“Best swimming pool I've ever seen!”

Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa
Ranked #15 of 1,345 Hotels in Sanya
Egypt
“Best swimming pool I've ever seen!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

I spent 6 nights here with my son and his family. Flew there from Hong Kong, only 1 hour.
On arrival airport there was no car to meet us as pre arranged with the hotel! After several phone calls we were told to take a taxi and hotel would pay. We needed 2 taxis what with 3 adults, 2 kids, a stroller and luggage. I had to smile as what was on the meter when we arrived was twice what the hotel had quoted in travel guide so I'm sure the taxi drivers got paid far less. The staff were most apologetic for the mix up and immediately upgraded us.

My rooms and family's suite were extremely good. Comfortable and spacious with lovely sea view and most important - quiet, except for one night with loud music from garden but it finished by 10pm.

The facilities are very good with lots for children to do. The swimming pool is huge- lots of interconnecting ones that run throughout the complex. The kiddies loved the water slides.
We enjoyed the big cabanas on the beach but I don't think the beach is cleaned very often as found washed up pack of pills, glass and even hypodermic ..... So be careful!

The breakfast and evening buffet were both excellent. The first 2 days there was a conference on in hotel and staff were reluctant to let us eat in the evening buffet. We did so anyway and later we could see why as food vastly improved after the conference had finished! We ate in the Fish restaurant which we enjoyed and also had room service which was good.
There is a lack of signs about the place so it can be difficult to find some amenities but they assured us this was being addressed.

The international terminal had a duty free shop and an awful Burger King that only sold 3 items - no fries, coffee or chicken that wasn't spicy! Terrible! The only place with a/c though as rest of airport has only fans. Tip - go to the domestic terminal which caters for the mainland Chinese which is vastly better!

Weather was lovely but with the usual humidity you expect in Southern China.

Room Tip: I would definitely choose sea view as there's a lot of building going on at back of hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Lynneleanor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed May 1, 2014

Having been told wonderful things about Sanya from my Chinese friends I had high expectations of both the hotel and the area, sadly i was disappointed by both.
The hotel itself look good from a distance however upon closer inspection had some serious issues especially on the cleaning front, the first room i was allocated looked like the tiles had not been cleaned in a few months...
After a room change it was not much better so needless to say I did not walk barefooted on the floor.
The location of the hotel is also not great, there is basically nothing near by except small farms so you need a car if you want to go into Sanya itself.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Riding-Giants
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Although it was a very long flight, 21 hours door to door, yet i was really excited to visit the Hainan Island where Sanya is. But from the first experience, it was a real disappointment. Firstly, resorts like the Renaissance hotel where i was staying is an hour drive from the airport..so you can imagine how hectic that is after a long flight. Once you enter the lobby of the hotel you are welcomed by nice smiling staff yet unfortunately they don't know a single word of English or any other language but Chinese! Checking in staff couldn't communicate as well and it took me a long time to get to know the whereabouts of the hotel. Anyways, i checked into my HUGE nice furnished room with a terrace as big as the room...once i entered the room it was smelly as if it was never used or refreshed ever, i honestly couldn't breath properly and held my breath for a while not knowing what that smell was but probably its from not using the room for a long time. I ordered from the room service a bucket of ice, and after at least 5 minutes trying to explain what ice means the ice came very quickly but the surprise was .. they brought the ice in a plastic bag! I've traveled a lot and for me that was a first! In a five stars resort in a touristic destination and they don't have an ice bucket!?!! Breakfast restaurant is very good yet they have a very small station that has international food and the whole rest of stations with Chinese specialties, so not being fond of having stir fried food, rice, noodles...etc in the morning, i wasn't the happiest guest, although it wasn't really a great deal. On one night i went to the bar to have a drink with friends and the bar tender couldn't understand what Johny Walker black label is so at the end we ordered something else to end the hassle. To top it up the weather in Sanya does not help to do any activities, it was 32 felt at least 40 in the mornings and the humidity is over 80%, at night it was 26 with more humidity...with the lobby, lounges and bars not air conditioned one can't do much. The layout of the resort is beautiful with all the gardens and the huge pool. The building looks new and well designed. The staff, regardless of the communication barrier, are very helpful and always smiling. In general it wasn't the most enjoyable experience and if not forced to visit Sanya for business or so I would not consider going there again.

Room Tip: You need to make sure you have an ocean view room because you will probably spend sometime in you ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank MinoLeo
Renaissancesanya, Resident Manager at Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for your recent stay at Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa and taking time for sharing your experiences with us; your valuable feedbacks and insights will help us to monitor and improve both our services and facilities. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused due to the limited English from some of our ambassadors during your stay, please accept my assurance that we will prioritize and be focusing on improving the overall English level of our ambassadors.

I regret that you could not enjoy the typical tropical climate; we do not air-conditioned public area and it is the common design among hotels in Sanya that encouraging guests to feel the natural environment and tropical climate. However, we do understand many people may not get used to this hot weather.

Thank you again for your insightful comments and we sincerely hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back to stay in Renaissance Sanya Resort & Spa in the near future again. Please feel free to contact the Executive Office by emailing me at: larry.wang@renaissancehotels.com if I can be any of your service. (Resident Manager)
New York
Reviewed April 27, 2014

We had a few communication difficulties with the front desk when we decided to book this hotel in January. My wife eventually asked to speak to the manager and things were sorted out very well indeed. We ended up receiving an upgrade from the normal ocean view rooms to two ocean front junior suites. The rooms were simply amazing and we were quite impressed that the hotel upgraded both of our rooms for the trouble caused a few months before. This is the sign of a hotel who understands the power of word of mouth advertising, which they won't be short of from us now !! And because of the upgrades, we are very likely to return to the Renaissance on our next trip in two years time. That is a certainty.

The pool was the biggest and best pool we have ever encountered anywhere in the world. Our 10 year twins just adored playing in the pool all day.The landscaping around the hotel was amazing as well, it appeared the hotel was built around the masses of trees. Simply a beautiful hotel and very well thought out in terms of its environment.

The hotel staff, though not hugely proficient in English, were simply adorable. They made us feel very welcome and we did appreciate all their efforts on all fronts. To that end, though food service poolside did take some time, the service was very good.

Our ONLY complaint was the very expensive food in the hotel restaurants. As the hotel is not conveniently located to local restaurants or shops, they really have a very captive audience for lunch and dinner and daily needs from the shops (if you have any). This said, the quality of the food was very high, all of which was very well prepared, tasty and superb presentation. The breakfast buffet, in true Asian fashion, is surely not to be missed.

I cannot say enough about the Renaissance. We had one of our best hotel stays ever thanks to this hotel. We would still have been quite keen on the Renaissance even if we did not receive the upgrades, but the upgrades won us over for our future visits to Sanya.

Very good value five-star hotel. Go and see for yourself !!

Room Tip: Ocean front room in Building D and a high floor, ie 5th or above.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank Mr. Bret M
Bangkok
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Renaissance Sanya is a great hotel if you are on a family vacation. It has an expansive, landscaped area with trees, plenty of swimming pools, and fronts a rather clean and nearly deserted beach when I went. It was a shame, then, that I was on a business trip so did not take full advantage of many of the amenities on offer there.
This resort is huge, with I think around 4 separate wings. It was my bad luck to be given a suite that was nearer to the beach than the lobby. Although I had a good view of palm trees (no beach) outside the window, the daily walks to the lobby and restaurants took well over 5-10 minutes each. Not fun on a hot day. Corridors were mostly not air-conditioned and poorly illuminated. I cannot imagine the elderly or someone with motion disability lasting long commuting from place to place.
I was also not a big fan of the hotel's geographical location on Hainan. Sure, you get plenty of R&R being far away from it all. I mean, there is absolutely nothing nearby. No shops, restaurants, sightseeing, etc. When you check in, you are likely to remain there for the duration of your stay. Great if this is what you are after but with so many things to check out on the island, the location becomes a serious impediment to travel.
Service was friendly enough, with "Ni Haus" always apparent. As with 99% of hotels in China, English can be a big challenge of the staff. If you are lucky, then you find someone that can understand you in one go after communicating slowly. Most of the time, though, it was never that easy. Check out was slow because of this. Ordering food was a hit and miss. Even after the translator app I used did not return good results.
The suite I got was outstanding. Two TVs, a DVD player, a large living area, super soft bed and pillows, a top-line capsule coffee machine, and a large, two-sink bathrooms with fine amenities. No complaints here. In fact, room-wise, it was among the best I have stayed in this year.
Cleanliness is an issue with this hotel. To be fair, I do not think the cleaning crew does not try. With the number of guests descending for a major international conference, it was difficult for the Renaissance to keep up a spic-and-span appearance. If many of the patrons would learn to use trash bins provided, I am sure my brief four-night stay would have been more pleasant.
A really positive I must elaborate is the breakfast. Delicious, varied and ultimately satisfying, the food was uniquely memorable. You get Hainanese fare not found elsewhere, as well as the requisite salads, pastries, fresh juices, etc. I give high marks for the food here, which as it should be since you have to basically depend on three meals a day. Another plus was the nice gym. It got some good equipment that I thoroughly enjoyed working out on.
In summary, Renaisasance Sanya can be the perfect family getaway. For business people and those who want to go touring the island, just plan your day carefully.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Chattan_k
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

I love this hotel with beautiful gardens, restaurants, and an attentive staff. There are a few areas that could use improvements, and the most important of these is training the cleaning staff on how to clean and maintain a guest room. The cleaning is sporadic - they might clean the bathroom sink but forget the toilet. Or turn down the bed in the evening, but not pick up dirty dishes or clean what is obviously old dirt and smears on the floor or walls. Again, it's just not consistent - but they are so nice. I wish something also could be done about the mosquitos that come out in droves after sunset and feast on us at the beautiful open bar and restaurant. It's just the little things. But if you can visit this remote China location to relax in a quiet sophisticated environment, you definitely should try it out.

• Stayed April 2014
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel based on the previous reviews here. In short, positives:
- great kids pool with slides and fun area which has suitable depth for different ages
- excellent sitter service at kids club for 58rmb per hour
- nice gardens
- great ocean view
- front office, concierge, pool assistants, cafe red star (Andy and Fanny and a few of the waiters/waitresses) and housekeeping provide good service. Good because a few staff were outstanding but there are a few that wasn't which I will get on to later.
- price of food was very reasonable for cafe red star and room service was efficient.

Things to improve:
- Training of staff, what is customer service and good customer service. At a five star hotel, I would expect this to be tops but unfortunately was rudely received by a reception at Cafe Red Star (Caroline). Not only was her facial expression like she is a superior being without smile and like you are well below her. She also has serious attitude problems in how she treat customers. People don't pay this much for a five star hotel to be treated like that.
- two taps in the toilet next to the cafe doesn't work. Maintenance can be better.
- standard of English. I finished room service and called to ask them to pick up the dishes. They didn't understand. Had to call me back twice to ask me to tell me the request again and the last time I told them "the dishes are left outside the door, please do not call again or ring the door bell because i am going to bed". Then a few minutes later, they rang the door bell and asked me if I need turn down service. So if you don't speak mandarin then you would definitely struggle.

Despite the above, I still enjoyed my stay with the good view, amazing extensive breakfast, great pool and kids facilities.

• Stayed March 2014