“very different experience”

Ranked #14 of 1,347 Hotels in Sanya
Huangshan, China
“very different experience”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

after 8 years again return to sanya for a family reconnect, stayed in gloria sanyabay for few days and it is just as what we can imaging and expected although sanya had really changed lot, had some seafood at local market and thought it is quite fare price at about 150 each person.
but since we got in renaissance it just suddenly brings you to the xanadu, quite a surprise to see such a huge size hotel, lobby not only impressive by the size and you just should not miss the sunset view in there beofre dinner. and we were brought to the presidential suite which is right above the lobby and seeing entire hotel on the top view of the building, that moment you unserstand the luxury of the hotel. the swiming pool is very unique especially in the night, even we have seen that on the picture but seeing in real is totally another story. the beach is good for playing with water rather than swim, however my son likes the sand more than the water, he made his micky mouse army on the beach. that thanks to the server offer us few piece sand toys. food varity is fine as hotel had 3 restaurants, of course the price is be bit high as a 5 star hotel and located in such a remote distance, there is a fishing village a mile away which you can teste the local fresh. still the breakfast and dinner buffet are great and just hope people can value the food and save from the wastage.
hotel room are in a light color theme and we stayed in a very end room to the building but give us very close looking to the ocean, if we stay on the first floor we can have access the garden and beach directly from our balcony.
overall we found a very relax stay in the hotel, quite few things impressed us and made it great impact as i have mentioned by few. for a family stay for few days and to realx is good enough.

Room Tip: taking the room at building end, that gives you a great view and privacy plus easy access to beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ningpo, Zhejiang, China
Reviewed May 4, 2013

First I would like to say, this is the most beautiful resort I have ever stayed at. Well kept, modern, and huge facility. That being said, the service is terrible. My husband and I arrived 3 hours after check-in, exhausted from our travels and our room wasn't ready. We kindly asked if we could get a free drink and sit at the bar while we waited. The reply was, "that is not possible". We did eventually get upgraded to a ocean view room instead, which was great! But it took a bit of convincing before they would do something for us. Then we go down to dinner, we order our meals then decide to order some drinks. I was told, "that's not a good idea, because you are pregnant." (I am not) I was appalled, embarrassed and wanted to leave that place immediately. I'm 5ft 4inches, weighing 140 pounds, with an athletic built (high school and collegiate athlete). I'm a regularly built foreigner, not built like a local Chinese girl. Being a Marriot chain, they have a lot of foreigners visit and should know better.
Swim up bar awesome. Great spot. Expect to wait at least 15 minutes for a drink, bottled beer even. And that's with 1 other couple at the bar. But the staff is extremely hard working. However the system and setup slows down the entire process.
Breakfast and dinner buffet is delicious. So much variety, and changes a little day to day so you won't get bored. But getting anything a la carte isn't that good. And for the price you're paying, it's actually pretty bad. The selection on their menus in all the restaurants are limited too if you don't like seafood. This makes it hard too, since you can't walk anywhere else except the resort for food. Not even a convenience store close by.
In general, this place has a lot of potential. It has all the right pieces, they just need better trained staff and improve their food selection. You come to a beach resort to relax and unfortunately you have to fight and argue to get what you want here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vcoker29
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 29, 2013

When we visited the Renaissance, it was the first big resort on Haitang Bay... there were a couple of local hotels in the vicinity, but this was a pioneer in developing this stretch of beach and turning Sanya into a real tourism powerhouse. Being away from the main part of Sanya, and visiting less than a year after opening meant that the hotel was far from full. On several occasions we had the pool and the rest of the resort to ourselves, only being disturbed by two large corporate groups which spent most of their time in the conference rooms.

We were put off day trips due to the location being so far from a lot of the off-site attractions, but the resort is vast, and the selection of activities is enough to keep most people interested for an indolent 4-5 days; any more and cabin fever may have set in. We took advantage of the bowling alley, the games room, the cinema (a private screening), the spa, and the fantastic restaurants on site. The buffet food available - for breakfast and dinner - is one of the most extensive and high quality I've come across - comparable to the famed Las Vegas buffets.

Staff are genuine and attentive, and always willing to practice their English with you - though not so much that they interfere in your relaxation. We were also lucky enough to have a few drinks with the manager who gave us a peek into the enormous Presidential suite.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on one of the higher floors to get a panoramic view over the whole resort
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 25, 2013

If you want to have joyful runaway vacation, this is not the one even though the garden, the large swimming pool and lobby were very unique. We spent 3 nights at this hotel and found issues everyday.

Here are the summary:
1. Location: this hotel was very far from anywhere and you can't go anywhere without one hour drive. There were no taxi due to faraway and the only way you can do is to eat at this hotel or take their shuttle which has three times per day.
2. Beach: the water is rough everyday and ocean is not clean. The worst thing was that there were lots of jelly fishes everyday in the ocean and we were told by the life guard not get into the ocean as a few guests got bite
3.Horrible infrastructure:
the air condition was not worked and the guest room was hot. I could not sleep at all. After I called customers service several times, both maintenance and customers kept telling me that I did not know how to use thermometer. Finally, they admit that they would need to switch AC to lower temperature at main control center. i guess they tried to have better KPI in energy saving instead they made customers suffer.
The shower sink was blocked and water went all over the bathroom. It took them one hour and half to come to repair and clean after I called several times.
The TV was broken
The hotel guest rooms, the public area's paint were peeled off and it looked like war zone. I can not image how it was maintained by the staff as it was only two years old. In addition, I felt the blanket and sheet were wet due to high humidity without AC in the room.
4. Slow Response Service and poor training:
There were fewer greetings from hotel staffs when they walked by.
The front desk was not organized and there was no one answered customer hot line during night time sometime. I was told that there were maintenance guy to check my AC. However, no one showed up all night
Every staff complaint they were short handed instead of doing their jobs right.
The room was not cleaned enough to meet Marriott standards.

Anyway, we have been staying a lot of Marriott, Renaissance hotels and this was the worst one ever. Hope Marriott talk to the general manager of this hotel to make improvement. However, if you want to spend holidays at SanYa, China, I would strongly recommend you to stay at Marriott resort Ya long Wan instead of this one as that was one of the best Marriott we stayed.

Room Tip: Trying to get A and C building
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank swt_cg
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there from 16-18 Apr 13. I was surprised to be upgraded to a suite with the sea view. The VIP Guest Officer, Chloe, was very helpful throughout my stay in providing info on the resort and the necessary travel schedule (I had to depart from Haikou Meilan Airport on 18 Apr). She could speak English quite fluently, likewise several of the hotel staff at the concierge and front desk. My happiest moment was getting back both my iPhones which I had dropped inside the hotel shuttle bus when I was going to town to get my train ticket. When I discovered the loss, I contacted the hotel to help me to check with the bus driver, Wayne. Personally, I had given up hope of getting back my mobile phones. The biggest loss would be the contacts and photos in my phones. I took a cab back to the hotel after getting my train ticket. When I arrived back at the hotel, the concierge staff informed me that the driver had found my phones and will be back after picking passengers from the Sanya Airport. I waited for Wayne to return and I wanted to thank him personally and to reward him. Wayne did not accept my reward as he said it was his duty. I persuaded him to accept the money as an appreciation of his honesty. This episode certainly speaks highly of the hotel staff's value and ethics.

Overall, the resort is a relaxing place and the facilities are well maintained. I like the garden and greenery environment.

Edmund
Singapore

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Edmund W
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed April 15, 2013

i tend to stay at nationally known chains for a reason as opposed to local hotels or resorts, especially in china. the reason for doing so is easy...quality control. I have stayed in several hotels and resorts in china owned by local enterprises and i have found their build quality and maintenance to be lacking the same quality and finish as the worldwide chains. This resort is the perfect example.

first off, the resort complex is simply stunning. when you arrive, you are greeted with professionalism and friendly smiling service. everyones uniform is fresh and crisp as are the rooms. they are spotless. the two story tall lobby is grand. the hotel doesn't seem to advertise it as such, but it appears to be a private beach for the guests only with beach chairs and umbrellas laid out for the guests with towels on each chair. very inviting and certainly tempting. the pool and surrounding area with its deck chaises was equally inviting. there is also a built in whirlpool in the pool, however i did not see a swim up bar which is almost de riguer at resorts these days.

the hotel itself is a bit isolated and about 45 minutes driving time from the sanya pheonix airport. that said, once you arrive, why would you want to leave? I HAD to leave after one night because of business, but i would have happily stayed if i could. i did not get the opportunity to sample all the resort dining options save for one. that one was the buffett breakfast served, i believe complimentary, with your booking which is fairly common in china.

this breakfast buffet was the most exceptional breakfast buffet i have ever experienced. the restaurant in which it is served is stunning and classy, decorated in dark hues. you also have the option of dining outdoors which is also very nice. back to the breakfast. the buffet is set up as different attended stations. having only been there one night and not being someone used to gorging at breakfast, i was not able to sample all the stations. i will try and list a few. there is the juice station with a decent variety of juices although i mainly stuck to orange and grapefruit and eschewed the coconut and other more exotic juices. there is an egg station for eggs or omelltes made to order or premade for your scooping, of course, all the accutrements of an egg station are there. crispy bacon, sausage, ham, potatoes of varying varieties and everything else you could want. there is the dumpling station with various types of dumplings and asian baos. there is a bread station which i believe incorporated waffles and pancakes. there is a dessert station with the most sublime warm bread pudding among other pastries (danishes etc). there were other stations as well, however i cannot remember them off the top of my head. i believe there is an asian noodle soup station popular with asians since this is a breakfast staple for them. and other stations, again, that i cannot recall.

again, i wish i could have stayed longer. i would have loved to have had a drink at the lobby bar and felt the cool breezes while looking out at the wide expanses of the property to the ocean.

I loved this place.

Room Tip: i had a garden view from my balcony and it was fine for me. the hotel is set back off the beach, so...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Location is great, right on the beach. Pool is huge so was not crowded at all. Have no complaints about the facilities, but had trouble communicating with staff re: baby cot/bed, tv problems, room service order messed up, etc. Staff at the restaurant were very great - helped us with sterilizing our baby's bottles and they could understand us well. Good luck getting understood by the phone operator/room service - had to spell what we needed over the phone (fork - F-o-r-k) - not fun at all.
In any case we would still go back - it's a great getaway from busy hk.

• Stayed March 2013