Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Yalong Bay
$85
$93
$282
$242
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We were looking for a beach destination near Hong Kong to relax for a few days and Hainan island seemed a good option for somewhere completely different. Got a package deal with Dragonair and stayed for 4 nights.
Positives: location right on beach, clean clear water, and nice views with mountains in background. Extensive breakfast buffet, reasonable quality and lots of options for hungry kids. Chinese restaurant in hotel was good food option for dinner. Recommendation - order pizzas/burgers and cocktails at happy hour from the kiosk on the beach to eat on the beach while the sun goes down
Negatives: English quality is very poor though staff are very friendly and do their best to help. Beds were the hardest we have ever slept on, we asked for extra pillows to lie on to have something softer to lie on. We did complain about the swimming pool - basically it was too hot to swim in during the day. We were told that it was because the climate is "equatorial" and the pool would cool down by the end of the day. Have never experienced that in many holidays in the hottest parts of the world! Luckily the beach was lovely. Also, you are basically stuck in a part of the bay which contains only large resorts - its too far from town to make trips there with kids a viable option.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
YalongBay, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Resort Sanya Yalong Bay, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank you for your comments and choosing stay in Holiday Inn. We will pay more attention on English training. Wish you have a nice trip in Sanya!

Reviewed January 8, 2011

Okay.........Bottom line.
Ignore previous reviews about location being perfect. POSITION is great, yes, I agree. Right on the beach.
LOCATION is not so great and because this hotel and her neighbours are sooooo very expensive, you are faced with a 1 hour taxi drive to Sanya where restaurant prices are about 20% cheaper. Eating at this hotel was around 4 or 5 times more than Shanghai. Example.....................simple portion of egg fried rice in the hotel was £8:50. Crazy!!!!!!!!
I don't mind paying "Top Dollar" if what is presented is worth it. But quality was mediocre and the portions very small indeed. The restaurant at level -1 was grubby and very smokey.
Breakfast was not much fun. Trying to find the least smokey area. Food layout badly planned. Egg dishes preparation was out on a limb. So were the cereals. Hot food here cold food there. Nightmare. Good exercise I suppose.
The entire hotel is smokey.. Even the loos and lifts. Our room 436 smelled of smoke for 5 days before the smell either cleared or we just got used to it. Our room did not have a sea view. That was an extra £55 per night. Instead we overlooked the bus staion and the inevitable noise of horns blasting all day. My son's "power naps" were often broken because of this noise. We didn't even have a balcony so drying swim wear etc was almost impossible.
Hotel staff were very good. Polite and friendly.
Spitting everywhere and I don't mean just saliva. I mean phlegm. Discusting. From the guy I saw on the stairs from level 1 to level -1 on his way to the beach.
Then there is the hotel's fenced off section of beach. Spitting was prolific. Not safe for my 3 year old son to dig in the sand, that's for sure.
Even the hotel's beach security were constantly spitting.
Most of the pvc sun lounges were splitting and therefore very dangerous.
Swimming in the sea was restricted to a 50 meter x 50 meter area with the remaining stretches of beach reserved for the noisy, smelly and outright dangerous jetskis and little speed boats. A rusting jetty that stretched about 150 meters in to the sea added to the poor standard of Yalong Bay.
Local supermarket prices are extortionate too. Example:- M&Ms in Shanghai are £0.33 per packet compared to £1.60 at the supermarket. Kiddies ice cream in Shanghai £0.25 compared to £1.10 at the supermarket.
Will we ever go back or recommend this hotel or even the resort!!!!!!!!!! NEVER.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank YunandJohn
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I am not sure really where to start on my experience at the Holiday Yalong Bay.

I was here for only a night with a friend, but by the time we checked out we had a long list of complaints.

Our visit started with the front desk losing our reservation. Beyond this when they finally found it, they insisted that we take a twin room. They explained that there were no king rooms available. When I showed them that my reservation had offered the flexibility of either a king or twin room, a king room "magically" became available.

Our biggest frustration with the hotel was the new years celebration. it was VERY expensive and very poorly planned. We had been told by the hotel that we should book early because the event was to be crowded. When we arrived at the celebration we found the reality to be quite different. And given the poor planning of the event most people left early. My friend and I actually left to take a break from the event and wanted to return for new years countdown, but when we got outside at 11PM the whole event had been shut down and cleared. It must have ended very early.

We voiced our complaints with the management who did refund half of the cost of the tickets, but this in itself was frustrating at it essentially required a 3 hour negotiation.

The hotel is on nice beachfront, but for some reason all of the Chinese package holidays camped out on the hotel's beach making it very crowded. Also, if you want alternatives to being on the beach, look elsewhere, because there are none.

We tried to do the scuba diving at the hotel which unprofessionally made us negotiate a price. (Remember this is supposed to be a 5 star hotel). Whats more the whole scuba experience was the worst of my life. My dive guide did really know how to dive. But, the most frustrating thing was that they gave me a half a tank of air to dive with. Unprofessional, to say the least.

The one last frustration was that housekeeping started knocking on our door at 8 am even with the do no disturb sign up.

This hotel offered frustrations at every step and I do not recommend anyone visiting it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank snowblader1412
Reviewed December 24, 2010

We decided to stay in the Holiday Inn, Yalong Bay mainly because of the location. The location is great, it's right on the beach with a great pool and beach swimming area. It also appeared to be good value considering what other hotels in the same bay charges.

The staff were friendly and helpful, though we found it very hard (even though we speak Mandarin fairly) to get them to understand that we needed extra duvets and pillows.

What bothered me the most was the quality of the included breakfast and the cleanliness of the main restaurant. Staying in a Holiday Inn I expected a decent, clean, no frills breakfast. What we got was a restaurant that reeked of stale food and old cooking oil and the food tastes just plain old and not good at all. There was a constant "old curry" smell that hovered over everything. The smell on entering the restaurant was enough to ruin our appetites for the rest of every day. The floor of the restaurant was also extremely dirty and during our one week stay it did not appeared to be cleaned at all. It was slippery with all the grime. I spent the last day in my room with a vicious stomach bug and I am convinced that it relates directly to the poor level of restaurant hygiene and food we expereiences.

The room was fair value for money. It was clean and had a great view of the ocean. The kids had lots of fun in the indoor play area and enjoyed the beautiful pool and beach.

The other strange thing is that if you book online you do not get an option for a "smoke free floor" or even a "no-smoking room". The hotel has two non smoking floors but it is not possible to book a room on these floors online, simply because it appears to be a smoking only hotel.

Would I recommend it? Probably but with a word of caution: if you are concerned about hygiene in a kitchen/restaurant I would think twice to go there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2010

The is is very tired and worn out hotel. As many of the other reviews date back to 2007 back then maybe it was one of the better hotels. By todays standards no where near up to scratch. The floors are softer than the beds, jacuzzi by the pool out of order, water slide for my dausghter out of order. The weather was poor which only emphasised this hotels poor standard as they had very littler entertainment indoors. Regret not paying more and going for a true 5 star hotel!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family