“nice services”

Ranked #17 of 1,333 Hotels in Sanya
Singapore, Singapore
“nice services”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Although the stay was not that fantastic but the services provided especially in china is superb
and was being followed up on the uupdated info and valuable info provided.
only bad thing is the location in which if need to go out will need to hire private cab instaed of meter cab which is slightly ex. but overall for a resort and relaxation place is highly recommended and do look for Sandy for is the assistant manager is superb .

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kerryytheng
Claire l, Public Relations Manager at Anantara Sanya Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear kerryytheng, thanks for your comments. Our hotel is located in the Xiaodonghai district; it’s a very quiet place for vacation. We provide free shuttle bus for our guests to Luhuitou Square, Dadonghai Square, Xiayangtian square (China Duty Free). And also you can call taxi or hire private cab. We will continue to improve our service, and look forward to welcoming you again. Best wishes.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed June 23, 2014

Our family recently stayed at the 800sqm 2-bedroom beachfront villa of this resort. Having had remarkably exceptional experiences at the 2 previous Anantara resorts of Phuket Mai Khao and Koh Samui Bophut, we naturally had some expectations of this resort. Unfortunately, after 2 nights stay here (with 2 remaining), we have decided that this is one resort we will never return to,

I have to applaud this resort for the stunningly beautiful landscaping within the resort grounds. You can always see gardeners working under the hot sun, trying to keep the grounds in the impeccable condition. However, unlike the other Anantara resorts that I had stayed in, the staff on the grounds don't greet their guests and don't offer their smiles. It's almost as if guests are invisible.

The villa is enormous but is separated into 3 separate villas. The living room is detached from the two bedrooms on either side, making it quite a pain to walk from one to another. There is no in-room phone for us to call each other within the villa so one always has to keep walking in and out to get to the other room. The bathroom is especially worth a mention with the spacious vanity sinks and the crafted wooden panels. The outdoor tub is huge in size and surrounded by lush vegetation.

Both the private and public swimming pools are spacious and very welcoming in the sweltering heat. The private pool however is quite packed almost at all times of the day, except when it gets dark. It could be because of the Father's Day weekend and so the resort had a lot of guests with small kids.

Lobby had the doors wide open so all air-conditioning was not felt. Check-in also a bit messy and clearly having only one receptionist on duty is way understaffed. Throughout our stay, we felt that this resort is severely understaffed. Reception had 2 staff on duty on most days which was barely enough.On one morning, even the Shi Yuan restaurant saw only 2 people on duty. I find this quite unusual for a resort with such a high occupancy rate. To my surprise, many of these staff are so new that they are just at the resort for over a week. The housekeepers are interns who are about to return to school after their internship ends. This is why the housekeeping quality is so bad. It's so painful everyday as they do housekeeping. We had to stay in the villa to tell them what to do or clean up. Besides from making the bed, changing towels, they do not do anything else. Cups were not washed, living and dining area totally ignored, toothpick left on the beside table also not cleared etc. In the end we stayed around to help point out what else had to be done. I was missing a bar of soap and it was not given to me until I voiced it out on the third day.

I can't fault the hardware aspect of this resort but the soft skills are definitely lacking. More training is an imperative! We are not asking for them to anticipate our needs and requests but having to be acting like a supervisor to give directions on how and where to clean is quite absurd.

Breakfast variety is limited and the bacon looks and tastes weird. The Saturday night BBQ is quite limited in variety too and the fish and prawn are so small and stinks. It is definitely not worth the price.

We tried their spa on 3 occasions and that is the one thing we are quite happy about. The treatment rooms are spacious and cosy. The specialists are professional and attentive. There's only one held back that too much natural lighting came in from the windows that had no curtains. It made resting in peace a little difficult without the eye masks.

The resort had a shuttle bus arrangement with the Intercontinental and Serenity Coast next door. We only made use of it once because the shuttle bus was too packed and when it came to Anantara, there were no more seats left.

We saw the General Manager on a few occasions in the restaurant and at the front lobby. However, he did not offer to make contact and looked stern and cold, so much a difference from when we met with the then GM Mr Christian Gerart of Anantara Phuket. We do not feel welcomed or treated with warmth. On the morning of the second day, we heard the GM telling the staff at the restaurant that her coffee is too sweet and that he was giving her face by ordering the coffee. He would not order the coffee anymore when he next comes. I'm not sure if he knew that he was seated somewhere near guests and that guests can hear his comments. How good can it be when a GM makes a bad remark about the beverage offered at their own resort? What kind of impression will it leave upon guests?

Overall, the resort remains in tiptop condition in terms of the landscaping and size. The villas need a bit more care and refurnishing especially at the corners. Housekeeping really ought to be trained. We found someone's used pair of swimming trunks in the vase in the villa. Please work on the service levels. As the housekeepers are interns/students/temps, it is also quite difficult to match with the previous experience. We also lost some valuables in the villa and reported to the resort but they said they could not find the items. This is very saddening and unlike any Anantara resort we've stayed at. When we hopped over to Intercontinental for a stroll, the service quality there amazed us and made Anantara pale so much in comparison. Even though we were not guests of Intercontinental, they were friendly, smiling and offered suggestions and advice. They even offered to bring us back in their buggy so that we need not walk under the scorching sun. That's anticipating needs. That was what Anantara did for us in Phuket and Koh Samui, Unfortunately, the same cannot be said of Anantara Sanya.

This is one resort we will never return to again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
11 Thank Ms_1226
Reviewed June 20, 2014

The hotel (building and the room) is beautiful but the food and service were very bad. Very limited choices in the buffet breakfast and taste not good. Many flys around the food table.
The room is not clean enough.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katie C
Claire l, Public Relations Manager at Anantara Sanya Resort, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Katie C,
Thanks for your comments; your comments are valuable for us. We will continue to improve our food and service quality. Our Shi Yuan restaurant offers a wide range of choice for breakfast. Currently we have added lots of new items for breakfast. The guests can enjoy fresh vegetable and fruit juice, as well as chilled juice, and we have croissant butler during breakfast time. We hope you can come again and we would like to offer you an ideal vacation that you had looked forward to with Anantara.
Beijing, China
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The pick up service, arrival greeting and attentive service throughout our stay was exceptional. Room standard excellent and surrounding amenities well cared for and staff always available for any request. Restaurant choice suited our taste and the variety is very good. Cocktail sessions, bike tour, beach beds and superb massage facility made the stay a really pleasant experience, to be repeated as soon as possible. Able to use hotel account at neighbouring hotels make extra choice for dining easy.

Room Tip: Deluxe room, seaview with balcony and extra terrace if availabel gives an outdoor extension to an al...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Claire l, Public Relations Manager at Anantara Sanya Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear Robert, we are pleased to learn of your wonderful stay with us and how much you enjoyed your time during the cooking class, bike tour…look forward to welcoming you again.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We used to love their restaurant. Everytime we had family or friends visiting us we try to go to the Thai Baan Rim Nam Restaurant, however the service experience the last 3 time had not been good, I do not know what had happen they had a Thai manager that was very good and speak english not any more, the server are very nice but their english level is not good, one of the times we try to order sparkling water (perrier, San pellegrino, or whatever brand) and there was no way they understood what we wanted when we showed them the picture they said ok but never brought it to the table, that same time they set the tea cups but never brought the tea, we order of the menu a food item that we always order and showed them on the menu what we wanted but they brought something totally different, among other little things. Yesterday (april18th/2014) I went with my friends to have lunch all I order was a large glass of fresh watermelon juice (they serve the watermelon juice on small glasses) so since that was all I was having I ordered a large glass... well they brought a Pitcher of juice to the table at that point we said is ok just leave it we will drink it. I had to leave earlier and I asked the girl if she can give me the check for the juice only and I went with her to the bar to pay once there after she figure out how to make the check and etc she gave me a check in Chinese for 259 RMB!!! I though she got confuse and told her I was only paying for the watermelon and she said "I know" so I asked her 3 more times are you sure? Is only the watermelon juice pitcher 259 RMB is a lot is USD $43.00 and she said Yes well I had to go somewhere else and had no time ...so I paid my bill. Talking to friends they thought it might be a confusion so I called today and asked to speak to the restaurant manager after 3 people came to the phone I finally talked to the manager and she said that there was no mistake that what they did was to calculate that the pitcher might hold 6-8 small glasses that are 45RMB each and that is how the got the total price .Are you kidding me?? $43 USD for a Pitcher of watermelon juice I would highly suggest they get a bit more realistic about their prices . I totally feel taken advantage of and I'm still shocked about this price ...... Not to mentioned that we were the only table in the restaurant and the service was not good they forgot to bring 2 of the plates we order and we had to asked them again for them so a couple of friends had to wait for their food while the others were eating
I do not think I'm are coming back ... Sad it was one of my favorite places here in Sanya

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alona13
Claire l, Public Relations Manager at Anantara Sanya Resort, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear Alona, your comments is valuable for us. We have investigated this issue, and we will strengthen the training for our staff. Hope we can serve you better next time. Thank you!
Hong Kong
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I just came back from a 3 day stay at the Anantara in Sanya. The hotel itself is quite small (in comparison to Intercontinental right next door), but it had all the features of a resort. Kids club, Spa, restaurant, Gym and pools.

The first meal we had was a mistake as the Chinese food served was quite bad, but later we tried the western food and the thai cuisine was fantastic. Food and drinks by the pool was ok.

The star of our trip would be the staff at Front desk as they took it upon themselves to ensure that we were looked after. We required connecting rooms and they made the arrangements on the spot and then we had some mosquito issues and they took care of it right away. I'd like to thank Sandy and Judy for assisting with this.

I would say this resort is worth it's price and is situated well with its private beach would be worth 3 stars, but Sandy and Judy would be 5 stars! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Albert L
Claire l, Public Relations Manager at Anantara Sanya Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Albert Lee, thank you so much to share your experience at Anantara Sanya and also thank you for your praise for our staff, we are very happy that you got good service from them. As a small resort, we only have 122 rooms, suites& villas which enable a splendid and quiet space for relaxing. Meanwhile, we have the outstanding Spa and the authentic Thai food in Sanya, as well as the fine facilities for recreation, such as Gym, Yoga room, kid’s Club, Bars, swimming pool with Jacuzzi, hot tub…, looking forward to seeing you soon!
Best Regards
Claire Li(Marketing Communications Manager)
Shanghai, China
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I recently travelled to the Anantara Sanya with my wife and two young children. Many things were wonderful about the hotel, but overall we were very disappointed.

We liked many things about the hotel. The grounds are beautiful. The swimming pool is very nice as is the beach. Our son loved playing at the Kids' Club. And the staff is very attentive to children and made it really easy to stay there with them.

So, why the low rating? Two reasons. Service and food.

The food was hit or miss. Breakfast was really good, but lunch and dinner were mediocre. We ate some really great things but also had some terrible things. It was really hard to predict what would be good and what wouldn't. On the whole, Asian food (Chinese and Thai) was better than Western food, but that wasn't always the case.

But, most disappointing was our inability to communicate with the staff. The overall service was good in person. The staff was very friendly and tried hard to help. Jimmy at the pool was great as was housekeeping. But, it was a nightmare talking to the staff over the phone in English. Even staying in smaller hotels (not 5 star, international chains) in small cities in China were easier than at the Anantara.

Now, we are in China. It would be too much to expect that each and every staff member speak fluent English. However, when staying at a 5-star, internationally reputable chain, you would expect to always be able to reach someone who could help. I am not talking about special requests (crazy food allergies, strange room preferences) just simple basic things that are part of a nice resort. We speak some Chinese and would try to use it to communicate whenever possible, but the number of problems we encountered due to this issue was unbelievable. Twice it took 40 minutes to place a room service order of pasta and tomato sauce. Once it took 20 minutes to ask for an early turndown service so the kids could go to sleep. And these are just a few examples.

The staff answering the phone were not trained in basic terminology such as "turndown service," "housekeeping," "room service," etc. Now, this in and of itself did not need to be a problem. There were some staff members who spoke English quite well. But other staff members did not seem to know who they were so there was no guarantee you would get through to someone who could help. Often the person who answered the phone couldn't speak English. So we would ask (in Chinese) to talk with someone who could speak English. And we'd get transferred to someone who couldn't speak any English. So we'd ask (in Chinese) if we could speak to someone who could speak English. And they'd transfer us back to the initial person answering the phones. And then the process would repeat.

I suspect a number of guests have had this problem, as well before we complained about anything, we were told if we wanted anything or if the staff didn't understand us to always ask for the Duty Manager. This could have been a good solution, but the staff would seem baffled at this request. Sometimes they would put us right through. But, too often, they appeared hesitant to comply with the request. They would promise a call back. 20 or 30 minutes would go by with no call back. We'd call again, someone different would answer the phone. Then we'd ask to speak to the duty manager and we'd get right through. When we'd ask the duty manager, they'd say that no one had informed them we were looking for them.

One Duty Manager, Sandy, was excellent. She understood the problems and went out of her way to help us and to anticipate anything that might come up. She was really one of the best, most attentive managers I've come across in all my travels. But when she was not there, things really fell apart.

I truly believe that the problem lies not in the staff themselves, but in management's inability to properly train the staff working the phones and to coherently address this issue. If management can properly identify the English speakers on their staff and then make sure the rest of the staff knows who they are, I believe a lot of these issues would go away.

It is unfortunate that such a simple issue marred our stay at the hotel as there were so many other wonderful things at Anantara. If you speak fluent Chinese, I would highly recommend the hotel. If you don't, though, I would find somewhere else to stay.

Room Tip: The Spa Pool Villa was very nice and we highly recommend spending extra for it. Note that the rooms...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank P25J23
Claire l, Public Relations Manager at Anantara Sanya Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your valuable comments and constructive suggestions to our Resort. We are glad that you like our pool, kids club, breakfast, grounds…But it was a pity that our staff English communication took you some trouble. We have discussed this in meeting and taken immediate action to strengthen the English training as well as the communication skills. We hope you can come again and we would like to offer you an ideal vacation that you had looked forward to with Anantara .

Best Regards