Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Bay
  • Beachfront
$445
clubmed.us
$93
All reviewspool areachinese restaurantfish spapleasant hoteldifferent areaslobby barthe hotel offersprivate beachyogurtnoodlesairportenglishsupermarketbarbecue
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I booked this hotel after reading some of the positive reviews and thought I give this hotel a shot. There was six of us in the party, my wife, our 2 young daughters 5 and 7 and my wife's parents. I made the sad mistake of booking this place for 5 nights and prepaid the charges so I could not get out of it, if I had the chance I would have checked out the first day. Here is what you can expect at this hotel, mind you I speak fluent English and Mandarin and my wife is native Shanghainese. Upon arrival from the airport there was a bellhop standing at the entrance of the lobby but did even budge to help with our luggage until I called to him in Chinese. Check in was ok, but like other reviews there is no sign for Priority Club members and I am a Platnium member. Therefore, you can forget any upgrades or special privileges as a preferred member. We booked the seaview deluxe rooms and should have been on the 5-7 floor but we were placed on the 3rd floor, their reason, it is also seaview, but check their website and it states seaview deluxe is on 5-7. The next morning during breakfast there were people smoking in the restaurant, mind you there were tons of family and kids having breakfast during that time, there is signage for smoking and non smoking section. The next morning the same thing happened again which made me furious as I saw employees handing these smokers ash trays. I voice my concern to the western restaurant manager Jimmy and he told me that there is a designated non smoking area which is hidden by the buffet section with no ventilation. Keep in mind the breakfast area is not air conditioned and is open styled seating area. The manager informed me that next time he can place my family in a private room for our meal, I guess the smoking guest are more important than everyone else who should inhale their second hand smoke. That same day, around 7pm my wife and I decided to visit Sanya central, we asked for a taxi from concierge and was told it is difficult to get one now since they are changing shifts. Taxi shift change takes place between 5:30 to 6:30 pm, I verified this with several taxi drivers. He suggested we use the "black cars" which are non metered and will most likely charge you double. I declined and ask them to get a cab, Rick was his name and he told me I can walk down to the main road and try to hail one myself, this infuriated me even more. I demanded him to go get one and only after threatening to speak with the General Manager did he reluctantly walk down to get one, it took less than 3 minutes for the cab to show up. Housekeeping is a hit and miss, we had an ash tray in our room which we place some trash in but was never cleaned until the 3rd day. The first night and fourth night there was a turn down service when asked why only 2 nights out of 5, the reply was they were short handed. Keep in mind I did meet with the General Manager and voice all these issues to him and he took some careful notes and thanked me for my feedback on day 4 of my stay. However, on the day we checked out July 31, 2012 and asked for taxi to the airport, concierge again said it will take some time to get one, keep in mind this is 9 am in the morning and no shift changes at this time. He suggested how about we used the "black cars" that they have contracts with, I demanded him to walk down and grab us the cabs and he refused, I then walked in and told the lobby manager Bob who was present during my meeting with the General Manager why is it the same problem keep happening with their concierge, he immediately told them to go and fetch the cab. My advise is to stay away from this hotel unless you like the aggravations my family and I went through. Seems to me even when I spoke to the General Manager no improvements was made. Being a platinum member I will lodge a formal complaint with IGH group about this hotel. Good luck to all those who are still brave enough to choose this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank cordonbleu99
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My daughter and I flew down for a week after school ended . The hotel was clean, all staff were pleasant and our room was a good size. My daughter loved the poolwhich was deserted for most ofthe day. They had pool tubes and floats available to rent for about $3.00 US. The breakfast buffet was included in our room and was fine. There was not a lot to do around the hotel but we were just there to relax. I would recommend this hotel for a family vacation. THe beach was about a 5 minute walk away across a narrow road.

Room Tip: We could hear some noise from the airport from our mountain view room - but was fine for us and not too disturbing
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2012

This is a great little resort on Sanya bay. We are a family of 4 and find this resort to be just the thing we needed to escape.
The good:
When we are at this resort it is pretty deserted , at least in the day time. The pool areas is fantastic since it has areas that are shaded for use during hot weather and open areas where we swim in the evenings.
The beach is also very close and this is great for kids with a little enclosed swimming area.
Rooms are also spacious and neat. With all the things that you would expect with free internet.
The price is also good for rooms and food. View from our sea view room is to die for.

The bad:
Cigarette buds around the pool area.
Small animal dropping which my little daughter liked to touch on the pool grounds
The quality of the breakfast in the morning as mediocre

Room Tip: Always choose the seaview room on the 5th or 6th floor possible at the center. Do not choose the mountain view rooms since it faces the airport and also rooms in the new west wing has obstructed views.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank chow tien w
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Location is perfect if you want to relax and do nothing

• Stayed: March 2012
4  Thank holidaymanSingapore
Reviewed March 25, 2012

I found this resort hotel to be a beautiful place, with a few exceptions. My stay here was for 3 nights following a 2 week business trip in China.

Firstly, check in was good, with English spoken perfectly well enough to be sufficient, and a manager also welcomed me to the hotel, and made sure that I had everything I needed at check in. I was also immediately recognised as a Priority Club member, and I think I was given an upgraded room because of it.

The room was amazing taking into consideration the price. In fact I was very impressed with this being a Holiday Inn. It was large, facing the ocean on the 4th floor, and all facilities in the room were great. In fact the whole room as well as the bathroom rivalled most in many better hotels in North America. It was quiet, and obviously well sound proofed which is always a plus!

The grounds were very well kept; the pool is large and very clean, and the staff were very helpful and also spoke good English. Better than expected.

The beach is just across the road from the hotel, but is very easy to access, with loungers available and plenty of towels which are signed for from the kiosk by the pool. The beach is clean with a good swimming area which is not deep at all so it would be great for families with children. The water wasn’t as clear as I would have expected, but certainly not dirty though.

There are also quiet little areas with hammocks and cabanas near the pool which were really great as they are shaded by palm trees. Watch out for falling coconuts though! They also have a dedicated kid’s pool.

On Saturday, which was the day I arrived, there is a pool side barbecue which was around 200RMB (about US$32), which included free flow local beer, so it was definitely worth it as the friendly staff kept bringing as many beers as I could drink! The food was very good and plentiful, although I would suggest that an outdoor fly killer should be close by as there was uncooked shellfish and meat around, and there were a few flies. Good choice of food though with salads, Asian foods, as well as lots of meat.

I ate in the Chinese restaurant the next night and also found it to be very good, although it was fairly deserted. The food was reasonably priced, freshly cooked and the staff were very good, and helpful with good English.

The Western restaurant was also deserted the next evening, and although the food there was good it was nothing special. Although the resort was certainly not full, I was surprised that there were not more guests eating there, and to be honest wondered where they did eat.

It turns out that there are impromptu restaurants set up on the beach at night, where you can have freshly barbecued meat, seafood and veggies, but I did not try them. I did however see others eating there. Very romantic setting right on the beach!

Breakfasts were OK, not great, with a good selection of Asian and western foods. At 68RMB (US$11), not bad for a buffet. Pity the juice wasn’t fresh though. The coffee was Hainan coffee which in typical Chinese fashion was sweet and creamy right out of the pot, but certainly was pretty good.

Onto the downsides: According to the brochure in the room, there was supposed to be a Continental breakfast available in the lobby bar, which was not there at all. It would probably have been a better way of having a light breakfast.

The pool bar was closed, which would have been nice to have had, but in view of the few guests, wouldn’t have been viable I’m sure.

Drinks tend to be quite expensive compared to my experience in China, so I found the best thing was to find the local supermarket and buy beers and big bottles of drinking water there and bring them back to the hotel which is obviously quite acceptable. Again though these were not too unreasonably priced for a resort.

The supermarket is about 5 minute walk up the road, so head to the road from the pool area and turn right, and walk along the road until you reach the Russian(?) restaurant, and the supermarket is just around the back.

If you are looking for wifi in the rooms, as in anywhere in China, this does not happen, as I believe that hotels are not allowed to have in room wifi, so it is limited to public areas only. However the wired internet connection in the room was free and very fast. More than acceptable.

There is also the fish massage available next to the pool in what looks like what used to be a Jacuzzi, which was interesting to see! Very tempting for a different experience.

There is a definite lack of night life, but to be honest, that suited ne just fine as it is a very relaxing atmosphere at the resort, but if you are looking for nightlife, a cab ride to Sanya town would be probable.

Lunch on the beach was provided by the plentiful supply of fresh Chinese mangoes sold by the many beach vendors, who however were not too pushy, as I have experienced in other resorts in other countries. Very well priced and delicious.

All in all the resort was very comfortable, with the majority of guests being from Russia when I was there, who generally keep themselves to themselves, although the couple I chatted to were very friendly and interested to know where I came from.

One of my favourite places was in a hammock under a palm tree, just hanging out....! Great way to end a hard day on the beach! Who would have thought this was China?!

In my opinion, and after having stayed here as well as at a larger, more plush resort in Yalong Bay. I would definitely return to this Holiday Inn Resort, as it was quieter, MUCH better value for the cost, and extremely relaxing. There are also probably closer restaurants and night life than in Yalong Bay. All in all, I would happily recommend this one!

Room Tip: Ask for a seaview room, as the view over the pool and the beach are gorgeous! Also find the small supermarket for beer, water and other essentials which is a 5 minute walk up the road to the right from the pool area.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo