is very good and bus stop at the entrance. However, the breakfast is no really that good as I think it is a bit oily. There are many Russians staying at this hotel too.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank Carriecku
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2009

I booked the summer romance package directly from the hotel for a 4D3N for 1753CNY including taxes and include a day trip to the famous Nashanshi, 1 free dinner and 2-way transfers from the airport/bus station. Value for money package. The staff were all very friendly with a good spread for its breakfast buffet. I booked the ocean view stateroom and though there's no seaview for this hotel, I managed to have a pool view. The main tower 1 & 2 where the big swimming pool is are under renovations currently. This hotel has a private beach which means you have free beach chairs else would cost you about 100CNY/day to rent there. The hotel beach chairs also comes with a locker which is a very nice thought and though this hotel is far from the beach, the free beach shuttle from the hotel compensates it. I also booked the hotel driver for a day for 200CNY which is a good deal I guess, fantastic and patient driver. His surname is dong 董. He even brought us to the sea sports centre for free the next day to get us the tour group price which I saved 100CNY compared to the public rate. We also went to the pearl factory with him but as that place doesn't accept both VISA & Master, we were not able to buy anything. Only pity for this hotel is that all rooms has no bathtub. The balcony is huge though and I loved it.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SmurfSingapore
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2006

We stayed two nights here and it was a much better value than the Pearl River Garden. The rooms were newer more spacious, great views in four directions, and cheaper. It was not next to the beach though. They had a shuttle to take you there, about 5 blocks away. Before you book any room in the off season, check it out first. This is when they do maintenance and construction work. The noise was what really got us out of the Pearl River.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ovahimba