“Needs to be better to live up to St Regis name”

The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort
Ranked #11 of 1,346 Hotels in Sanya
Beijing, China
“Needs to be better to live up to St Regis name”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

If it were a Westin I would definitely give it 5/5, but being a St Regis, it needs to be better.

I have to admit that this is my first stay at a St Regis property. Interestingly, COFCO, the state-owned food processing giant, which actually developed the whole Yalong Bay area, owns this St Regis (and Waldorf Astoria Beijing and W Beijing). Coincidentally, the BREAKFAST buffet at Social restaurant was among the BEST I'd ever had. We also had lunch at the Chinese restaurant and a late afternoon meal at Social, both INEXPENSIVE (compared to other Sanya 5-star resorts) and considerably tasty. That is a huge plus when you do not want to be toasted under the sun finding a place to eat outside the resort.

The architecture and the garden are huge but may need some better design choices. What is going on with the UGLY yellow columns and turtle shell shaped roof? The hallway in the West Wing where we stayed was dark and weirdly too wide and empty. The room was very spacious but again felt a little bit empty. I guess it is a personal preference, but I'd prefer more artsy settings. We only got a Marina/Port View room, and there are lots of yachts downstairs. I'm not saying I love it, but it is not that bad.

What really disappointed me was the BUTLER. Did not bother to remember his name, but he had a grumpy and impatient face when he showed up after I called to ask about the amenities and activities in the resort. He mentioned that we could rent a yacht but his facial expression and his tone indicates his belief that I probably could not afford it. Never called him again after that. Service wise, David and Bruce at the front desk were both very helpful and kind when they helped my mom dealing with a minor medical situation. We also got a late 4pm check-out, which was cool.

At this time of the year, we got a relatively attractive rate at the St Regis. But after visiting the Ritz nearby, I realized maybe it would be a better choice to add some money to stay there. It looked a lot better.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
St_Regis_Sanya, General Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear “EXZX”,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay at St Regis Sanya and for taking time to share your experience.

I was delighted to read your kind comments and to know that you were satisfied with our culinary offerings (especially for the breakfast and lunch). Our Chef and his team were very happy with this feedback

Meanwhile, allow me to express my sincerest apology in terms of our butler service. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience. We have just recruited a new Chief Butler – a key appointment to our team. I am committed to working with him and the team so that we review our processes – and provide training to all members of the team so that they have all the skills needed to provide the very best service to our guests.

Thank you once again for your detailed comments and constructive feedback. Thank you especially for your warm words on David and Bruce – I think you made their day! We are looking forward to welcome you back in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will be as enjoyable as the last.

Anne Scott

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bangalore
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Pros : make no mistake this is 7 * s all the way. the rear of the hotel extends all the way into the beach, has a football , volleyball play area. Very good pool ( transparent deep end wall ) private pools for every room, dining facilities may look smaller as the no. of rooms are more. courteous staff. great views from any of the rooms. huge rooms and still bigger bathrooms. yacht marina is a very time pass.

Cons : reaching this hotel in yalong bay from the airport is a tough task if you speak only english and don't have a Chinese companion. Pls. pay ONLY 98 RMB to this hotel. If i say the free wifi sucks, am being generous. the AC in the room competes with wifi to see who is more incompetent. once you get into this hotel, its cumbersome to get to the city and then comeback. the gym is minuscule compared to the no. of rooms the hotel has. I guess their idea (which is , i believe true to some extent also ) wealthy Chinese people come here and lock themselves into the rooms and don't venture outside other than the beach. The Spa is NOT free. the rides in the beach are meant strictly for the haves only itseems. prices are a steal.

Room Tip: rooms in the west wing will get you the marina view. but all the rooms have their own PoV. too good...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Gop G
St_Regis_Sanya, General Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, June 4, 2014
Dear “Gop G”,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your stay and taking time to share your experience. We appreciate your valued feedback which is integral as we journey towards improving guest experience at our hotel.

I was delighted to learn that you satisfied with our room facilities, beach activities, central pool and yacht marina etc. Your warm words are most appreciated.

I was very concerned to read your comment regarding the WiFi and AC in the room etc. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. Wifi is the focus of a current upgrade project to improve both signal strength and speed. We have a further project on coverage. I know that this is important. I am sad to know that your AC did not offer the level of comfort expected. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience and I can fully understand your disappointment concerning the same.

Thank you once again for your detailed comments and constructive feedback.
Please allow me to be of service in the future. If your travel schedule ever brings you to Sanya again, please do contact me anne.scott@stregis.com

Anne Scott
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 16, 2014

Currently staying at St Regis, and to put this in perspective, stayed at St Regis Florence last year, which was one of the best hotels, for service, and quality of rooms and food I have stayed in, but at a price nearly three times as much. Easter is a great time to come to Sanya with its great weather, and the hotel being in off season, with no Easter break for mainlanders, we have the copious facilities pretty much to ourselves. From being picked up by the hotel car, wet towels and water at the ready, things started smoothly. Tip to hotel, chill the water for that extra mile. We got greeted by more wet towels, a welcome fruit drink, and small leather bags for the kids with metal water flasks which a nice touch. Check in , was at the room. Staying in lagoon room, where you can just step out of room straight onto your own deck, and then into a 1.3m moat like swimming pool that surrounds ground floor rooms. Again great for the kids, where you can relax on sun loungers whilst kids can swim in water that's not too deep to get them into trouble. Room is fine, big bathroom, with large tub and huge shower, electric drapes, approx 70 sq meters in total so plenty of room. One inconsistency is turn down service, some nights you get, some you don't, some times you get the Ferraro rocher , sometimes you don't, sometimes you get slippers laid out, other times, no.
One thing with St Regis is the butler service, I know about the unpacking service, but they should tell you. Where they did go that extra mile was to hook up a BPL football match for me via a hotel laptop, when the matches are not shown on their normally on their TV channels, really appreciated. The hotel is massively kid friendly with free meals from special menus for kids under 10, if you are an SPG member, don't worry you can sign up on the spot if required.
4 main restaurants, Social, main cafe with awesome buffet breakfast, Ming Xuan, good Chinese restaurant, Driftwood, best of the lot, seafood grill and Decanter, a French disaster. Lets just review the highs and lows. Driftwood in the east wing, near the private beach, serves high quality grilled food, special mention to great service from Connie Wang, though not cheap, they did go extra mile. Wife wanted a ribeye, which they were out of, so they cut up a porterhouse for two, to give her the portion she wanted, at the ribeyes price. I had very nice fresh turbot, plainly grilled, we will go back before, end of our stay.
Decanter, started with a boullabaisse, seafood in it was fine, but no tomatoe or saffron detected, wife's pork terrine, was something to made up from pork leftovers. Next had a wagyu chateaubriand, which was bland, and served with mayonnaise, instead of the Bernaise sauce as per the menu ! Wife had herb crusted lamb rack which was fine. Side dish of potatoe au gratin, seemed to be just covered with slices of cheddar and melted. Considering hotel has a German?, executive chef, this was poorly executed.
Other facilities include, a great infinity pool, another large pool with water slides, pools all have freely available water, and we got some nice free water melon., private beach has water sports equipment for hire, as well as usual sun loungers. Was a seafood restuarant guy, hawking the beach for business who seemed pretty friendly with attendants on the beach, pretty low rent.
We used the kids club, free if adults attend, or rmb80 per hour per kid, if you need to leave them behind, other places I been to use a full or half day charge for this.
Smoke alarm woke us up, as guy in next room was smoking, nice touch by duty manager, Bruce Xian, brought us large bowl of fruit to apologize.
Generally great place for kids, come in off season, they really try hard on service, but its not quite international St. Regis standard, huge lack of English amongst staff doesn't help. We found a receptionist who couldn't speak English, that I find amazing. When we tried to break a rmb100 note at currency counter, person at desk didn't keep any change at his desk. The free shuttle bus service to certain areas, you need to book 24 hours in advance, which is fair enough in off season, but when we booked, they provided a Buick 6 seater for the 4 of us, to then cram another family of 3 in. Did they book the bus? If in that case larger bus please, or if not, I'm sorry but there should be safety once runs in over loading a car. Would I stay here again? , 50/50 at moment, but still 2 days to go !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank hit16
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review regarding your recent stay at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort. We hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are delighted to learn that you satisfied with our room facilities, butler service etc. Your affirmative is most appreciated.

Meanwhile, we have noted your comments regarding the turn down service, dishes in Decanter, lack of English staff, shuttle bus service etc. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience and we can fully understand your disappointment concerning the same. Rest assured that we'll try our best to improve the shortages what you mentioned.

Thank you once again for your detailed comments and constructive feedback, we do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will beyond your expectation.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed March 11, 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for a friend's wedding. The hotel itself looked nice and we had a big and comfortable room. However, the service ruined our entire experience. From the moment we arrived, nothing went right. We waited 30 minutes in line just to check in and then we were told that our room wasn't ready yet. Since we had arrived before the official check-in time, we were fine with that, but then something weird happened. They gave us keys to our room and they took our luggage and asked us to follow them. They took us to our room, opened the door, and showed us that it wasn't clean yet. They put our luggage in there and told us to have lunch and that they would text message us when the room was clean. I found it extremely strange that they would escort us to a dirty room and give us keys to it. Any other hotel would have put our luggage at the concierge desk and told us to return in a few hours when the room was ready. So then we went to have some lunch while we waited and decided to try the western restaurant. Service at the restaurant was extremely slow and rude, and the food tasted terrible. After finishing lunch we still hadn't gotten any text about our room, but since we already had the key we went to check it out. It had been cleaned, but we never got a text all day. The staff needs to be trained better and they definitely need to be taught some basic English. The next day we tried the Chinese restaurant, Ming Xuan, and the food and service was much better compared to the western restaurant. Unfortunately, that is not enough to make us come back. Overall, the quality of service and experience we had at this hotel did not meet our expectations for a St. Regis. Our friends who were also staying there for the wedding also did not enjoy their stay. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Honored Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete the review regarding your recent stay, we hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

First of all, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect.

We are concerned that you have left with such a disappointed and negative feeling about our resort and we sincerely regret that we have failed to meet your expectations. We have noted your comments regarding the check in process and service. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience and we can fully understand your disappointment concerning the same, the immediate action has been taken to remedy this shortfall which you experienced and to avoid recurrence of the same in the future.

On the behalf of the entire team of The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, we do hope this situation will not mar you whole impression. We sincerely look forward to have opportunity to serve you again for your next trip in Sanya.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Attended a wedding at the hotel and thought the property was fantastic. Loved the children amenities and the thought around that. Breakfast buffet was amazing. Lots of fun and the staff did the best to make us feel at home.....really enjoyable. I would say that whilst there were some absolutely brilliant staff (butler who is studying hotel management was very good), but there were continual issues with service delivery being slow, drinks not coming, lunch menu around the pool was very poor and no snacks if people wanted to have something before dinner. There was little anticipation from the staff which you would expect normally from a St Regis property....so go, enjoy but go with being patient in mind as you can wait 30 mins for a drink around the pool, forgotten lunch orders, etc....lovely place though...

Room Tip: They're all good actually, villas are stunning, ask for room 1117 - corner villa great pool and...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Nickjcthompson
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Honored Guest,

We are truly glad to know that you enjoyed our resort and had a pleasant stay, and we are disappointed to find out that we failed to meet with your expectations on the issues you’ve mentioned.

We have noted your comments regarding the service delivery. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience and we can fully understand your disappointment concerning the same.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will be as amazing as the last.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Arrived here tonight so you would say it's too early to review but have already experienced a lot and decided to jot it down. The St. Regis in Sanya is a beautiful resort with a very spacious layout and that is great. Lush gardens, large lobby, very wide corridors and very spacious room. This is all fantastic; I consider space a true luxury.

I have a suite which is very large. Decoration could be more daring but hey; St. Regis wants to be classic. A great bathroom and - I have never seen that - even a selection of glossy magazines... in the toilet!

The staff are all very kind... But very inexeperienced. Knowledge of English is really limited. My "butler" - included when you book a suite - was waiting for me in the airport, and that is very pleasant. Upon check-in, all was still OK. In the suite, the butler doesn't know the way and could not find the room service menu. When I ordered, it was very hard to order some bread with my salad - and actually it never arrived. I called Guest Services again, this time to ask for the WiFi password. The staff member did not know what to answer and I was put on hold for very long until a colleague of hers explained me - the internet connection itself is fine BTW.

When my salad arrived, there was no bread. Calling Room Service did not help... I was put on hold, someone else picked up, and told me "we don't serve bread at night".

All in all I feel that everyone at the St. Regis in Sanya does his very very best, however the staff is just not experienced. They are not familiar with routines such as the internet connection, a simple room service order, et cetera. Other than that, my first impression is that this is a fantastic hotel where you will certainly have a great time with your family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank rogiervanderheide
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Honored Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed our layout, spacious rooms, your affirmative is most appreciated.

Besides, we have noted your comments regarding the experience of staff. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. Rest assured that immediate action has been taken to remedy this shortfall in service which you experienced and to avoid recurrence of the same in the future.

Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you in the future and certainly hope that your next stay will beyond your expectation.

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Travelled from London via Hong Kong with our 14 year old son in July. Stayed for a week. Never been to Sanya before and we don't speak Mandarin. Staff at hotel couldn't have been nicer or looked after us better. We had a lovely butler, Sherley. Room was lovely - ocean view. Hotel grounds are huge and beautifully looked after. Swimming pools were great fun. One is a family pool with slides. Other is an infinity pool looking out to sea. Food was great especially at Decanter, where we had an amazing meal. Buffets at Social and Driftwood were also excellent -very high standard and wide selection. Beach and beach bar good. We left the hotel twice. Once to go to local town and the other to go to Ritz Carlton for dinner next door - which was also good. I used the spa - very good - comparable to anything in London or NYC. As a family we have stayed at Fairmont in Maui several times and St Regis Sanya is in the same league. St Regis delivered exactly what we wanted, a lovely relaxing family holiday; good facilities, lots to do and great food. Thanks to all the staff at St Regis Sanya.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better ocean view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BBBreading
St_Regis_Sanya, Manager at The St. Regis Sanya Yalong Bay Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Honoured Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the review, we hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are delighted to learn that you had a wonderful stay with us and enjoyed our room, swiming pools and foods, we have conveyed your compliments to all the staff members and they are certainly pleased to see that their efforts are so well appreciated.

Your valuable feedback is important to ensure that we continually deliver the ultimate experience St. Regis is renowned for and exceed your expectations for future visits. Thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and looking forward to welcoming you back.