“wonderful stay at renaissance”

Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 1,347 Hotels in Sanya
Reviewed July 3, 2014

My friends and I stayed here for three nights. It was our graduation trip, planned to escape from the city crowds and have a relaxing holiday.

It was so fortunate to meet everyone here. All the staffs are very friendly, helpful and nice. We felt being warm welcomed in these days. Everyone was able to converse in English.

The room is huge with an excellent ocean view. It is amazing to have this wonderful view when I open the eyes in every morning. The bed was very comfortable, we have spent whole afternoon sleeping on it.

Food of ird and restaurant was good. The morning buffet in restaurant was a bit crowded but the food was very nice and full of Hainan features.

Special thanks to the resident manager Larry, concierge Bill and Darren. They did their best to create a memorable experience for us and even wowed us.
Larry remembered us immediately when we first met in lobby. He treated us like VIPs – even it was our first time to visit this hotel and none of us are the marriott member. Bill, cool face but an enthusiastic heart, brought us through the site and introduced the hotel facilities to us. Darren totally demonstrates the spirit of customer service. He is energetic and always makes the guests feel happy. He was attentive to our needs. They were so responsible and care of their guests even they are off duty. They have suggested some destinations, helped planning our journey and arranged everything for us.

To be honest, the hotel is really far from the airport and downtown, but it is really worth-of-money and time to stay here. The helpful staffs are fabulous.

Overall, the resort brought us an unexpected fantastic experience and we would definitely recommend this hotel for our friends. And... I will visit Sanya again because of renaissance (without any doubt!)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Maggie L
There are newer reviews for Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa

Reviewed July 2, 2014

When I first heard the name, "Renaissance Hotel", I was not expecting much as it was my first time staying here and being in Sanya, Hainan. However, when I arrived, I was taken very much by surprise. The hotel featured great, green landscapes, the beach (but do be aware of the currents and jellyfish) and probably the most well-known attraction- the largest pool in Hai Tang Bay. I used to visit Yalong Bay but currently, this developing bay has caught my attention. The staff told me that the duty free mall is moving 10 minutes away from the hotel. The breakfast bar in the morning is too influenced by Chinese style of cooking and it should be more international. I like the Chinese food at Star Anise and the Thai Cuisine at the Star Fish Market. Besides the pool and restaurants within the hotel, a kid's playroom is always a great way for entertainment. The front desk staff are warm and friendly, but however, needs English communication training. I will visit again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Overall speaking, I have a very good experience during the stay in this hotel. The staff, including front desk, restaurant staff, bell boy, are very friendly. The site is very large with an excellent swimming pool and bench. The R-cade is also a good place to spend a half day there. However, the water pressure of the shower in the first room I stay is far below standard. I have to make few compliant and finally insist for a room change. Finally, it cost me more than an hour to settle this. In the good side, the attitude of the staff to handle this situation is professional.

The staff at the front desk and bell boy is very helpful. I have a good experience at check-in and check out time. The front desk gave me an details explanation of the hotel and a warm welcome. The bell boy was so helpful to arrange the taxi for me.

Room Tip: Sea view room is definitely a good choice
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My daughter and I stayed three nights at this hotel in June. It was definitely the low season but I can't imagine it ever feeling crowded with such large grounds. There was enough to keep us busy throughout the day so that we never left the hotel - even though there is a free shuttle into town. The staff is very friendly and always helpful. Check-in was easy and we were escorted to our room. This was very helpful since the complex can feel like a maze until you get your bearings. Fluency in English from the staff is good enough to attend to any need you might have.

The Pool
The Renaissance Sanya has by far the biggest pool I have seen with plenty of room to find a nice spot almost to yourself. There is a lap pool as well, but no need to swim laps when you can spend a good 20 minutes just circumnavigating the regular pool. The kids pool area has two slides which are fun for toddlers and young children but not the most exciting for teens.

Restaurants
The Red Star is only open for breakfast and has the standard buffet with everything you could ever want. We had dinner twice at the Star Anise. It has a large variety of Chinese dishes. The food was good and the prices reasonable for a hotel restaurant. The Star Fish Bar is a cool "lounge like" area near the beach. We had dinner here our first night and drinks during the day. The menu was not as long as the Star Anise and prices seemed to be higher.

The Kids Club
There are lots of games and toys on hand plus activities scheduled throughout the day. My daughter usually had the attendant to herself for the activities she took part in.

Arcade
The Arcade has a pool table, ping pong, air hockey, bowling alley, Wii, Xbox - anything you would need if you're stuck indoors on a rainy day. The all day pass for 115 Yuan is a good deal.

My one concern when booking this hotel is that there aren't any shops or restaurants within walking distance. This didn't turn out to be a problem during our short stay, but for a longer stay this would be a negative. The shuttle into town is free but it takes up to an hour.

Room Tip: Rooms in the "A" block are close to the lobby and main restaurants. The "C" bloc...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank John a
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I'm an expat living in China for the past few years. I come back to Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa each year because it is amazing. Granted, I've had issues with room service, but the F&B Director, Frank, has been amazing and has truly made my stay wonderful. The pool here is unbelievable and the beach service wonderful. Although the service at times may be faulty, upper management truly have a desire to improve the resort on a daily basis. If you're looking for the best vacation spot in China - you've found it. Love this place and plan on returning in July with friends.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank emmydevine
Reviewed May 13, 2014

When you arrive the hotel is impressive, nice spa and gym, open lobby out to the sea, nice pool and grounds, rooms great and mine looked over the gardens and pool to the sea. Major issue was the service, the team were young and were trying but so many service issues put many of our group off the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Iain A
Reviewed May 11, 2014

China has some fascinating beautiful places but a beach destination it is not:

Sanya is a destination for Chinese tourists trying to market also to westerners. If you are looking for a water experience dont bother as the water is disgusting, dirty and lots of plastics in it.
These monster buildings make it not very personal. I could think of a thousand better destinations to go to.
I can see Sanya bringing conferences hosted by these massive hotels yet is a very hot and humid place to be. If you are planning to go further inland you should be aware that malaria does exist in certain areas.

Folks working at the hotel could not try to be nicer but just is not at international standard yet.

Hope this helps!