If it were a Westin I would definitely give it 5/5, but being a St Regis, it needs to be better.
I have to admit that this is my first stay at a St Regis property. Interestingly, COFCO, the state-owned food processing giant, which actually developed the whole Yalong Bay area, owns this St Regis (and Waldorf Astoria Beijing and W Beijing). Coincidentally, the BREAKFAST buffet at Social restaurant was among the BEST I'd ever had. We also had lunch at the Chinese restaurant and a late afternoon meal at Social, both INEXPENSIVE (compared to other Sanya 5-star resorts) and considerably tasty. That is a huge plus when you do not want to be toasted under the sun finding a place to eat outside the resort.
The architecture and the garden are huge but may need some better design choices. What is going on with the UGLY yellow columns and turtle shell shaped roof? The hallway in the West Wing where we stayed was dark and weirdly too wide and empty. The room was very spacious but again felt a little bit empty. I guess it is a personal preference, but I'd prefer more artsy settings. We only got a Marina/Port View room, and there are lots of yachts downstairs. I'm not saying I love it, but it is not that bad.
What really disappointed me was the BUTLER. Did not bother to remember his name, but he had a grumpy and impatient face when he showed up after I called to ask about the amenities and activities in the resort. He mentioned that we could rent a yacht but his facial expression and his tone indicates his belief that I probably could not afford it. Never called him again after that. Service wise, David and Bruce at the front desk were both very helpful and kind when they helped my mom dealing with a minor medical situation. We also got a late 4pm check-out, which was cool.
At this time of the year, we got a relatively attractive rate at the St Regis. But after visiting the Ritz nearby, I realized maybe it would be a better choice to add some money to stay there. It looked a lot better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort is ideally situated on a generous stretch of the most coveted location on Yalong Bay, with exclusive access to more than 800 meters of pristine coastline. A resort unlike any other on Hainan, the St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort offers wide appeal across a variety of audiences – from business executives to couples seeking romance to families seeking a fun and relaxing vacation. The resort is exquisitely designed with luxury in mind, offering 396 contemporary guest rooms including 28 beachside villas. The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort offers a world of epicurean experiences, with three full-service restaurants, a wine bar, and a tea room. In addition, the St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay will be the only resort in Sanya that offers the signature St. Regis butler service to all guests, as well as South China’s first Iridium Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Booking.com, Hotwire, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Hotel Sanya
- The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort Hainan