“Mostly very good”

Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Sanya Hilton has an excellent location on the beach of Yalong Bay. The buildings are nicely arranged in a semi-circle with a main building and 8 mid sized (6 floors) buildings for rooms. The pool landscaping inside the semi circle is outstanding.
The rooms are good, except: they are too dark. There is a shortage of light. And then: the bathrooms have serious design flaws. The wash basins are too small and the faucets barely reach into them. The toilet seat was shaky. I am not kidding. Sitting down was an adventure and you couldn't be sure that it wouldn't collapse or topple. The oversized round bath tub in the centre is just a waste of space, eating into the sparse shower space. There are no hangers for towels. The bath tub faucet seems to be coming off any minute. Consolation: very good and nice housekeeping staff.
Restaurants: the Chinese one very good. The international one with mixed performance and with staff training issues. Something remains to be done there.
Another less than great experience: at check in during mid afternoon, only one reception counter was staffed. Waiting time 15 minutes. That shouldn't happen in a 5 star hotel. Not the receptionist's fault, clearly.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Helmut S
hiltonsanyaresort, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Helmut S,

Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences during your stay with us. We’re glad that you like the resort location, swimming pools landscape, and really enjoyed our warm and caring housekeeping service. I have taken note on your comment that we could have done better on some occasions when attending to your needs. My sincere apologies for any shortcomings in our service delivery you experienced. I have discussed your feedback with our Operations Team to ensure we will do better in future. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to Sanya and our Resort in the near future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This hotel is really nice, the rooms decor took me by surprise as I was here on a business trip but the big bath tub in the room was a nice touch. I also like the size of the pool, it was of a good size and the location of the gym. However the hotel is a little far away from any another attraction and the beach and spa attractions were a tad too expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
hiltonsanyaresort, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Yong Quan C,

Thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton Sanya Resort & Spa and for your good comments on our facilities and hospitality. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We chose Hilton Sanya because the review for the pool of the hotel was good, and we were not disappointed. They probably have the best pool system in the island of Sanya. In fact that was where we spent most of our time, except when we went to the beach (private as well).
Beside the great pool, we also enjoy the room, which large circular bath tub (which our kids had great time enjoying the bubble bath as well). The hotel staff was courteous enough and changed the 2 single beds (originally in the room) into one big kind size bed, beside giving us another single bed, to accommodate our family of 4.
Breakfast was plentiful and with good choices of foods. We were lucky enough to go there before the local Chinese school started their summer vacation, so it was not packed though the breakfast was quite crowded.
The beach was private enough with onsite guard (they only work till 7 pm after which they will tell you not to go down the water). You can scroll along the beach to other resort. Most local don't bother going to the beach, except for a few lady selling local stuffs (seen only 2 of them during the 4 days stay).
While the breakfast was excellent and included in the room charge, the restaurants in the hotel are expensive, so we took the taxi (cost 10 RMB) to a place a bit further ahead (in the Yalong bay area), where we find PizzaHut, Starbuck cafe plus a numbers of local restaurant, for lunch and dinner. Consider the much cheaper cost of the meal the 20 RMB cost of taxi going back and forth was completely worth it.
The view from the main balcony of the hotel reception down to the pool and the beach was beautiful.
Definitely will come back next time, maybe in a less hot day.

Room Tip: there are room at the ground floor with the back door open right to the pool. Probably need to pay m...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KHANHAHO

Dear KHANHAHO,

Thank you for your recent stay here at Hilton Sanya Resort & Spa! We are so glad that you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality and enjoyed our swimming pools, food and beautiful views. We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

This was definitely one of the best hotels I have ever been to - I wish I could come back!
The pool was amazing, the beach was amazing, service was fantastic, and the rooms were beautiful.
I fully recommend it, it's worth every penny!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear Christina L,

Thanks for staying with us at the Hilton Sanya Resort & Spa. We’re glad that you like our swimming pools, natural beach and really enjoyed our warm and caring service. We hope to see you soon.

Kind Regards

Reviewed June 16, 2013

I was there the first time in March for my Company Convention. I did not have much time to fully take advantage of the resort, but Iiked very much the ambiance, the service and my suite...so much... that I went back after a couple of weeks for a long weekend (and to celebrate my birthday).
This time I chosen the Ocean front suite: the view is spectacular.
The suites are very spacious (i love the 2 levels), the bathrooms are luxurious, Philip Roth amenities. Good choice of restaurants and bars. The room service as well is very good.
Long, white sand private beach.
The staff is helpful and friendly, many speak good English.
The gym is well equipped and accessible around the clock. The SPA is nice, but, if you don't speak Chinese and you'd like something different from the listed treatments/massages, you may experience some difficulties,
The thing I like the least: breakfast at restaurant...too crowded, but the buffets are very reach. I preferred the room service
The thing i found strange: you cannot jetski on your own, (unless you have a license) without an instructor...sanya's regulations after a tourist death some time ago
The thing delighted me: a complimentary little cake for my birthday!

Room Tip: suites, in particular Ocean front
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
hiltonsanyaresort, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear barbara b,

Thank you for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and liked our authentic Hilton hospitality. We are so glad that you spent a very delightful birthday with us. All of us at Hilton are passionate about hospitality and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

It was my second trip back to Sanya yet my first time at Hilton. Last time I stayed at the Pullman, and I thought Hilton is definitely an upgrade. I was there for a conference so I did not get to do any sightseeing, and spent most of my time at the hotel. The room is large and spacious. The room layout is little weird. The bath area is right next to the balcony, and the bath tube is placed in the room at an area between the beds and balcony. Since I was staying at the ground level, I walked out to the balcony, and I was surprised to see how easy it was for any one to walk by and peep inside. For anyone who wants to keep their privacy without keeping the curtain down all the time, make sure you avoid ground floor level. The breakfast buffet was adequate and staff in general is friendly. The low season is from first week of May till end of June, so people may be able to find good deals during these two months.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground level
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Ella D, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2013

Dear Spaky,

Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at our resort! So glad you were able to experience our authentic Hilton hospitality. Our resort has many various room types and different layout to satisfy guests’ needs all over the world, appreciated for your kind understanding. Thank you again for your taking time to share experience with us and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed here a couple of years ago for a week but I didn't review it at the time. I thought I'd leave a quick review with the most lasting impressions I have.

Rooms - Very large, great bathtubs, modern. Check what kind of balcony you have, some are concrete which means you can't see anything from them if you sit in the chairs. This is what we ended up with, it was a bit annoying. Beds were extremely comfortable.

Pool - Highlight of the hotel, absolutely brill. Connecting areas and plenty of space. Lovely swim up bar and decking with bean bags to sit on. The pool was better than the pool at neighbouring hotels. I actually would consider revisiting just for the pool.

Service - The service here was terrible but not for lack of trying. Staff just weren't correctly trained and many couldn't speak English well. They were however, very friendly and tried their best. Hopefully the service will have improved by now.

Dining - Breakfast was awesome here, one of the best buffet breakfasts Ive had and I've stayed in many high end 5 star hotels. So much choice, including every kind of cuisine even at breakfast. Dinner buffet was also equally as wide ranging and delicious. The chinese restaurant was good but not outstanding for the price. The dishes we had on a set menu were all a little too traditional for our tastes. It was nice to try something a bit different mind you. We also ate in the restaurant in the cube in the middle of the garden area (sorry, I forget the name), the food in here was to a very high standard and the staff were extremely attentive. We really enjoyed our meals in here.

Beach - Large white sand beach stretching out very far. Great for walking along. Loungers and service was good. We did some watersports and took a boat trip which was okay, but nothing special.

Other things - We had cocktails overlooking the pool below most evenings, very nice setting but again a little let down by service.

We rented bikes and rode to a small shopping mall down the road from the hotel. Not much there when we went, but still nice to get out and about.

OVERALL: Enjoyable resort, I would like to return some day to see how it's developed and enjoy that amazing pool and garden area again!

Room Tip: Ask about the style of balcony. We had a concrete fronted one so you couldn't see anything if yo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AmeliaJayne
Stephan S, General Manager at Hilton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear Amelia Jayne,
Thank you very much for taking time to share your experiences during your stay with us. Your valuable feedback is very important to us in our aim for excellence. While I am very pleased that you had an overall very enjoyable time at our Resort, I have taken note on your comment that we could have done better on some occasions when attending to your needs. My sincere apologies for any shortcomings in our service delivery you experienced. I have discussed your feedback with our Operations Team to ensure we will do better in future. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope that we will have the pleasure to welcoming you back to Sanya and our Resort in the near future.
Stephan Stoss