“Great for kids”

Sheraton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort
Ranked #22 of 1,350 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I have stayed at the Sheraton Sanya resort for 4 nights in April 2012. Due to our flight being delayed we arrived at 2 AM and our pick up from the hotel was there anyway including a child's car seat. What a great start to our stay! After a 40 minute drive to the resort we were quickly checked in and taken to our room. The infant bed that we had requested was made up and our daughter had a good night sleep.
We enjoyed breakfast and went straight to the kiddy pool (the biggest I have ever seen).
The kid's club staff is great and attentive, I left my 14 month old daughter at the kid's club while enjoying a spa treatment next door. My husband enjoyed 2 rounds of golf during our stay.
The only set back during our stay was the food. We stayed during renovation works on the Lotus cafe maybe that was the reason of the poor food quality. Who knows? We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner every day of our stay and never was the food really good. The hotel had many Russian guests and has employed some Russian speaking staff that also speak English. Anastasia and Sergei where great and very open to our comments about the hotel.
I highly recommend this hotel to families with small children but not to food lovers.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank RemoraSurabaya
Rcheung, Manager at Sheraton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for staying with Sheraton Sanya Resort and sharing your feedback.
It's our honor to provide you a relaxed and quiet enviroment for your vacation.
We're very happy that you like our pools and satisfy with our service.
Thank you for your understanding about Lotus Cafe's rennovation which should be done in a few weeks.
We sincerely welcome you back for your next stay.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

While this hotel may have been flavor of the month and lived on the fact it hosted a few Miss World Pageants, I can tell you they would 'never' attract any such function with the current state of the hotel.

The service is very patchy and not anywhere near Sheraton standard nor 5 Star. Language is a big problem but the lack of initiative and attention is most frustrating. Poor show from a Starwood hotel.

The rooms are generally good though ours always felt damp and clammy. Bedding is low quality and not even close to the Westin heavenly bed. I have found far better beds in 3 Star establishments. Seems the Sheraton saved a few bucks on the last purchases.

Bathrooms are good.

Corridors were grimy and worn with tatty carpets, stained floors and walls and very 2 Star. This is supposed to be a Sheraton ?

Restaurant service was again patchy and amateurish. Very slow to get what you ordered and for a Sheraton and 5 Star , again well below par.

The Lotus Restaurant was under renovation though no work was being done so we missed one of the nicer features of this hotel along with infinity pool in the lobby also empty.

You will pay full Western prices at this hotel for average to shabby Chinese service and product.

I am a hard marker, but any discerning guest would ne annoyed at this place.

Pools are good and beach nice though some rubbish is now expected on the sea floor.

While not politically correct I will say that many of the Chinese guest are disgusting farmers who stubb cigarettes on carpets, drop rubbish where ever and still hack and spit throughout the property. I empathize with the hotel for having to deal with this problem but it is not new so they should be on top of it by now.

If you after a 5 Star experience, I suggest you look elsewhere.

This is a 5 Star property in a 3-4 Star condition with 3.5 Star service.

It may be worth a look only after a major renovation as it is now definitely overdue.

• Stayed: April 2012
7  Thank ScambusterSZ
Rcheung, General Manager at Sheraton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with the Sheraton Sanya Resort and sharing with us your valuable comments.
Obviously we did not meet all of your expectations on your most recent visit with us and for this we are deeply concerned. We strive to ensure every guest who visits us takes home some memorable experiences and feel relaxed and completely rejeuvinated.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our rooms in general despite our signature Sweet Sleeper bedding not being to your liking.
Like all 5 star hotels, we choose to complete regular maintenance from time to time to ensure valued guests like yourself enjoy a high quality standard of features. It was unfortunate that your trip coincided with one of these times and our water feature was being cleaned however I am sure you enjoyed the many other outstanding features our lovely property has to offer like the well established lush gardens surrounding the 5 swimming pools and of course undoubtably the best position in Yalong Bay with clean white sand and clear warm ocean waters.
We do take all our guests comments very seriously and have addressed each of your concerns in order to strengthen our training and guest engagement from our associates.
It is important that we regain your trust and hope that you will give us the opportunity to work with you in the near future and please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance.

Reviewed January 29, 2012

I did not stay at the hotel, just stopped by walking on the beach. The hotel is right on the beach(don't look at the map.

The garden is superb, very nice atmosphere in the restaurant. Surprisingly not very expensive as you would expect in such places, and when i get my tuna salad(98rmb) it was really good and the club sandwich very fresh and tasty, enough for 2 people, with drinks altogether just over 200 rmb with drinks. I recommend the stop so after a long walk in the afternoon on the beach we decided to go there for dinner. Super tenderloin, so tasty and so tender, 1000 rmb meal for 2 with a bottle of chilean wine, definitely a restaurant to recommend

• Stayed: February 2011
2  Thank Stephane P
Rcheung, Manager at Sheraton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your valuable comments.
Your feedback is very precious for us.
We're engaged in improving our food quality and choices, as well as the service standard all the time. We sincerely welcome you to stay with us next time so that you can fully experience our 5-star services.
Thank you again for your comments, it's our pleasure to serve you during the Chinese New Year Holiday.

Reviewed January 25, 2012

I have stayed here 1 night during the Chinese New Year and it was the poorest experience I had with the Sheraton.

I arrived with my car and wanted to park, they refused me because I had no card or receipt that I checked in, so I drive to the lobby, they say I can't park there, so I ask where can I park? They say in the parking space area. So I drive down again and they refuse me again with a bad attitude and I'm unable to park. At the end, I park in the front of the lobby, check in and finally can park normally.

The rooms are ok, I paid a high 800 dollars a night because of Chinese New Year holiday.

There is a nice garden and beach, before you go to the beach they will check you if you really live in the hotel, again they ask you your room card rudely and without a smile.

I have been to the neighbor hotels, The Marriott and Ritz Carlton and there mentality is so much better and more professional, that I will book with them next time.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Littlegerald
Rcheung, Manager at Sheraton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback and comments. We are saddened to learn of your experience during your recent stay.
With the festive season, we have initiated steps to ensure our guests are able to enjoy the hotel facilities and services, however, in this instance; we did not manage this appropriately with your encounter at the driveway and at the beach.
Our guests' comfort is very important to us and we strive constantly to evolve and improve. We have reviewed and taken necessary steps to enliven our guests’ experience.
Thank you once again for your comments. We sincerely look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

Hotel is really nice with no gaudy color scheme to hurt your eye. Service was good tho' a little more smile is preferred but gym staffs were the best.
Food at the Chinese restaurant was very good and the pasta at cafe was good also. Breakfast is ordinary and tho' a buffet, like a war zone. Also, while having breakfast, a women had her kid peed into the reflection pool and the next morning, a woman next to us sneezed on to the floor and wiped snout on her chair.
There was a big wedding celebration when I was there and the place was really noisy, not necessary from the music but from the loud voices on the cell and the "yelling" type of conversation to each other.
The room director Brett and Chris(?) at the cafe were very nice.
On and all, I had a good time there and enjoyed playing tennis away from the crowd. All the unpleasantness from the clientele should be expected, after all, Hainan is China and these people drive the economy today.

Room Tip: The view is worth picking a room with a balcony on higher floors.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank john l

Dear guest,
Thank you for staying with Sheraton Sanya Resort.
We appreciate that you have taken the time to share with us your feedback.
It is a pleasure to learn that you have enjoyed the hotel facilities and service, despite the inconvenience caused. We value your comments and will strive to improve.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you in the near future and to showcase our Sheraton hospitality.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

This hotel is located on the most beautiful clean beach. The Chinese are not great lovers of swimming and sun bathing so the beach was always very quiet. The sea was clear and warm and there was absolutely no rubbish lying around.
The hotel itself was wonderful with magnificent gardens and about five swimming pools dotted around. Service was exceptional with management always on hand to help when necessary, although the staff couldn't be more helpful.
This is the best international standard hotel in which I have stayed - and there have been many.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank colin whalley

Dear guest,
It is a delight to learnt that you have enjoyed your stay with us at Sheraton Sanya Resort.
Your comments are well received and we appreciate that you have taken valuable time to share with us your feedback. We will definitely share this with our colleagues.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future and to create yet another memorable stay.

Reviewed December 24, 2011

A good hotel, and very nice location (if you don't mind isolated from the city). Services are good, and up to SPG standard. Restaurants were good also, but there are only 2 restaurants in the hotel, one for Chinese, one for Western.

I enjoyed the hotel, the beach, but not quite relax. There were several meetings in the hotel, while I stayed. One afternoon, I saw many bodyguards standing on the beach (2 people for every 10 meters). No one knew who was in the hotel, but felt like someone was here. After 30 minutes, they were gone. Later I found out the Sheraton was considered the official hotel for lots of government activities in Sanya. I don't mind it, but it felt like it was not quite relax if I really want to have a paradise without any other activity.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Rcheung, Manager at Sheraton Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for staying with us and leaving us the valuable comments.
We highly appreciate your reviews and we'll improve our service accordingly.
It's our pleasure that you have a nice stay and enjoy our beach and sea a lot.
We actually have three restaurants opening in the hotel, one Chineses restaurant, one western, one Southeast Asian, which represent different dinning preferences of all our guests.
We sincerely welcome you back for your next tropical vacation to explore more about us.