“worst food ever!”

Ranked #56 of 1,330 Hotels in Sanya
Beijing, China
“worst food ever!”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

To start with the good things - pool is nice, lobby is nice, beach is clean. And the not so good things - service is unmotivated, uncaring, only interested in providing you with information on what you can't do and what you have to pay for - awful. 10 quai for a map - please, can't even provide a complimentary map of the area for visitors. The breakfast ranks as the worst I have ever experienced in China yet - how they even managed to make chopped cucumber taste bad is beyond me. Awful Chinese food (over cooked bland veggies, greasey noodles), awful attempt at a few western breakfast norms (bad orange juice, terrible dry bread). We tried dinner once, their seafood BBQ (outrageously overpriced), almost as bad as the breakfast. We didn't bother with the Chinese restaurant there, had as much atmosphere as a factory canteen. We headed to the 5 star hotels for meals, was well worth it. In the room, a decent sized suit, the air conditioning didn't work properly, windows where very old, bathroom rusty. I complained and got shown two rooms that were in worse condition. They were not tempted to find another solution, it was one of the other two rooms or nothing. They won, we couldn't be bothered. They provided a cot for our daughter free of charge (an old-style rusty metal bed, no mattress, something from Fright Night that I wouldn't let my dog sleep in), thankfully, we bought our own and wheeled the horror bed into the hallway and tried to forget it ever existed - picture attached. I can only imagine that any of the good reviews on this site where paid for by the hotel. Dreadful! If you can manage it, stay at one of the 5 star places down the road, we will next time.

Room Tip: I think that they may have upgraded one side of the hotel and not the other - we stayed in the non-u...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Susan H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Puebla, Mexico
Reviewed December 24, 2011

My name is Steve Chaulk.and I am a canadian living in Suzhou China. We are staying at the Palm Beach Resort for the Christmas holidays and I would not recomend this resort. The lobby area is very nice, the beach is really beautiful and the ocean water is warm and clean. The beach chairs are mostly broken, the service is 2 star at best. We had reserved a 50% ocean 50% lake view room and recieved a 10% ocean, 10% lake view and 80% construction site view with a stuffy mildiew smelling room with no balcany. The wash room had black mold or something growing from the floor grout. This was upgraded with no charge to a garden view after allot of confusion and wasted time. I asked for an ocean view which they say were all booked but were available for an extra 500rmb per night. We moved to the ocean view room (1500rmb per night ), they did give us a baby cot at no charge. The furnature is cheap wicker and the balcony chairs are small, hard, little flimsy chairs and a low table. The room make up service is poor and sometimes the room didn't get made up until we asked at 4:00pm. The rooms are a good size with TV and internet but this should be a given at these prices.The pool is beautiful but too cold to swim in. The olny thing colder than the pool is the food. The breakfast and dinner buffet never change and we found ourselves eating outside and sometimes skipping breakfast because we were sick of the food. The dining room is nice though with a nice ocean view. on one morning the tables were reserved for hotel management and we had to wait for a table with a view. When we asked if we could reserve a table they said no only the hotel people can do this!!! We went to the pool area and I put my feet in the so called hot tub with these little fish, they told me I had to pay 38rmb to use it for fifteen minutes. There is no actual hot tub on site. Two days later my wife let my child sit on the edge to let his feet warm up from paddling in the big pool and the attendant said "Lady you have to leave" They even charge for using the recreation area like 60rmb for one hour use of the billiards table. 2 star resort at 5 star prices. Just a simple room low quality food and service with access to a nice beach. The most disapointing vacation in my life. We won't come here again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve C
beverly hills
Reviewed August 6, 2011

The Philippine band in Resort Golden Palm is the worst band in Sanya. the lady singer is very ugly and the sound of their voices is like cracking. The lady singer don't even smile at the guests. The band are not friendly and they are out of tune. If the hotel wants the guests to come back to their hotel they must change their Philippine band...very ugly looking couple and always ask for money if we want to order some songs! The service in the hotel is average although the food is quite ok especially the dinner buffet...my family loves the seafoods. Keep up the good work of the service and please change the Philippine band you have now. Thank you! My family will come back next year if the band is already changed.

Room Tip: seaview room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank traves902
Reviewed April 22, 2011

Was there for a week and loved it. The people are friendly and staff are amazing. Love this picturesqe resort. Food is great and the warm breeze and view while you eat is breathtaking. The whole experience was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed August 16, 2010

worst service ever, not only because the staff doesnt speak ANY other language than chinese, they doesnt even want to help you, and give the worst breakfast buffet i have seen on our trip in china.
not speaking english means: doesnt know the following words: toilet, bar, bill, BEER, etc

• Stayed August 2010
8 Thank bellusz
Hong Kong
Reviewed May 21, 2010

I went there with my parents in the summer after my graduation from middle school.
Sanya is definitely a good choice for vacation. Make sure you go to Yalong Bay because the beaches there are the most clean and beautiful ones, and you'll also find the best hotels there.
Golden Palm has a good value for its price. It's not a 5 star hotel because it's not right next to the beach, but actually, the beach is just across the street so I think it's pretty much the same.
There's a outdoor pool as well as a lake in the hotel and the view is beautiful. You can rest in a hammock and read the starry night or you can also have a swing like a child and chat with your family or friends. That's just romantic!
Another interesting experience is riding a tandem bicycle-you can rent it from the hotel. We really had lots of fun.
I would probably try another hotel next time I go there but if you want a good value hotel the Golden Palm is still worth trying.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Angelina-bunny
Miami, Florida
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Very laid back with very friendly and accommodating staff , nice sunset views with tropical surroundings ... excellent food ....quiet and all the amenities you could ask for , price is reasonable would go back anytime.....

Stayed January 2009